It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission Issues
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:54 pm 
LOST Member

My transmission is starting to act up I think. I will list symptoms below. I'm wondering, suspecting, the TC is going out, but wanted to get yall's opinion.

1. When goes from 1 to 2nd gear, it sometimes drops real low RPM and acts like it has zero power. It shutters makes crazy noises sounds nasty. This also happens from 2 to 3rd gear sometimes, not always!. It seems to happen worse under light acceleration than heavy.
2. Sometimes it will long hold 4th gear, doesn't wanna change until wind past 3k RPM, this happens less often.
3. Both the above happens when it's hot and warmed up, after longer highway driving then come to stop. Sometimes it will downshift and do the low shutter/low power. This is bad in traffic when try to accelerate it will just sit there with no throttle response up to 5-10+seconds.
4. When cold, the oil shows past the hot mark. I read elsewhere this can be normal or because of "drain back". It has always been like this since I bought it and no issues. Bought at 75k, how has 130k miles. Mostly highway miles. I towed once or twice heavy, but otherwise easy highway life for it. I live in rural area and sometimes drive into city for work, so there is some stop and go.
5. I did check oil today and found the bottom of dipstick kind of black nasty looking. Would it be worth trying an oil change? Relatively cheap. Could this be debris from TC or other transmission issues like clutches or valve body?
6. I expect to pull it one day and replace the TC with a suncoast if they are still available. Maybe new oil pump. And not sure what else the actual tranny needs besides fresh oil and filters

Does this sound more like TC or the transmission? It's slowly getting worse but I wanted to "get my moneys' worth" out of it before pulling it. Do I risk further damage to the transmission? Does the transmission itself need a rebuild or just a new TC?

Thank you!!

Post subject: Re: Transmission Issues
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:42 pm 
LOST Member

The below wwdiesel you posted elsewhere almost sounds like the cause or behavior? I’m not exactly sure what surge is but it has no power sluggish then surges forward once it gets the torque command back or whatever mechanical load is released. Not sure what it does lol.

Severe wear of the TC limit valve bore in the front pump housing results in loss of converter release oil pressure. Reduced release pressure at low speed and idle can drag the converter linings, causing engine surge, pulsation or stall.
The torque converter limit valve spring in the 45RFE, 545RFE front pump can often break. This valve limits converter release pressure. A broken spring can cause the valve to become stuck and result in converter clutch release issues including engine stalls at low speeds.
Chrysler vehicles equipped with 45RFE, 545RFE and 68RFE transmissions often experience TCC related troubles. These may or may not include trouble codes accompanied by TC clutch slip, no lockup, overheating and / or loss of fuel economy. In some cases, the TC clutches may be unable to release TC lockup, resulting in improper lockup functions and / or complete engine stalling. Problems such as these can be caused by excess wear in the TCC switch valve bore, which allows vital control pressure to escape the circuit. Replacing the complete transmission oil pump assembly with a new updated assembly or reconditioning the bores with the proper tools and installing an oversized TCC switch valve kit can restore crucial clearances for renewed TCC control and operation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:47 pm 

Replacing the front pump assembly with the new updated version along with installing a TransGo kit and of course new ATF+4 and Mopar filters most likely will solve all your transmission issues. A SunCoast torque converter is a great choice!
A worn out front pump assembly can cause all kinds of problems and issues. There are several parts in the pump assembly that are subject to wear and failure.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:08 pm 
LOST Member

Can this be done in place? Or do you have to pull it. If I have to I’ll do the TC. What about other items like a real full rebuild?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:03 am 

The transmission and torque converter must be removed to be able to replace the front pump assembly. See picture below:
Complete overhaul is a judgement call based on symptoms.
A new front pump with the updated version along with a good heavy duty torque converter and a TransGo Kit can solve a lot of problems with this transmission. But it certainly may not solve every problem depending on where the issues are.
Worn bans or other mechanical problems inside the transmission would certainly require a complete overhaul or replacement.
A bad solenoid pack could also cause many shift related problems. See second picture below:
A good transmission shop should be able to diagnose and guide you as to what is needed.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:01 am 
LOST Member

My next question would be who are the reputable shops? Particularly in Texas or the south at least. I could ship it.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:09 pm 
LOST Member

Could it be speed sensors ? Why would the engine have power hesitation randomly in those gears? Almost like something electrical is de throttling the engine briefly. Doesn’t make sense mechanically does it?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:34 pm 
LOST Member

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78790

This is actually what mine is doing! Maybe TC isn't unlocking? I need to think about that when it occurs, but when decelerate, sometimes, it will chug to stop and then when accelerate it will like sit there for few secs with no power. Doesn't quite match but definitely some similarities.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:46 pm 
LOST Member

My fluid is full past the "hot" mark already, though. And I did see the black sludge at bottom of stick a little, which I never did before in the past. I can try changing the fluid and filters to see if anything improves, worth a shot? Is that even beneficial without a real flush? It will freshen up the fluid at least and change the filters, maybe they are partially clogged starving some things for fluid? hmm

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:59 pm 
LOST Member

It almost seems as if the TC “stall” function isn’t working right. It’s unlocked but as come to stop it keeps dragging engine down causing it to lose power or stall when tried to go. I’m not sure how shift points work with respect to TC stall speed but then when it shifts up there is no stalling in the TC causing the engine to shutter and stall. Does this make sense or sound plausible?

Consistently only does this after hard long highway runs when everything hot. Doesn’t do when cold. Seems opposite if many peoples descriptions here.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:01 am 
LOST Member

I guess all the people who own CRD's have since moved on or passed on themselves..

I will try to do the tranny cooler flush out method and put fresh fluid / filters in and see if it helps, will report back here.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

You may also have an electrical connection issue causing your problems. See link below.
https://www.transmissiondigest.com/december-2017-issue/

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:47 pm 
LOST Member

That's a very good reference thank you! I don't think it is that though, seems purely mechanical. It's like the TC gets warm at >75mph sustained highway speeds and acts up when stop. I'm not perfectly up on how the TC operation is in all situations. But that's what it does the tranny shifts and it acts as if the TC is locked too soon or the opposite of slipping, causing a stall in the engine and lack of power. It shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 and shudders/lacks power. The same can happen when coming all the way to a stop like it isn't fully releasing or "stalling" (of the TC that is). Hard to explain, I wish I knew someone who could drive it. Maybe I'll drive over to wwdiesel area ;). Kidding, I'm in Texas too far. I do need a good transmission shop recommendation though. I saw some referrals off of street smart transmissions in my local area, I guess that is a start.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:44 pm 

The stall is caused by wear problems in the front pump not releasing the TC lockup function.
Read this, it explains the issue in detail!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:25 am 
LOST Member

Interesting. So sounds like I need to pull it and do the pump and TC while I’m there.

The main question is if I don’t for a while will it further damage anything.

Is the pump and TC something I could do myself once out? I wouldn’t try to tackle the inners of auto tranny but I can do most other mechanical tasks.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:44 am 
LOST Member

Do you think changing fluid would help any ? Or is that wasting money.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:29 am 
LOST Member

That’s good information. That’s exactly what mine is doing! Except only when it’s hot lol.

I guess it will just continue to get worse until it no longer unlocks.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:20 am 
LOST Member

https://transgo.com/product-details/rfe-shift-kit/

To be clear this is the correct shift kit? They also state it saves the cost of a new pump by replacing certain components, so would I need to replace the pump?

When you say front pump assembly you mean the entire oil pump with shaft right.

Finally, besides the Suncoast TC, are there any further parts required for those 3 items, seals etc?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:42 pm 

jagster936 wrote:
https://transgo.com/product-details/rfe-shift-kit/
To be clear this is the correct shift kit? They also state it saves the cost of a new pump by replacing certain components, so would I need to replace the pump?
When you say front pump assembly you mean the entire oil pump with shaft right.
Finally, besides the Suncoast TC, are there any further parts required for those 3 items, seals etc?

That is the correct TransGo Kit.
The front pump assembly will still need to be replaced in its entirety, The TransGo Kit will not solve the problems of a worn out front pump assembly!

Suggested Parts w/part numbers:
    TransGo Kit: 45RFE-HD2-A
    Suncoast TC: CRD-1ES TC
    New updated Front Pump Assembly: 68009879AB
    New cover plate for updated front pump: 68009859AB
    ATF+4 (12-13 quarts required with TC & front pump replacement)
    New Mopar Transmission filters (*2 required, only use OEM Mopar filters)
    *- flat transmission filter - 5013470AE
    *- spin-on transmission filter - 5179267AD
    LubeLocker Transmission Oil Pan Gasket LUB-LLT-CRFE

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH