It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Bridge Modicfication, Broken water in fuel connector
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Howdy to all fellow CRD owners :) I undertook a repair for the ABS plastic fuel 'bridge' which is apparently a $108 part. Other members were kind enough to pass along their ideas and I built a brass one similar to their builds. I thought I would post some pics, the overall cost of parts. One thing I also noticed was that it appeared they used regular white teflon tape?? It is an absolute must to use the yellow fuel resistant tape!! Mine is installed and running great! I have also installed the 7V Etechno1 glow plugs after an extensive cleanup of the EGR (this will be deleted with the weeks kit very very soon, what a mess it creates in the intake!

I also investigated the part number for the little connector at the bottom of the water in fuel sensor and thought I would pass along its PN as it is in the connector catalog and not in the parts fiche. It is 68043086AC for those that want the OEM replacement. I am not sure how common it is to see these broken but the previous owner must have attempted to replace the fuel filter and forgot to disconnect the sensor...needless to say when it gets twisted enough it breaks. You can repair the original connector but it is important to note you must use wires that have the silicon seals at the rear of the leads to insure it is sealed from any fuel introduction ... a potential fire risk if not sealed! Part cost is $19.97 plus tax according to Jeep for the connector btw.

Below is the parts list and the parts / cost of each. I posted links to pics on pinterest that will hopefully show up properly....if they don't I would be happy to email them to fellow members. I drilled the original bridge and cut the fittings off so that the bridge could be mounted to the side of he engine, worked out pretty well with no stress on the fuel lines. I replaced the hose leading to the boost pump with fuel injection quality hose, others have recommended marine quality hose which may have a thicker wall (so far so good with the fuel injection hose). It is around 24 inches required to replace this line and I used the original connector (it has been suggested these eventually leak but mine appeared to be in great condition...the hose can obviously be attached directly with a hose clamp.

Parts list (Total cost approximately $25)

2 qty. 1/4 NPT thread tees.
3 qty 3/8th x 1/4 NPT Hose barbs
1 qty 1/4 NPT threaded union (short)
1 qty 1/8th x 1/4 NPT Hose barb
Yellow fuel resistant teflon tape (can be bought at any small engine repair shop, I had this on hand and don't recall its cost, but wasn't expensive of course).

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497999671287756226/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497999671287756220/

Hope this helps fellow Diesel Jeepers! Happy Jeeping!! :)

Post subject: Re: Fuel Bridge Modicfication, Broken water in fuel connecto
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Thanks!

When I noticed that the existing lines to my abs piece were not cooperating with each other as bolted to the manifold, I just removed the attaching bolt. Now all the fuel lines are somewhat happy doing their own thing, and the abs piece doesn't have any forced strain on it. They all just absorb whatever vibration they will, no stress, no leaks, and no abrasion.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post subject: Re: Fuel Bridge Modicfication / Fuel line to CP3 boost pump
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I connected my brass bridge in the original place to insure that the hoses are not touching anything that can rub or melt the tubing. The brass 1/8th return line is much better than the tiny abs one that broke on my original part (again I built this for $25 versus a replacement OEM part at $108). Your idea of taking strain off the part is a good one as long as you insure it is not rubbing or touching anything hot. The boost line seems too short and is pre-bent plastic...replacing it took all of the strain off mine (the fuel line is roughly 20-22 inches whereas the OEM is maybe 18 inches. I posted a pic with this reply of the fuel injection line I used. If yours ever breaks, give my build a look in lieu of paying for a replacement that may break again. Kinda seems like they intended to have the OEM ones break as the 1/8th line is right next to the MAP sensor ... and I think mine was broken due to age and the engine cover removal pulled it ever so slightly to break it. I run without the cover, I recommend you do the same as it allows heat to vent much better. Good luck and happy Jeeping. :)

Fuel line pic

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497999671287756476/