It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does the CRD use the stock V6 radiator setup?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry if this is a silly question but it is late and the FSM doesn't cover this per se.

About the only thing I haven't worked on/rebuilt or replaced yet is the radiator. There are 6 or 7 lines weeping Transmission fluid under pressure on the tranny cooler side where they hit the reservoir. I assume from the fan set up that the CRD is running the stock V6 setup.

Is this correct? Does anyone have a favorite aftermarket radiator? I am also considering an external tranny cooler but haven't decided yet. All I know is that I want to replace it before it fails.... :banghead:

Many Thanks!

2005 Black CRD Limited (18,000) now 130000 miles, GDE Eco-tune, Geordi timing belt job, Weeks delete and ARP studs. New rockers, head gasket, water pump and Etecno 7v plugs while we were in there. 100% Biodiesel 100% of the time!
2001 Dodge 24 valve Forest Green, 6" lift, full Banks Power Kit.

Post subject: Does the CRD use the stock V6 radiator setup?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:05 am 
LOST Addict

Biosmell wrote:
Sorry if this is a silly question but it is late and the FSM doesn't cover this per se.

About the only thing I haven't worked on/rebuilt or replaced yet is the radiator. There are 6 or 7 lines weeping Transmission fluid under pressure on the tranny cooler side where they hit the reservoir. I assume from the fan set up that the CRD is running the stock V6 setup.

Is this correct? Does anyone have a favorite aftermarket radiator? I am also considering an external tranny cooler but haven't decided yet. All I know is that I want to replace it before it fails.... :banghead:

Many Thanks!

No i don't believe it's the same radiator. I thought I remember seeing our radiators were about 2x the cost of the v6 ones when I was looking 6 months ago.

The trans cooler is Part of the a/c condenser, not the radiator.

Post subject: Re: Does the CRD use the stock V6 radiator setup?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 am 
LOST Addict

Biosmell wrote:
There are 6 or 7 lines weeping Transmission fluid under pressure on the tranny cooler side where they hit the reservoir.

What are these 6 or 7 weeping fluid lines?
The transmission cooler, which is the bottom portion of the AC condenser, only has two hard metal lines. One in and one out.

And what reservoir are you talking about?
The transmission fluid reservoir is the transmission oil pan.

Yes, the CRD radiator and the V6 radiator are different.
If you are looking at alternatives to the CRD radiator then you will have to find a "universal" type of appropriate size and make brackets to fit.

If your factory trans cooler is leaking, you can cut off the metal lines and plumb in a aftermarket cooler and zip tie it to the grille.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Slap me silly and ignore this post!

Yes AC condenser. And yes it is leaking at the welds (6 or 7) of the T cooler bottom section of the condenser. On the driver's side.

I noticed an intermittent drip while in the snow this winter (red on white!) and noticed it was pretty gunked up below. I assumed it was a cracked line ( we live on washboard back country roads) and ordered new ones. Once I got her up in the lift and cleaned off I could tell the leak was from above. More cleaning and then had a friend climb up and put her under load and sure enough T fluid weeping out the ends of the horizontal lines where they are brazed to the side tube.

Since I had other work to do (new greasable ujoits, torn CV boot etc) I put this one off for the moment and just kept an eye on things. I have already replaced the solenoid pack and installed the Transgo shift kit but my fear is if the cooler fails while driving the tranny compensating for pressure loss would be toast as well.

I like the idea of rerouting the lines to a new cooler. The AC works fine, but if the welds are failing I think that I should replace the whole unit ( And put in a secondary!) as next the AC will start leaking and necessitate replacement regardless.

I am not the biggest fan of DC's "commitment to quality" on these so far so if anyone has a favorite aftermarket AC/tranny condenser/cooler, that is what I was trying to get at.

2005 Black CRD Limited (18,000) now 130000 miles, GDE Eco-tune, Geordi timing belt job, Weeks delete and ARP studs. New rockers, head gasket, water pump and Etecno 7v plugs while we were in there. 100% Biodiesel 100% of the time!
2001 Dodge 24 valve Forest Green, 6" lift, full Banks Power Kit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:42 am 
LOST Addict

Thank you for clarifying. Makes more sense now.

From what I can tell, the CRD and V6 AC condensers are the same in dimentions and mounting points. The only difference is the trans cooler portion on the CRD.

If it were me, I would replace the condenser with the V6 version. Then install a aftermarket cooler for the transmission.