It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Check Engine Light, no lift pump, no codes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:06 pm 
LOST Member

Not sure if my problems are related. I'm on the road, so I have no tools. I'm working on that. I have a lift pump and harness from Sasquatch. The lift pump is not running. It worked fine when installed about a year ago. I just drove 1800 miles from CO to FL. The last day of the trip, while in I-25 in the smokeys, I went into limp mode under heavy acceleration and threw the check engine light. Right away I thought fuel issue. If I cycle the ignition, I come out of limp, but the check engine light stays on. Happened a few times trying to accelerate to pass or climb a hill. Once I reached my destination, I confirmed that the lift pump is not running. No noise from the fuel tank like before. I bought a cheap scanner, but it finds no codes and if I tell it to clear, the check engine light remains on. I'll be trouble shooting the fuel pump electrical circuit once I obtain a meter. Anyone else have trouble with a lift pump after some time of operation?

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

Post subject: Re: Check Engine Light, no lift pump, no codes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Could be power to the pump or ground issue or could be the pump died. I assume the pump is flow through because if it's not and it's not running you would be parked. Speculating here but my guess is a bad in tank pump would not throw a code as the CRD system is not programmed to know there is an in tank pump BUT it's possible a bad in tank pump is making the CP3 unhappy enough to kick you into limp and trigger a CEL.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 pm 
LOST Member

If the check engine light's on, there's gotta be a code. Maybe the key trick will get you something? Without starting the engine, put in the key and cycle it 4 times, ending in 'on' (go off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on) then watch the odometer. It may show code(s) though the last two digits are often swapped for some reason (i.e. P1234 would show up as P1243).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:16 pm 
LOST Member

I had my '06 CRD stall while driving through town one time. After checking a few things I noticed a soft fuel plunger. I have a lift pump so I knew something was wrong. Now, I had an intuition when I installed the pump that going through the floor in the cargo area would be wise in the long run...and it was! 10 minutes later I had the "hatch" opened up, electrical connector removed cleaned and re-installed and the vehicle up and running again. Mine was just a poor connection at the top of the tank, luckily. I would check that out if you can!

Also, I have the 2nd gen fuel head, a fairly fresh filter, Carter in-tank pump and I removed the quick-connects at the tank and my CRD STILL wouldn't pull enough pressure to run when the pump quit working. So the idea that these units are "pass-thru" may not exactly be true. I think the system is weak enough to begin with, that the extra strain from having to pull the fuel thru the pump in addition to the rest of the OEM system is enough to prevent function.

Post subject: Check Engine Light, no lift pump, no codes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Could also be an over/underboost code. I used to get them during high throttle and would cause limp mode and a cel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Checked Fuse and Relay?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:15 pm 
LOST Member

APC9199 wrote:
I had my '06 CRD stall while driving through town one time. After checking a few things I noticed a soft fuel plunger. I have a lift pump so I knew something was wrong. Now, I had an intuition when I installed the pump that going through the floor in the cargo area would be wise in the long run...and it was! 10 minutes later I had the "hatch" opened up, electrical connector removed cleaned and re-installed and the vehicle up and running again. Mine was just a poor connection at the top of the tank, luckily. I would check that out if you can!

Also, I have the 2nd gen fuel head, a fairly fresh filter, Carter in-tank pump and I removed the quick-connects at the tank and my CRD STILL wouldn't pull enough pressure to run when the pump quit working. So the idea that these units are "pass-thru" may not exactly be true. I think the system is weak enough to begin with, that the extra strain from having to pull the fuel thru the pump in addition to the rest of the OEM system is enough to prevent function.

You might be on to something. I pulled the relay, and jumpered it to see if the pump was working. It ran. I re-installed the relay, and now the pump runs, so I might have a loose connection somewhere. Still no clue why the CEL is on, but no codes, unless the scanner that I have is not playing well with the CRD and isn't reading the code.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 pm 

Dent wrote:
APC9199 wrote:

You might be onto something. I pulled the relay, and jumpered it to see if the pump was working. It ran. I re-installed the relay, and now the pump runs, so I might have a loose connection somewhere. Still no clue why the CEL is on, but no codes, unless the scanner that I have is not playing well with the CRD and isn't reading the code.

Check the connections where the relay plugs in and the wiring harness connections at the connector under the back seat and make sure all connections are good, tight, clean, and show no signs of overheating along with the fuel pump chassis ground that is under the back seat close to the wiring harness connector!
You may want to swap relays with one of the others next to it to rule out a relay issue, they are all basically the same relay and function the same....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve