It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would you do?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I just discovered my 2005 CRD engine is toast. I had 179,000 on it. Blown head gasket. Engine is hydro locked.
Not sure if I should look for another engine or just cut my losses.
I installed a new transmission and torque converter at 160,000.
The Jeep is in good shape, and my wife loves it , but I don't know if its worth putting more money and time into this vehicle.
What do you guys think? Fix or sell for how much I don't know?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: What would you do?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

My :2cents: . Not sure if you bought yours new or second hand. Who in their right mind would buy a vehicle and have to spend thousands of additional dollars to replace/re-engineer all the stuff that can/will seemingly go wrong to make it sort of reliable? I will never get the money I have in mine back out but it is paid for. However, if I had catastrophic engine failure, I think that would push me over the edge and into cutting my losses territory.

If I drop a valve or something else that causes catastrophic engine failure, my CRD days are over. This is a vehicle I bought brand new and have maintained properly. These things shouldn't be happening, yet they are. 179,000 miles on a diesel is barely broken in, yet here you are faced with a decision to stick more money into it.

Even with all the solutions and expert advice on here, there comes a point where it simply isn't worth the amount of cash outlay to justify keeping such an obscure vehicle roadworthy as a daily driver, at least for my particular needs. As much as I enjoy mine, the reliability factor and the constant "What next?" questions leave a lot to be desired. Yet some guys can't get enough of these and own more than one. Ultimately it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and how much you are willing to put up with going forward.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Are you able the tear down the motor and fix it yourself?
If so, at least tear it down to find out exactly whats wrong with it.
If it is just a head gasket, thats a lot easier to fix than a cracked cylinder liner.

If you cant fix it yourself, either sell is as a whole or start parting it out. Either way, its not worth much without a running engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Procharged360 wrote:
The Jeep is in good shape, and my wife loves it...

It seems to me, that this is the part that goes beyond the dollars and sense issue, and we're not exactly in the position of determining what it's worth to you.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:12 pm 
LOST Member

Did it hydrolock while running? Did it hydrolock when you tried to start it? If it hydrolocked while trying to start it, the damage may be minimal. I think the only way to know the extent of the damage is to pull the head.

Don't leave the water in the cylinder(s). It will pit the cylinder wall. Drain all the coolant. Pull the injectors and spin the engine to get the water out of the cylinders. Squirt WD-40 down the cylinders and spin it over again. Repeat until all water is removed from cylinder(s). Squirt oil down the cylinders and spin it over again. Leave a coating of oil in the cylinders until you're ready to pull the head.

After your finished spinning over the engine. Drain the oil from the crankcase. Check the oil for water. If the oil has water in it, you should flush the engine after you re-assemble it.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 am 
LOST Newbie

The engine locked up when entering a freeway. My wife was driving the jeep. I would imagine that if it locked up at freeway speed it probably bent a rod.
I've done all my own work on this jeep. Timing belt, water pump, trans , axle bearings and seals etc.We bought it used with 30k.
I I really liked the vehicle,but I think I may just cut my losses and sell it as is.
Thank you all for your responses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

well that is exactly what you said everybody loves this thing when it runs right , but sad part is when that exhaust valve decides to quit and brakes loose , yes VM is a good engine manufacture, but why they don't say someting about the valves quality ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:24 pm 
LOST Member

been there, bought the CRD used for $7000 cdn. Drove it for a bit then the valves fugged up. amongst other things. $15,000 later........ got over 268,000 KM's on it, just dropped $750 CDN for a lift pump and wiringing harness, gonna be dropping a whole lot more soon on suspension bushings, a arms etc ($4000), EGER stage 1/2 delete kit ($500), GDE eco tune ($1600),and by then it be time for new timing belt again and new rockers and new valves and all that doo doo again ($9000)

Got too much into it to recover now..might as welll build it up.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 pm 
LOST Member

If you are not doing the work yourself, you'd be better off finding another one with low miles if you really love it.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm just thinking about this and wonder why our taxis in north america don't use this VM 2.8 i mean they would make more money and less downtime , in UK they go 24/7 non stop , maybe we should leave ours running all night , to keep this cylinder head at the same temperature all the time , thoughts??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
seems a lot cheaper to let a webasto do it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ahhh I know the answer to this :D

First thing you do is message geordi. I suppose actually first thing to do is give the finger to all diesel mechanics in your area. Then second thing message geordi.

But almost always message geordi. I can go into the details of my endeavor with my CRD and trust me ... just message geordi it'll be the best thing you can do.

Idparts is great too ... sadly if youre Canadian it might hurt a bit more. When I had my problem the CDN dollar was about close to 1:1 so it was great.