It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting some oil around the turbo, and turbo hoses
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, so ive been noticing a bunch of oil coming out from the hose to the intercooler. I noticed this when there was some mysterious oil on my hood. I at first thought it was from the rust proofing job... but I think its actually coming from the intercooler hose.
There is some amount of oil around the turbo ... I was under the impression that some oil should be ok. But at this point im not sure.
The engine has about 140k miles on it and Ive had it for the last 30 or so and I have not done a turbo rebuild or replace.

I would post some images but ... not exarcly sure how.

Post subject: Re: Getting some oil around the turbo, and turbo hoses
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I think you have a hole on your intercooler hose.
You should remove and inspect it.
Also remove and inspect the turbo inlet hose.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I have removed the intercooler hose, because it seemed like the oil was lubing the plastic and sliding off. Then I removed the airbox and the intake elbow to the turbo then I used a rag to clean up the oil and went under the car to trace the oil hose to the turbo ... which had some oil but not a lot.

I cannot see in the place where the hose connects to the turbo ... but it seems that's where the issue might be. I am going to look for one of those snakey cams to see if I can see in there.

I suppose I might have to replace the oil hose from the engine to the turbo ?

Post subject: Getting some oil around the turbo, and turbo hoses
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:30 pm 
LOST Addict

You can kinda see the oil drain hose if you look from underneath along the downpipe.

Was you intake elbow ok? I just replaced mine because it was ripped and leaking oil from the CCV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently had to replace my intake elbow as well ... maybe beginning of the year or so. The thing was ripped above the collar. I literarily just popped it off by mistake when I took off the airbox.

Im not actually sure which is the oil drain, is that the one coming downwards from the turbo into the block ? I thought that was the oil feed line ... maybe I need to find the oil feed line.

Also noticed there is oil coming from the smaller pipe that's attached to the intake pipe ... originates somewhere on top of the engine block from this plastic puck looking thing. So I imagine that thing is whats pushing oil into the intake somehow.

But for now I just cleaned up the oil with a rag and tightened the hoses up see what happens.

Sort of scarry as im going on a long trip, going to do about 500 miles or so(1000km).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just to make sure we are on the same page:
1. the air filter box to turbo intake hose is not the "intake elbow" or "intake pipe"; the intake elbow is a metal fitting between the flow control valve and the intake on the driver's side of the engine. From the description I think you are saying that last year that hose was replaced because it tore at the collar (presumably where it attaches to the turbo). If so that's not unusual and oil can leak from the tear to blow all over the turbo/passenger side of the engine.
2. the "plastic puck looking thing" on top of the engine is the CCV (crankcase ventilation valve) and a hose runs from it to the air filter box to turbo hose where it snaps into a fitting on that hose. The upper end is just a push fitting to the CCV and can seep oil. The CCV is the source (something like this has been on engines since the late 1960s or so to vent oily mist from the crankcase back into the intake instead of the older practice of just letting it drip on the ground) of the oil that drips into the hose just in front of the turbo and causes it to eventually rot.
3. the turbo oil drain is gravity fed, no pressure to speak of, down to the block with only a grommet seal that can weep a bit of oil but that's harmless
4. the oil pressure feed is bolted to the block back near the crank position sensor, see engine pics on my tech hints PDF on SirSams document link, and to the turbo. Any leak it that line would likely spray oil everywhere.
5. you mention a leak at an intercooler hose and oil on the hood which suggests it's the turbo to intercooler hose. If so detach hose from intercooler; clean inside of hose and intercooler fitting; push hose back on fitting as far on as it will go; seat clamp just forward (toward the intercooler) of the ridge on the intercooler fitting (not on the ridge) and tighten firmly but not Godzilla (good to recheck tightness after a few hundred miles of driving).

Strongly suggest you read SirSams NOOB guide

Strongly suggest you get the engine warm, not hot, liberally spray with a good engine degreaser, let sit 15 minutes or so, rinse (no pressure spray) off with hose; drive till engine hot to get rid of moisture; repeat if needed. After that keep an eye on oil sources (may need to add UV dye to oil and use UV light). Wiping with rag is waste or rags and time.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:48 pm 

1.The correct Mopar name for the rubber connector hose between the air cleaner box and the turbo intake is:
"HOSE. Clean Air"
Part Number: 53013104AE
fits 2005 & 2006 Jeep Liberty

ID Parts list it as:
"Turbocharger Inlet Hose" (Liberty CRD)
OEM Part Number: 53013104AE
Manufacturer Number: 53013104AE

2. Most Jeep CRD owners add a ProVent coalescing filter model 200 between the CCV puck on top of the engine and the turbo clean air intake hose to keep the oil out of the hose and from accumulating in the bottom of the CAC (charge air cooler / intercooler). This will prevent the early deterioration and untimely rotting of the rubber inlet hose. They are available from several on-line suppliers, just do a google search for ProVent 200.

3. Turbo oil drain pipe or drain line comes off bottom of turbo housing and is routed down into the side of the engine block where it drains back into the oil pan as shown in this picture:

4. Turbo bearing oil supply feed line:

5. If your turbo boost hoses are being blown off; remove them, clean the inside of them good with some brake cleaner and a rag until you get all the oil off the rubber and the mating plastic surface where they attach. Put a small amount of contact or hi-tack glue on the mating surface and clamp the hoses back in place and let dry for a couple of hours. Hoses will not blow off again!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 pm 
LOST Addict

If your turbo oil supply line is leaking, try tightening the bolt on top of the turbo.
If that doesnt help, you will have to remove the bolt and replace the two copper washers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:52 am 
LOST Member

Adding a provent 200 and a new turbo inlet hose sorted this issue out for me.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 am 

undrgnd wrote:
Adding a provent 200 and a new turbo inlet hose sorted this issue out for me.

That is Great news, glad you added the ProVent filter! :mrgreen:
These vehicles should have come from the factory with a ProVent filter or one of similar design and function! :roll:

How many times over and over on this forum have we seen a CRD owner posting questions about having issues with oil in and / or rotted out turbo inlet hose, oil in and / or rotted out boost hoses, oil accumulation in the CAC (intercooler), or oil leaks associated with one or more of the aforementioned items? :banghead:

I vehemently wish all Jeep CRD owners who have not done so could add a ProVent to their vehicle like so many have done; it solves several issues and is a win-win addition for both owner and vehicle....

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Lessons Learned in my first year... I'm sure I'm leaving things out, and certainly my priorities are probably different than others'.

CRD guide, (short version)

Standard (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best)
2) Provent (or similar as long as it works)
3) Weeks kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade
4) ARP Studs
5) Silicone CAC hoses

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / dif locks if needed / wanted.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Last edited by GordnadoCRD on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow, this is great information :)

Thank you. I will have to come back to this thread as I am heading up on vacation with the jeep. Will report back if anything blows :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:40 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Lessons Learned in my first year... I'm sure I'm leaving things out, and certainly my priorities are probably different than others'.

CRD guide, (short version)

Standard (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best)
2) Provent (or similar as long as it works)
3) Weeks kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade
4) ARP Studs
5) Silicone CAC hoses

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / dif locks if needed / wanted.

Excellent List Gordon, dead on!!!! :rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm 
LOST Member

Second on the above ^^. Its a great list for any noob out there who wants to know what they should look for when buying one of these beasts. Thanks for posting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Great list pretty much same as mine with following addition:

Timing belt and water pump when mileage or years indicates for me (80,000 / 6 years) $400 parts ASAP
Update Fuel Filter head or unplug heater plug one closest to drivers side until you do (Free to unplug) will not cause CEL yields NO FIRE
Unplug mass air flow sensor (ORM) FREE or eliminate or block the egr ORM will cause Check Engine Light (CEL)
Nowadays although I haven't used this method one of the Yetti tunes will turn off check engine light (cheap) see CRD Tech topics
Change ALL Fluids and filters you don't know for absolutely sure when they were changed USE ONLY the fluids recommended here especially ATF 4 for transmission and transfer case The fluids are not inexpensive but are essential

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
True, I kind of glazed over all the periodic maintenance stuff. It's pretty much up to the individual to decide what filter solutions / brands, etc, they want to use.
The whole point isn't to make a schedule, it's to DO the schedule.

With a spark ignition engine, they are generally more forgiving on maintenance schedules, and repairing things when they break.

With any diesel the WHOLE thing is to schedule and do the repairs BEFORE they break. It's expensive enough to do it then.
If it breaks before you get it done, then you get into comparably ridiculous money. (A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money.)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:04 am 
LOST Member

AndrewCRD wrote:
Wow, this is great information :)

Thank you. I will have to come back to this thread as I am heading up on vacation with the jeep. Will report back if anything blows :)

I see you haven't posted in four years, so I assume you're not around anymore...

But on the off chance you are, I was wondering what you discovered about your oil source? While replacing my transmission lines I noticed some oil on the downpipe. Looks like it's originating at the downpipe collar but haven't dug in to see yet. Power washed the area, need to drive it some more to see how much comes back and then take a look inside.

Cheers,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B