It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are your fluid choices?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

Perhaps I should have commented earlier, but good discussion none the less. I was not expecting to have the whole engine oil discussion here since there is another post already dedicated to that. I was looking for opinions on other system fluids.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here goes since oil has been beaten into the ground:
1. antifreeze - HOAT only such as Mopar, Xerex G-05, or Motor Craft Premium Gold - NOTE use of "green" or "universal" antifreezes is strongly discouraged and has been known to clog radiators.
2. transmission, power steering, transfer case - quality ATF+4
3. brake - any fluid that meets DOT 3 specifications and SAE J1703 standards
4. FRONT AXLE - MoparT Lubricant 80W-90 - REAR AXLE 8 1/4 - MoparT Gear Lubricant 75W-90 (Trailer Towing - MoparT Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140. NOTE Trac-lokT equipped axles (fitted to some 05s but not fitted to any 06s) require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant. Other quality lubricants of similar weights would be fine although I will note there is some discussion of different weights in some circumstances.

IIRC the only fluid that starts a spirited discussion, other than what's listed in the owner's manual, is oil.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm 
LOST Addict

For the record:

I have absolutely no problems with this discussion, and appreciate the comments from WWDiesel, papaindigo, and GordnadoCRD. People who think this is a rant probably do not appreciate how important a properly specified engine oil can be for modern internal combustion engines.

WWDiesel is absolutely correct in his assertion that you must use a diesel rated oil for diesel engines. The API CI-4, CJ-4 and CK-4 oils in the proper viscosities are the ones to use. Both papaindigo GordnadoCRD, and mikey1273 all seem to agree with this, so there is really no argument here.

I was merely mistaken in believing the MS10725 rating from Daimler Chrysler was regarding a special additive package specifically designed for European diesel engines that have pollution control systems slapped on them. I was unaware the MS10725 was really nothing more than a repeat of the API specifications of that period of time. No big deal. The point I was trying to make is that there are reasons why special engine oils exist and that, if your engine is spec'd for such an oil, then it would be foolish to use anything else that what is specified. If later upgrades to such oils are better and are backwards compatible, those are good to use as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 pm 
LOST Addict

OIL WARS!!! Best bet is to use Rotella t6 or mobil 1 tdt, available almost everywhere in the US. Can't go wrong with those. I one am 100% sure I can use mobil 1 0w40, the one that does not meet some folks on the forum standards. But I have the gde tune and I've also used it for years with no issues, and oil analysis prove this is fine, again, for my engine with gde tune. Right now, the most feasible oil for me is t6, best price and available everywhere, including Walmart. I also use it in the EcoDiesel, so it's best oil for me, since I don't have to stock 2 different oils.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
This subject has been discussed in great detail before and resurfaces from time to time as new members come on board! :roll:
Take aways: make your own decisions on what is the best oil for your vehicles based on type of driving, temperature conditions vehicle will be exposed to, and most importantly API ratings... :5SHOTS:
Here is some of the general discussions around this subject.

Mobil 1 0W-40 IS NOT AN API DIESEL RATED OIL!!!!!

See this Web page for API Oil Ratings:> http://www.api.org/products-and-service ... categories

It has NO diesel API ratings! It does not meet or have diesel CJ or CI ratings...

Mobil 1 0W-40 oil is rated: API SN, SM, SL, SJ
(all are GASOLINE engine oil Ratings!)

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil is rated: API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/ SM, SL, SJ
CJ, CI, & CH are all DIESEL engine oil API ratings!

Why in the world Mopar ever recommended a non API diesel rated spec oil for a turbo-diesel engine w/EGR system is ludicrous!
(No wonder many have had rocker arm/lifter failures!)

But if you need to know, this is the Mopar Specification that superseded it:
Keep in mind, this spec oil was listed for several Mopar GASOLINE engines!
Part No. - 68171066GA
0W-40 MOPAR® ENGINE OIL, synthetic MS-SPEC: MS-12633
Specifically formulated for the needs of Chrysler SRT engines where MS-12633 is required. It may also be used in SRT engines originally recommending Chrysler MS-10725
They no longer list the MS-10725 Spec on their "Mopar International - Lubricant and Chemical Cross Reference Chart"
It is an obsolete Specification!

A little more insight as to why Mobil 1 may not list the MS-10725 specification anymore:
May have been withdrawn due to a clause in their contract?
Apparently M1 0w-40 used to carry that spec in the US in the past, but no longer list it.

From another forum:
I do not believe this was Fiat's doing given that it still meets 3 Fiat specs. It has been mentioned this change took effect during Daimler's ownership.
This is possibly the result of a Non-compete clause that Chrysler placed into Mobil's Factory Fill contract.
Something along the lines of...In return for us extending exclusive use of your product in our vehicles, you agree, after termination of this agreement, to forfeit the marketing and/or approval of this specification, so that it can be exclusively extended to a subsequent party for X amount of years.

:roll: :shock: :roll:

Use what you wish; I simply would never run or recommend a API non-diesel rated oil in my diesels or anyone else's diesel period!
The ratings are engineering developed standards and are rated as such for a reason!

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel and several others including Rotella T6 all are good diesel oils with the correct API ratings...

We all have opinions and interpretations of all the available information!!!
But I do trust the API Ratings!
To each his own; I simply would never recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 oil to be used in any diesel engine when there are so many better choices of diesel rated oils available for the user.... :roll:

:SOMBRERO:

what about Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 full synthetic? I have over 15,000 Km's on on it (three oil changes worth), running great.

specs:

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 is recommended for use in 4-stroke diesel engines, including modern low emission engines with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), After Treatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s). These applications include the following:
On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
Refrigeration units

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 meets or exceeds the following industry and builder specifications: 0W-40
API CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/SM
Caterpillar ECF-3
Cummins CES 20081, 20076
Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40
Value
SAE Grade 0W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 87
cSt @ 100ºC 15.2
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 186
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.99
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 7.7
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 215
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.843

Many modern, low emission diesel engines generate more soot and operate at higher temperatures than older engines. This significantly increases the need for high performance lubricants. In addition, new engines (model-year 2007 and beyond) come equipped with After Treatment devices installed in the engine exhaust stream which will require the use of both API CJ-4 oils and ultralow sulfur diesel fuel to function properly. Further, new engines using EGR will generate even higher levels of acid, soot and heat than older EGR engines due to substantially increased EGR rates compared to previous EGR designs. Top piston rings are located higher, bringing the oil film closer to the combustion area and exposing the lubricant to severe thermal stresses.
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 maintains outstanding performance at significantly higher temperatures than other high performance diesel engine oils. It is also fully compatible with conventional oils. The key benefits include:
Features Advantages and Potential Benefits
Excellent for light and heavy duty diesel engines including those with EGR and/or DPFs (Diesel particulate filters) One engine oil for mixed fleet operations
Exceptional resistance to viscosity breakdown Provides outstanding wear protection
Superb soot-handling performance Helps keep engines clean
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Excellent resistance to sludge build-up and high temperature deposits
Inherent stay-in-grade shear stability Wear protection and reduced oil consumption; maintains viscosity in severe, high temperature service
Advanced formulation and viscometrics Improved fuel economy (vs. 15W-40 grade)
Exceptional low temperature pumpability Easy engine start-up and wear protection
Potential for extended oil-drain capability Helps to improve operating efficiency and control overall cost

this engine ran DELVAC ESP 0W40 full synthetic diesel oil for ten years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieFerSypBGc

1, 800,000 MILES plus on this Detroit Diesel engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E7Wqr26fDQ

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:19 pm 

Bushman5 wrote:

what about Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 full synthetic? I have over 15,000 Km's on on it (three oil changes worth), running great.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 meets or exceeds the following industry and builder specifications: 0W-40
Caterpillar ECF-3
Cummins CES 20081, 20076

Based on the API ratings for the Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP it is a diesel rated full synthetic oil.

I am not a big fan of extended oil change intervals nor do I ever use a 0W oil of any kind period!
They do make Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 which in my opinion would be a better choice if you want to use this oil.

How does it compare in price with Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil?
If it costs a lot more than Mobil 1 TD oil, I would stick with the Mobil 1 TD oil...it is a very good oil choice! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Delvac 0w-40 is definitely a good diesel oil.
But its nearly impossible to find here in the lower 48 states.
Maybe you can find it in Maine or Montana. I dont know.

Here in the southern US, its 5w-40.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

Caterpillar ECF-3
Cummins CES 20081, 20076

Based on the API ratings for the Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP it is a diesel rated full synthetic oil.

I am not a big fan of extended oil change intervals nor do I ever use a 0W oil of any kind period!
They do make Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 which in my opinion would be a better choice if you want to use this oil.

If it costs a lot more than Mobil 1 TD oil, I would stick with the Mobil 1 TD oil...it is a very good oil choice! :wink:

locally, its an EVEN pricing for either TDT or ESP.....about $70 after taxes and enviro fees.......for4 Liters

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:36 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
For people in Lower 48:
Amazon.com makes virtually any type of properly qualified oil available anywhere and at competitive prices. Even High quality imported oils, like Liqui-Moly (Germany's Best) if you so desire to use them. Ebay seems to have some good deals as well, but I've found too many contradicting product descriptions to be comfortable there.... yet.

Mikey1273,

While I am not a fan of Pennzoil, due to personal past experience, If it is a product you desire to use, their statement that is does not meet MS10750 due to it not being stated is actually incorrect.

This is from their published statements regarding this product.

Performance, Features & Benefits: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology

Yada Yada.

CLEANER PISTONS
Yada
BETTER FUEL ECONOMY
Yada
PROTECTS HORSEPOWER
Yada
UNSURPASSED WEAR PROTECTION
Yada
EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE IN EXTREME TEMPERATURES

More Yada Yada

Based on ILSAC GF-5 and Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30.
Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30. Pistons from standard V6 engine in ASTM Sequence IIIG test.

Main Applications
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ 0W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus™ Technology is specifically formulated for the
needs of Chrysler SRT engines where Chrysler MS-12633 oil is required. It may also be used in SRT engines originally
recommending Chrysler MS-10725 oil
Chrysler SRT (Street and Racing Technology) engines are used across a range of
Chrysler Brands and vehicles. Including the SRT Viper and Viper GT3-R, Grand Cherokee SRT, Challenger SRT, and
Charger SRT.

I don't know why they would have told you they didn't make a product that meets that spec, as they clearly do, if you so desired to use their product.

While it was a different product at a different point in time, I saw Pennzoil product supposedly rated for turbodiesel engines, completely destroy said turbodiesel engine, in approximately 90 miles. Although irrefutable proof was documented and provided, they first denied any culpability, and when it was proven that their oil didn't meet the specs they rated it for, they just flat refused any compensation. I have been prejudiced against that brand ever since. I won't buy from anyone that doesn't stand behind their products.

If I misunderstood your point, I apologize.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

Caterpillar ECF-3
Cummins CES 20081, 20076

locally, its an EVEN pricing for either TDT or ESP.....about $70 after taxes and enviro fees.......for4 Liters
Right, it's expensive everywhere bc mobil 1 esp it's low saps oil and it's used in all new diesels with dpf and scr. I remember getting a litter for about 12 bucks here in the US, when ram recommended pennzoil euro L and 5w30 esp (now they approved Rotella t6 also) - and the oil change is 10litter... Rotella t6 is also low saps.

The 0W-40 diesel rated mobil 1 is impossible to get here in us unless you get it from Amazon or ebay (or online) which makes it a non feasible choice due to price

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 pm 

If you really want to buy the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 - Gal oil
Advance Auto Parts has is listed for $29.99 (my local store shows it has it on the shelf)

IF you have a Walmart handy, they have it listed for $21.90
If none of your local Walmarts have it on the shelf, you can order it online and get Free Shipping if you use the local in-store pickup option...
My local Walmart shows availability 4 days after ordering...

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 - Gal Walmart #: 562993153
Price $21.90

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

I have found Mobil Delvac 5W40 for as low as $8 a Gallon. Delvac 0W40 is almost impossible to find in the states. They are top rated oils in heavy duty diesel trucks. Actually better than the Mobil Truck Turbo Diesel oil.

As far as the Mobil 1 0W-40 oil being used in the CRD, one must remember that the API & SAE classifications are US classifications. The Mobil 1 0W-40 oil also passes the ACEA A3/B3 & A4/B4 classifications. These are European specs for gasoline & light duty diesels.

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

Therefore the CRD can probably use the Mobil 0W-40 oil which encompasses the European spec. I would however use the Mobil 1 5W-40 European formula if I had my choice.

Overall I stay with Shell Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT or Delo 400 LE, available at Walmart for low cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:21 pm 

joelukex4 wrote:
I have found Mobil Delvac 5W40 for as low as $8 a Gallon. Delvac 0W40 is almost impossible to find in the states. They are top rated oils in heavy duty diesel trucks. Actually better than the Mobil Truck Turbo Diesel oil.

Keep in mind, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP is a FULL synthetic motor oil while plain Mobil Devac is not...which explains the pricing difference! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:53 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

Keep in mind, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP is a FULL synthetic motor oil while plain Mobil Devac is not...which explains the pricing difference! :roll:

Sorry, These were both the full synthetics that I was speaking of. The plain Mobil Delvac is 15W-40. They do not make a 0W-40 or 5-40 non-synthetic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:58 pm 

joelukex4 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

Sorry, These were both the full synthetics that I was speaking of. The plain Mobil Delvac is 15W-40. They do not make a 0W-40 or 5-40 non-synthetic.

IF you can get a full synthetic API rated diesel motor oil like Mobil 1 for $8 dollars a gallon, that is a steal!!! :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 pm 
LOST Addict

I remember flash had a post a good while ago about how hard is to get the delvac esp 0W-40 in the US.

I also stay with the t6, you can get it everywhere and it's good priced, especially if you get a rebate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:59 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Unless I've missed something here, the Mobil Delvac (not Delvac 1) product line is still Syn-Blend. It's good oil for OTR vehicles, but it's 200C flashpoint makes it risky for use in the R428.

https://mobildelvac.com/en/engine-oils/mobil-delvac?WT.mc_id=cpc_Google_Delvac-Brand-Product&WT.z_adgroup=General&WT.z_keyword=mobil-delvac&WT.tsrc=Paid-Search&WT.srch=1

Mobile's full synthetic Delvac 1 line, doesn't make a 0w-40 formulation that meets MS12633

They do make a Delvac 1 full synthetic 5W-40 that meets MS10850
And a Delvac 1 full synthetic 5W-30 that meets MS11116

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm 
LOST Member

Delo 400LE 5w-40 for $20 a gallon at wal-mart. I run 7 quarts with my expanded filtration with 8k between. I typically pour in the 8th quart around 5-6k.

Mobil 1 and T6 both use 2+ quarts on same routine.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Delo 400LE 5w-40 appears to be a CJ-4 diesel rated oil but the Chevron site implies that it's being phased out as it's available through April 2017 so what you are seeing is likely left over stock in stores.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 pm 

wilco549 wrote:
Delo 400LE 5w-40 for $20 a gallon at wal-mart. I run 7 quarts with my expanded filtration with 8k between. I typically pour in the 8th quart around 5-6k.
Mobil 1 and T6 both use 2+ quarts on same routine.

That is a very good price for a full synthetic CJ-4 diesel motor oil!

Please NOTE: The Delo 400 LE is NOT API CK-4 rated oil. Delo 400 SDE is a CK-4 rated oil. (CK-4 is NOT a required oil in the 2005 & 2006 Jeep CRD Liberty)
It is strictly an emissions (EPA) thing!! :roll: :banghead:
The CK-4 rated oils are a newer specification oil designed for newer diesel engines where particulate filters and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used.
It is NOT required in older diesel engines and actually may cause problems when used in conjunction with fuel greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur.
API Service Category CK-4 describes oils for use in high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2017 model year on-highway and Tier 4 non-road exhaust emission standards.

These are the API specifications for the oil from Chevron's web site:
Delo® 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a mixed-fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and fourstroke gasoline engines in which the API CJ-4 or API SN service categories and SAE 5W-40 viscosity grades are recommended.
Delo® 400 LE SAE 15W-40 is approved for:
• API Service Categories
CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4,
CH-4, SM

:D This is also another pretty good buy at Walmart,
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic diesel motor oil for a 2 1/2 gallon jug:
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil, 2.5 gal
$53.18
• API Service Categories
API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
API SN, SM

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next