It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TC and Transgo Shift kit installation.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 pm 
LOST Addict

You can swap in any TCM you like, as long as it's for a 545rfe. You don't need to program the VIN into it. But shift characteristics will vary depending on engine and vehicle type.
I don't think your problem is with the TCM.

I think the problem is the solenoid pack.
I'm pretty sure your 545rfe has the white connector.
Whatever you get, whether it's just a solenoid pack or valve body with solenoid pack, make sure the connector is the same color as what you have.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I agree it's more likely to be a solenoid pack than the TCM.
I think it's as likely to be an accumulator problem as the solenoid pack.
If he does a quick-learn procedure and the problem is not fixed, or comes back again in a month or so, it's most likely an OD clutch problem.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you all for the timely replies!. I have my silver 05 CRD still, so first Im going to attempt to just replace the TCM from there and see what that will do, if it won't do anything, then I'm going to attempt to swap out the entire valve body from the silver with the original TCM from the Khaki one. If that doesn't work then I'm just going to take the tranny from the silver one and swap out into the khaki one and call it a day. The silver one had no issues with the tranny!!

BTW! how do I do the "relearn" thing or whatever you all are saying for me to try.

EHM
Weeks Stage 1 and 2 EGR delete
Straight piped exhaust
35psi Boost Guage
Fumoto oil valve

2006 Dark Khaki KJ CRD Sport 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:49 am 
LOST Addict

First of all you need access to a scanner that can initialize the test.
Then you just do exactly what the scanner tells you to do. It will "learn" the condition of your transmission, and adjust to it as well as it can.
Then you drive it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:57 am 

bigE.94 wrote:
Thank you all for the timely replies!. I have my silver 05 CRD still, so first Im going to attempt to just replace the TCM from there and see what that will do, if it won't do anything, then I'm going to attempt to swap out the entire valve body from the silver with the original TCM from the Khaki one. If that doesn't work then I'm just going to take the tranny from the silver one and swap out into the khaki one and call it a day. The silver one had no issues with the tranny!!

BTW! how do I do the "relearn" thing or whatever you all are saying for me to try.

See section 3.2.3, pages 3-5 of the Transmission manual that is online!

LINK:> 3.2.3 DRIVE LEARN PROCEDURE – 45/545RFE

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alrighty fellas. After spending almost 3 weeks at 2 different transmission shops. (1st shop blew smoke up my booty and took up a week while doing absolutely nothing to it) I finally had a shop hook it up to one of their computers/scanners and these where the findings: "scan tool shows trans range sensor reading invalid and therefore we cant perform quick learn procedure." They did drop my pan and they showed it to me and it had a little bit more of the friction dust from the clutches. MY question now is. Where is this trans range sensor and if I attempt to swap out the valve body from the other jeep will it also need to have the quick learn procedure done? While only having 1-2 gear available now. Please help.

If anybody knows anybody that knows how to work on these CRD's in the state of washington and near the seattle/tacoma area don't hesitate to recommend them.

EHM
Straight piped exhaust
35psi Boost Guage
Fumoto oil valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:10 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm pretty sure that the transmission range sensor is part of the solenoid pack, on top of the valve body.

Yes, you can swap over the valve body from another 545rfe to see if that fixes it. No quick learn required.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 pm 

bigE.94 wrote:
If anybody knows anybody that knows how to work on these CRD's in the state of washington and near the seattle/tacoma area don't hesitate to recommend them.

The 545RFE transmission is a very common transmission that was used in untold numbers of Jeep and Dodge vehicles. Any GOOD CONFIDENT transmission facility should be able to diagnose and recommend any needed repairs. :wink:
Sorry, wish you were closer, I have a super transmission shop in my town with an owner who really knows his stuff.....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:45 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
bigE.94 wrote:

The 545RFE transmission is a very common transmission that was used in untold numbers of Jeep and Dodge vehicles. Any GOOD CONFIDENT transmission facility should be able to diagnose and recommend any needed repairs. :wink:
Sorry, wish you were closer, I have a super transmission shop in my town with an owner who really knows his stuff.....

That is why I am so shocked that the shops around here, their first impulse is to just sell me a new tranny and not even try to break it down and rebuild it. kinda makes me wonder IF they even know anything about transmissions.

EHM
Straight piped exhaust
35psi Boost Guage
Fumoto oil valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:45 am 

bigE.94 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
bigE.94 wrote:

That is why I am so shocked that the shops around here, their first impulse is to just sell me a new tranny and not even try to break it down and rebuild it. kinda makes me wonder IF they even know anything about transmissions.

Difference between a "parts changer" and a true mechanic who knows how to diagnose and only repair what is needed! :wink:
Not just start throwing parts at it in a best guess hope of repair! :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Then again, some very reputable shops only want to sell / install transmissions that they know have been gone completely through either by themselves or someone they trust, so they can warranty the work. To pull a customer's tranny apart and just replace the failed or worn parts carries a high risk that when they put the trans back in, the next weakest link will fail, and they're stuck with an unhappy customer who will probably have to pay more than they should have, and/or end up with a lawsuit.

the trick is: how do you tell the difference?

Mainly you want the shop with the best reputation for standing behind their work. Check online reviews, but keep in mind, nearly every customer with a complaint will have their say, but only 1 in 5 at best, of the happy customers will chime in.

Chat with folks in their waiting room if they have one. See if any are repeat customers.

Ask for customer references. Any good reputable shop will usually have customers that don't mind people calling to ask about their experience. Bonus points if they are local businesses that always come there for trans work.

One path I used was I called my insurance (Farmers, and later State Farm) and asked where they preferred their body work be done. Then called that business, and asked where they send their vehicles that had transmission damage. That worked well for me in Klamath Falls OR, Imperial Beach CA (referred to Chula Vista) and Poway CA. Strangely enough no one ever referred me to any Aamco shop.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 am 

A good experienced transmission repair shop facility will completely rebuild your transmission unless there is something catastrophically wrong with it. They make their money by rebuilding, not selling someone else's remanufactured transmission. I know two different local transmission shop owners/rebuilders personally and this is what they do.
They rebuild by: disassembling transmission completely and mechanically cleaning all parts thoroughly and then inspect all parts for any wear or problems. They replace all friction parts, seals, gaskets, etc... and all items that are prone to wear and any parts found to be defective along with installing a new oil pump. They reinstall, test, and stand behind their work/rebuild with a warranty.... :wink:

Anyone can purchase a remanufactured engine or transmission from one of the parts stores or even online, but if you have a problem with it, getting warranty work can be a real challenge! Do you want to have to take engine or transmission back out and send it back or simply take it to the local repair facility that performed the rebuild and let them handle it. :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Well like I said earlier. Im still in need of a shop that's fairly local to me that knows how to deal with this tranny. But small update. I did swap valve bodies on the jeeps, and still the newer brown jeep that got the new TC and the front pump is still in some sort of limp mode where it is restricted to 1-2nd gears, while the older 05 even with the valve body that had the shift kit in it, still rowed through all the gears and even though the front hub was screaming bloody murder and the poor engine with its own set of problms, was dumping smoke, it was still able to hit 60mph no problem and shift smoothly as well... At this point, I'm lost.. Could it really be that the speed sensors are messing it up that badly but not reading things correctly? At this point I'm game to even swap out the TCM's between the 2. I wouldn't want to open that pandoras box, but if I have to then I will.

EHM
Straight piped exhaust
35psi Boost Guage
Fumoto oil valve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 am 
LOST Member

When I put the transgo in my 06 it did all sorts of weird stuff for awhile. the worst was the shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It felt like bangshifting a manual. I took it easy on it for a few days and it got alittle better but not to my liking.

I had the dealer did a relearn (this was the key) and kept the fluid level high and the problem got far better.

I drove it soft after that for about 350 miles and then started to really beat on it more. It shifts so nice and quick now the mushy shifting in my 05 bothers the crap out of me anymore.

I think i put this kit in around 135k... when I took the trans all apart the clutches inside still looked really new, the printed P/N's on them were plainly visible still. jeep has over 160k on it now and I have not had any other issues with it.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Great thread guys. Thanks for all of this info.

I have a quick question about the transgo shift kit install.... I have a brand new (updated) trans pump to install along with my shift kit. Does it already have the updated TC Limit assembly or do I need to install the new version that comes with the transgo kit? Anything else need updated on the pump itself?

Page 1 / step 2
https://res.cloudinary.com/transgo/wbiss/sk/SK45RFE.pdf

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:55 pm 

I would follow the TransGo instructions. A new front pump assembly will only contain stock parts.
What about the torque converter, you are *replacing it with a a much better upgraded unit like a SunCoast while you got it out?
(*if you have not already upgraded it)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes. Suncoast is going. I had originally done a 09 hemi tranny swap and ran with original ram TC (50k on both). Got 5k out of it before that TC (sounded like a rain stick) and/or pump failed.

In regards to the ram tranny....just for reassurance...it should be ok to run the ram solenoid with the ram tranny with a 06 crd TCM w/GDE eco tune right? Just want to be sure that my combo of parts hasn't contributed to my current failure.

Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:53 pm 

As long as the hemi transmission has the correct solenoid pack in it. My understanding is the later model RFE545's had a different color solenoid pack in them and you have to swap it out to use in the 05/06 Liberty CRDs. You can search this site for the info as it has been posted and discussed before or Google it.
But the TCM and tune should be just fine with any RFE545 transmission. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:15 am 

May be more info than you want, but here is what I found on the solenoid pack requirements:

Any 545RFE or 68RFE will bolt up to the Jeep Liberty. (5 or 6 speed is controlled by the TCM)
Later model transmissions used a different solenoid pack (GRAY Connector) that is NOT compatible with the 05-06 model electronics. (TCM)
So you may have to remove your solenoid pack from your current tranny and install it in any newer 545RFE you purchase.
They are identified by their color.
If you are using a later model Hemi transmission like the 68RFE, you will have to swap the solenoid pack back to the earlier model (WHITE Connector) solenoid pack which is compatible with the Jeep CRD's TCM (electronics). Just make sure to use the one with the white connector.

Read more, it gets a little deeper:
WHITE-CONNECTOR SOLENOID BLOCKS
The white-connector solenoid block (Figure 4) came out in 2004 with an updated (type 2) transmission range sensor plate. You’ll see these solenoid blocks used with the 545RFE and 68RFE transmissions.

GRAY-CONNECTOR SOLENOID BLOCKS
The gray-connector solenoid block came out in 2009 and has one less solenoid than the white-connector solenoid. It uses the same base gasket as the white-connector solenoid block.
The transmission range sensor plate is where the confusion starts. From 2009 to around 2011, it’ll still use the type-2 transmission range sensor plate, which works with vehicles that have manual 1 and manual 2 positions on the shifter.

There’s no cutoff day on the change to the type-3 transmission range sensor plate. The type-3 transmission range sensor plate has a pocket depth of 0.158” (4.0mm) and the side of the manual valve slot will be 0.500” (12.7mm). This type-3 plate fits vehicles without manual 1 or manual 2 shifter positions.

You can replace the gray-connector solenoid block with a white-connector solenoid block, as long as you use the right transmission range sensor plate: Type 2 with cars that have manual 1 and manual 2 on the shifter, type 3 if it just has Drive on the shifter.

A little attention to the details will help you avoid confusion when swapping RFE transmissions.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:01 am 
LOST Newbie

Didn't see this but thanks for sharing your research! It's much appreciated.

I finally finished my transmission install a few days ago. This included a new/updated pump, transgo kit, and suncoast TC. Performed a quick relearn....so far....so good. Everything seems to be in working order.

Last edited by hunter0781 on Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.