It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TC and Transgo Shift kit installation.
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:28 am 

:BANANA: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:
Enjoy your new transmission, you got all the right parts!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:29 pm 
LOST Member

Can’t wait to do this soon. Similar approach. Everything shifts fine just plan to do the same replacement as discussed here (no dodge just my stock). I suspect the clutches and such inside are fine. Time will tell lol.

There is no tutorial or video on pulling the tranny? I found one on YouTube for the 42RE I think but not 545RFE on Liberty.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had my transmission rebuilt using a Florida torque converter, ID Parts front pump and Transgo shift kit. The original tcm went south. Replaced with a used tcm found on this forum. That tcm went south after a while then spent $45 for a used Dodge 1500 tcm at the local junkyard. Didn’t need to have either tcm programmed. The tcm were plug and play. I found the recommended part # on this forum. Took the pickup truck tcm a while to learn the shift routine but is working excellent with one exception. If you stomp the throttle the transmission will shift into neutral and redline the engine. This is the drawback using the pickup tcm. Did that one time. Most of the time when driving I’ll modulate the shift with throttle just like having a standard. Other times I’ll press and hold the the throttle and let the transmission do its thing. Learned when accelerating from a red light or stop sign just feed throttle in slowly and engine torque at low rpm will usually accelerate the Liberty much faster than anyone around me. It’s a blast to drive. Almost at 200k miles.

In tank harness/fuel pump
Airtex rear bag, Fujimoto valve
Upgraded lifters, exhaust valves, fuel head
Florida torque converter, ID trans pump
Transgo shift kit, GM fan
2 micron filter, Bilstein shocks
Viscous heater delete

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:09 pm 

That is the biggest drawback to using a TCM from either a Dodge truck or other Jeep gasser vehicles that came with the 545RFE transmission.
Jeep CRD Owners who have went this route and installed a gasser TCM have reported and also warned users to be very cognisant of the possible engine over revving issue especially when downshifting into a lower gear to accelerate. The TCM programming still thinks it is a gas engine with much higher REV limits versus the low revving diesel engine.
Bottom line, you are much better off sticking with a TCM for a diesel model if you can find one. :juggle:

If you search this forum, LOSTJeeps, there is quite a bit of discussion on this subject in years past. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

That's very interesting. Good to know. I will report back how my install goes on my original post. Since I work will be a multi week process but hopefully worth it!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92669

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:49 pm 
LOST Member

daytona701 wrote:
I had my transmission rebuilt using a Florida torque converter, ID Parts front pump and Transgo shift kit. The original tcm went south. Replaced with a used tcm found on this forum. That tcm went south after a while then spent $45 for a used Dodge 1500 tcm at the local junkyard. Didn’t need to have either tcm programmed. The tcm were plug and play. I found the recommended part # on this forum. Took the pickup truck tcm a while to learn the shift routine but is working excellent with one exception. If you stomp the throttle the transmission will shift into neutral and redline the engine. This is the drawback using the pickup tcm. Did that one time. Most of the time when driving I’ll modulate the shift with throttle just like having a standard. Other times I’ll press and hold the the throttle and let the transmission do its thing. Learned when accelerating from a red light or stop sign just feed throttle in slowly and engine torque at low rpm will usually accelerate the Liberty much faster than anyone around me. It’s a blast to drive. Almost at 200k miles.

200k! That's pretty awesome. My goal is 300k+ ;)

I bought mine at 75k miles, supposedly just a commuter between Houston and Montana somewhere. I have done mostly highway also to 130k before my TC (hopefully) issues. So I'm gambling the internal clutches and things are OK. It always shifted fine etc, just going crazy lately with TC lockup and making awful noises stalling the engine. I parked it now and began the teardown before I even can order parts..hopefully this week. But I have to tear into it either way it is no longer reliable or driveable.