It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blown turbo seals? or blown oil feed line?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:48 am 
LOST Member

Well before you go trashing another turbo and having to wait another 4 years let me give you a bit of advice. Always let a turbo warm up at idle for a minute or two before you start working it and always let it cool down at idle for a few minutes before shutting it down. Big rigs have what's called a Pyrometer to determine if you are overworking them or if they need to cool down more before shutdown.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:33 pm 
LOST Member

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Well before you go trashing another turbo and having to wait another 4 years let me give you a bit of advice. Always let a turbo warm up at idle for a minute or two before you start working it and always let it cool down at idle for a few minutes before shutting it down. Big rigs have what's called a Pyrometer to determine if you are overworking them or if they need to cool down more before shutdown.

Good luck.

Thanks

I drive commercial truck for a living , well versed with turbo warmup / cool down .

I just don’t have to work on them :mrgreen: The mechanics at the truck yard get grumpy when the truckers work on their trucks

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:50 pm 
LOST Member

Ok

Having issues installing the new oil return line. Spent over 10 hours yesterday trying to line up the mounting plate and gasket under the turbo.

It just won’t wiggle to where I can try to start the two bolts . And trying to keep the gasket is place is a nightmare

I couldn’t install the oil return line when the new turbo was on the bench, because the oil return line would have blocked access to one of the turbo mounting bolts . I might have to grind down the oil return mounting plate to give me some wiggle room . The old one is smaller

Thoughts?

Another 5 hours today trying get the oil return line installed

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:32 pm 
LOST Member

That was the hardest part to install the turbo. I worked from the bottom of the jeep, with the support bracket off and about 3 long 1/4" extension. For the gasket, i put a VERY thin layer of RTV sealant just to hold it in place. Installed the tube into the engine block first but not all the way, just to give enough wiggle room to get the bottom flange to mate up to the turbo. Then reached up with a bolt to hand start it( i think it was the aft most bolt). Then use a universal and small socket to get the forward bolt in. All this from the bottom of the jeep reach up.

Its a tedious job, but you'll get it.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:35 am 
LOST Member

God I’m beat. Literally 2 plus days trying to tease those oil return line bolts in.

Oil line done tonight at 2330 hours. Heat shield, exhaust clamp , turbo bracket, coolant tank, hoses, intercooler hoses, air filter housing etc all installed

Air filter housing is pissing me off, it refuses to seat in the grommets. Literally rocking back and forth.

Oil drained, new filter, new oil.

Fired right up without priming the Racior fuel filter / water separator unit.

No leaks.

Will plate the Jeep and clean out all the crap I’ve stored in there the last 6-7 years. Take it for an easy test drive around the block a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:03 pm 
LOST Member

God I’m beat. Literally 2 plus days trying to tease those oil return line bolts in.

Oil line done tonight at 2330 hours. Heat shield, exhaust clamp , turbo bracket, coolant tank, hoses, intercooler hoses, air filter housing etc all installed

Air filter housing is pissing me off, it refuses to seat in the grommets. Literally rocking back and forth.

Oil drained, new filter, new oil.

Fired right up without priming the Racior fuel filter / water separator unit.

No leaks.

Will plate the Jeep and clean out all the crap I’ve stored in there the last 6-7 years. Take it for an easy test drive around the block a few times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

Driven the Jeep every day multiple times a day, since last weekend.
No oil leaks, no exhaust leaks. And it goes like a bat outta heck - I thought it had torque / power / speed before with the old turbo….. but wow!

Looking for a local shop to do a full stainless straight pipe from the turbo back - that’s the next project

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:26 pm 
LOST Member

The solid oil return lines are a PITA. I know it's too late but most here install one of these or make one of their own by cutting the tube in half with a pipe cutter then installing a section of hose to seal it all back up. Then when you have to pull the turbo again you just loosen the upper clamp and the upper half stays attached.
https://www.idparts.com/turbocharger-oi ... -3208.html

As for the turbo mounting bolt behind the oil return line. That's the last one off and the first one on accessing it from below (I always jack up and block the front end for room to work on this procedure)

Finally the turbo support bracket should have the two lower holes notched so they just slide back into place. Easy peazy. If you ever have to do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:33 pm 
LOST Member

Update.

Been putting the miles on the Jeep since the turbo install. Goes like a bat outta heck

Sadly, I got t-boned in an intersection in November 2023 - girl on a restricted learners permit was on her cell phone , she was speeding, and she ran a red light.

Hit me below the doors thankfully. Just the runner board got dented, and my rear drivers side BF AT tire got blown out.

Her car was destroyed. Entire front end smashed. I saw her coming at the last second and steered hard away from her . I’m actually shocked at how little damage there was to my Jeep

Anyways, swapped out the tire on the scene, chatted with the police. She was 100% at fault , and I had almost 20 witnesses (many of whom almost got killed by the other driver)

ICBC was quick to deal with my insurance claim . Zero deductible.

My tire was replaced, I’m still waiting for a body shop to take my Jeep in, but iivd been driving it daily.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bushman5 wrote:
OK, long story short, $800 tow from the boonies, (thank god NOT from the top of the mountain , 45 km from the HWY, where I HAD BEEN).

Ok what is going on?

I heard a loud whistling / shrieking noise, it rose and fell with throttle applications. Sounded like the turbo to me.

I was able to limp the truck off the FSR and onto the HWY, and it had some power but was pretty weak. Limped it close to a little village and then it puked oil (about 1 liter) from the tube that goes into the turbo, but possibly from the side the of the turbo too.......I wont know until I remove parts to see better.

Oil pressure light never came on and I barely lost a liter of Mobil Delvac ESP Synthetic............It only pukes oil when engine runs, and engine runs FINE (normal operation sounds). Just has a whistle turbo (loud) and spit out oil. Also, on the side of the road where it brokedown, I did unhook the turbo vaccumn modulator, that REDUCED the whistling/whining but DID NOT eliminate it.

CAC hoses / air cleaner tube are fine, no rot, no splits, no leaks. Intercooler has no holes in it FYI. Engine runs like a hot darn with normal operation, except no power and the turbo shrieking

edit: codes i pulled - NOTE: MAY BE RELATED TO ME PULLING VAC LINES OFF THE turbo solenoid

P0045-BOOST PRESSURE SOLENOID EXCESSIVE CURRENT.
P0045-BOOST PRESSURE SOLENOID OPEN CIRCUIT .

P0299-BOOST PRESSURE SENSOR POSITIVE DEVIATION

sigh....more pisssed i had to call my dad for a loan for the tow bill. .

Mine started making a noise on a cold day, I suspected the turbo. I will pull the hose and see how my turbo is for side to side, and end play. I did buy a new hose because I know the OE one cracks, or it may crack when I remove it.

No power loss at this time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did you get the turbo done yet??

I just finished installing the Sasquatch turbo on mine and found it to be fairly straightforward.

"Giddyup" is my 2005 Liberty CRD
"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

seafish wrote:
Did you get the turbo done yet??

I just finished installing the Sasquatch turbo on mine and found it to be fairly straightforward.

No end play, and no side to side, so the turbo is fine.