It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are your fluid choices?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Right now their best prices are the 1 gallon jugs. Like $12/gallon, if you live in the south and can use 15W40.

The only difference is the cold startup flow.. like the first 2-6 minutes of running when started up dead cold. If you get in, start it, and let it idle while you put your seat belt on and check the mirrors, put it in N for a couple minutes while the dog gets comfortable before driving off, it will then be in the 40 weight mode and that's the important part. Not the 0W or 5W 10W or 15W. Those exist ONLY for the first minute or 2 of dead cold startup. Which one you need depends on HOW COLD the cold startup is.

IF you have a webasto heater, then you really will want to wait while it idles for a few minutes, because the engine will be fully warmed up, ready to go, and thinks everything is fine, but the oil coming out of the sump needs a chance to warm a bit before it's ready to deal with driving stresses. But having the engine warm via the webasto will warm the oil much faster than when the whole engine is sub-zero.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 pm 

This is an enlightening Oil Report article I got from Blackstone Laboratories today on "Which Brand is Best?"!

In Diesel engine, both Mobil 1 TDT and Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 oils both had better numbers than Amsoil and that is even with both Mobil oils having higher mileages. :shock:
Shell Rotella T6 came in a close second with still better numbers than Amsoil.

These lab results were from VW 1.9 TDI engines
I did notice that the Mobil 1, M1 Delvac & Rotella T6 all had much higher Zinc numbers than the rest of the oils tested! That may be an indicator?

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f641390cb ... 17_ENG.pdf
See Fig.s 8 & 9...

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Here is Mobile's take on
Conventional VS Synthetic engine oils.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-maintenance/learn-about-motor-oil-facts/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-oil?WT.ac=Home-T2_SyntheticVsConventional

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:54 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
This is an enlightening Oil Report article I got from Blackstone Laboratories today on "Which Brand is Best?"!

In Diesel engine, both Mobil 1 TDT and Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 oils both had better numbers than Amsoil and that is even with both Mobil oils having higher mileages. :shock:
Shell Rotella T6 came in a close second with still better numbers than Amsoil.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f641390cb ... 17_ENG.pdf
See Fig.s 8 & 9...

:SOMBRERO:

Interesting that regular Amsoil 5W-30 tested better than their Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30. :shock:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:49 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Interesting that regular Amsoil 5W-30 tested better than their Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30. :shock:

Gordon I agree with your analogy.
After all the hype I have heard from people on here and a few email buddies I would have expected Amsoil to have the very best test numbers of any oil tested., wrong!
Maybe it is not as great of an oil as a lot of people have been brainwashed into thinking it is and paying those premium prices for it???? :shock:
Mobil 1 & Rotella T6 are looking better and better based on those test result numbers....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't use it myself -
But,
IIRC they were, (domestically) along with Mobil 1 and Valvoline, in the first wave of synthetic oils to be marketed to the public, 40 something years ago. Red Line entered the market a few years later, along with some other imported lines selling as "parasynthetic" or "synthetic blend".
They do have as much experience developing full synthetics and additive packages as anyone else. Perhaps they weren't the best performer, but certainly are in the running, and above and beyond our engine's requirements.

That said, it still perks my interest that their cheap oil is as good as their top of the line oil. Perhaps the difference is in the durability of their additive package.

I dunno.

Here is my favorite part:
Our point here is not to tell you that you should or shouldn’t use a certain type of oil, so by all means, feel free to stick with what’s working for you. All we’re saying is, if you want to try an oil that maybe costs a little less, you probably don’t need to worry about it causing any problems.
Send us a sample of what you’re using, and then try a similar oil run with the new stuff – by comparing those results, you might find that you can get the same great results, and save a little money as well!

EDIT: Just got a phone call from RL Carriers... My new trans and TC arrive tomorrow!!! Might be next year before I get a chance to install em but at least I can look at em to keep my motivation up!.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Last edited by GordnadoCRD on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 pm 
LOST Addict

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newslet ... 1-2017.php

That's an interesting analysis about what oil is best. It is from Blackstone labs.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 am 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Unless I've missed something here, the Mobil Delvac (not Delvac 1) product line is still Syn-Blend. It's good oil for OTR vehicles, but it's 200C flashpoint makes it risky for use in the R428.

https://mobildelvac.com/en/engine-oils/mobil-delvac?WT.mc_id=cpc_Google_Delvac-Brand-Product&WT.z_adgroup=General&WT.z_keyword=mobil-delvac&WT.tsrc=Paid-Search&WT.srch=1

Mobile's full synthetic Delvac 1 line, doesn't make a 0w-40 formulation that meets MS12633

They do make a Delvac 1 full synthetic 5W-40 that meets MS10850
And a Delvac 1 full synthetic 5W-30 that meets MS11116

GAH! this is what drives me nuts........ is it or isn't it?

screw it...gunna run my CRD on a full fill of MILITEC 1..... :JEEPIN:

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 am 
LOST Addict

LOL that will be what? $300 / fill?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:09 am 
LOST Member

lil over $700 cdnup here... :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

ah but seriously, going back to DELVAC ESP 0W40........ its a full syn diesel oil, its one of the top tier oils for diesels, and the fact that its 0W40 means FAST FAST FAST cold starts and FAST bearing and journal lubrication on start up......

I have no oil temp gauges......so i cannot say what temps my oil gets to....but recently i did an off road trip, up 35-40% grades, 4LO LO (shifter in L1) in 50 deg CELSIUS temps, and i ran that witch hard, ALL DAY LONG with a 600 LB gear load out.

temp gauge on the engine never got above half....

so i'm not too worried about the 200 deg flash point of DELVAC ESP 0W40........ (actually its 215)

i get what your saying that the ESP 0w40 does not meet ACEA , but lets be honest here....a 0W oil will LUBRICATE faster than a 5W oil oN STARTUP. AND thats the critical issue...startup, esp (hahaha esp) in colder environs....) Once at operating temp, BOTH the 0W40 and 5 W40 DELVAC ESP are BOTH 40 weight.............. and the formulation differences between the two are slo slight its a moot point. I'd rather run the 0W40 ESP DELVAC, so i get instant lubrication in ALL temps, again, after a few minutes its a 40 weight.....

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:21 am 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
EDIT: Just got a phone call from RL Carriers... My new trans and TC arrive tomorrow!!! Might be next year before I get a chance to install em but at least I can look at em to keep my motivation up!.

What did you get? Details.... :?:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:

Most of amsoil oil's are not even API certified because they "can't pass" and it's "to expensive" for them,there own words not my opinion.

Why on earth would you want to use a oil that will not pass minimum standards? Not to mention they even state themselfs that any modified engine(to include programming) to not go beyond the OEM OCI's mileage/months.Regardless forget any warranty on your engine and drivetrain that has a failure due to oil with a non-API certified oil in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:03 pm 
LOST Addict

I just did an oil change today.
Used Delo 400 LE 5w-40 and a wix 51773 filter.
Almost 7.5 quarts to fill.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

Most of amsoil oil's are not even API certified because they "can't pass" and it's "to expensive" for them,there own words not my opinion.

Why on earth would you want to use a oil that will not pass minimum standards? Not to mention they even state themselfs that any modified engine(to include programming) to not go beyond the OEM OCI's mileage/months.Regardless forget any warranty on your engine and drivetrain that has a failure due to oil with a non-API certified oil in it.

True, and that's just one of the reasons I don't use it. But there are those who do, and that's their own choice.

Back in the late '70s one of their neighborhood pyramid pushers told me that Amsoil doesn't HAVE TO meet API standards, because it's a synthetic oil, not a petroleum base. I don't know if that was just him trying to make a sale, or if it's something Amsoil actually published as a selling point. Ridiculous either way.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:12 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

You are so right! I totally agree! User beware.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:01 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
For people in Lower 48:
Amazon.com makes virtually any type of properly qualified oil available anywhere and at competitive prices. Even High quality imported oils, like Liqui-Moly (Germany's Best) if you so desire to use them. Ebay seems to have some good deals as well, but I've found too many contradicting product descriptions to be comfortable there.... yet.

Mikey1273,

While I am not a fan of Pennzoil, due to personal past experience, If it is a product you desire to use, their statement that is does not meet MS10750 due to it not being stated is actually incorrect.

This is from their published statements regarding this product.

Performance, Features & Benefits: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology

Yada Yada.

CLEANER PISTONS
Yada
BETTER FUEL ECONOMY
Yada
PROTECTS HORSEPOWER
Yada
UNSURPASSED WEAR PROTECTION
Yada
EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE IN EXTREME TEMPERATURES

More Yada Yada

Based on ILSAC GF-5 and Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30.
Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30. Pistons from standard V6 engine in ASTM Sequence IIIG test.

Main Applications
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ 0W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus™ Technology is specifically formulated for the
needs of Chrysler SRT engines where Chrysler MS-12633 oil is required. It may also be used in SRT engines originally
recommending Chrysler MS-10725 oil
Chrysler SRT (Street and Racing Technology) engines are used across a range of
Chrysler Brands and vehicles. Including the SRT Viper and Viper GT3-R, Grand Cherokee SRT, Challenger SRT, and
Charger SRT.

I don't know why they would have told you they didn't make a product that meets that spec, as they clearly do, if you so desired to use their product.

While it was a different product at a different point in time, I saw Pennzoil product supposedly rated for turbodiesel engines, completely destroy said turbodiesel engine, in approximately 90 miles. Although irrefutable proof was documented and provided, they first denied any culpability, and when it was proven that their oil didn't meet the specs they rated it for, they just flat refused any compensation. I have been prejudiced against that brand ever since. I won't buy from anyone that doesn't stand behind their products.

If I misunderstood your point, I apologize.

You didn't really misunderstand my point. my point was mostly that MS-10275 was superseded by MS-12633 or whatever in my opinion now is not a safe product to use in the CRD engine if its not also a Diesel rated product. the new spec talks about SRT and that's a gas engine. you then said you seen a Pennzoil product destroy a turbo diesel. that kinda agrees with my point. I also am not a Pennzoil fan boy it was just a product that met ms-10275 and the new version of that spec I found and used as an example that I wouldn't deem acceptable in my CRD.

I am not going to make an argument that my oil is better than anyone's, use what you been getting good results with. I been using Rotella T6 and Blackstone labs says its been working good for me in the past. I chose it because when I got my CRD in 2009 that and M1 turbo D truck 5w40 were what most were using and was easily available to me. I have been thinking of trying Delo 400 LE as its a little cheaper but if its going out of production I will stick with T6.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:39 pm 

Delo 400 LE is being phased out and replaced with the newer DELO 400 XSP.
Delo 400 LE is API CJ-4 rated
Delo 400 XSP is API CK-4 rated

I still am not sure of the benefits of using a CK-4 rated oil over the current CJ-4 rated oil :roll:
I have read that it should not be used when running higher levels of sulfur fuel.
Only bright side, it will be available in a 15W-40 weight.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:34 pm 
LOST Addict

If I were to try Delo 400 LE it would be the 5w40 full synthetic which is being replaced with Delo 400 XSP

As oil standards advance CJ-4 is not going to be available. I dont know if there are super differences between that and CK-4 but Shell has the CK-4 rating on their T6 5w40 now. all the companies are going to start to meet the new API with their products.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Amazing :ROTFL: how mentioning the word "oil" starts an endless discussion with lots of extraneous details about various brands.

To keep it simple for those in the markets where API ratings are followed any:
a. full synthetic that meets
b. API CI-4; CJ-4, or CK-4 (yes I know some of synthetics that meet those ratings have or will drop out of the market and be replaced by the same company's product that meets a higher rating but who cares - if it's on the store shelf or your shelf use it) that is
c. 0W-40 or 5-W40
is perfectly fine.

Yes I know some love their 15W-40 but why escapes me. In real cold climes 15W is not particularly good on cold starts and is of no particular importance in hot weather cold starts. In cold or hot climes once engine is warmed up the top number of "40" is what matters. Not saying don't chase 15W-40 just don't think it's worth the bother when plenty of brand name products meet criteria a, b, and c.

Two added comments:
a. if a company does not list an API rating as noted above for whatever "heifer" dust reason don't by that oil.
b. be very careful that you don't use API "F" rated oil; FA-4 is the only one currently on the market. Per API "API FA-4 oils are not interchangeable or backward compatible with API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, and CH-4 oils."

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 pm 
LOST Addict

100% Agreed
Probably the only valid reason one would have to use 15W-40 is economic, as that is generally the lowest priced due to economies of scale.
IMHO though, the price difference is too small to take the risk of delayed oil flow on startup. (EDIT: Unless you live and drive in a very hot climate)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next