It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ARP Stud gave up
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:18 am 

X2, very good advice from DieselJeepLuvr!!!
There is no such thing as bringing the torque up too slow! :wink:
Having been a mechanic most of my life which included working in an automotive machine shop and building very high performance engines for drag racers for a spell, we were always very, very, careful to bring torque up on cylinder heads very slowly in small increments just as he explained!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The new ARP studs have been installed and torqued properly ... all went well.

Thanks to all the good advice. Especially the one where at first you hand tighten the nuts with a 3/8" ratchet, then use the torque wrench ... And going slow is the key.

It took most of the morning to prep and install.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:56 pm 

Great! Hope it runs like a new sewing machine and I know you do too! :wink:
Keep us posted as to progress....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01 pm 
LOST Addict

So how's it going Raff? Is she alive?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey there Thermo ... no, not yet, I can only work on her on the weekends, but I am making progress.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Good job, glad you decided to fix it yourself. Maybe you post a small video with the "results" when you're done. Good luck!

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

https://goo.gl/photos/74zz9Cr59MGkYmBp

Here is my modification to the EGR coolant hose, I rerouted it by cutting the 3/4" metal down pipe just enough to attach it to a 12" section of heater hose and then to the protruding nipple that comes out of the cylinder head. This nipple originally connected a heater hose that leads to the EGR set up on the right of it and which has now been deleted.

If the photo posting worked then look at the picture and notice the red heater hose.

Last edited by racertracer on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The old girl is alive.... she lives again for the third time.

Having trouble posting a video clip.

Again, I have to give credit to Jim (Geordi) who walked me through the rebuilding process and took the time to respond to all my questions.

And this forum... without which I wouldn't have gotten myself so deeply involved in this project.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:41 pm 

racertracer wrote:
https://goo.gl/photos/74zz9Cr59MGkYmBp

Here is my modification to the EGR coolant hose, I rerouted it by cutting the 3/4" metal down pipe just enough to attach it to a 12" section of heater hose and then to the protruding nipple that comes out of the cylinder head. This nipple originally connected a heater hose that leads to the EGR set up on the right of it and which has now been deleted.

If the photo posting worked then look at the picture and notice the red heater hose.

Link not working!
Glad you got it back together and running again!

Just very curious, why did you want leave the old center outlet of the head to the EGR in service since the flow bypasses the thermostat? I believe it may cause problems since it is dumping uncontrolled heat flux directly into the water pump suction which pumps it right back into the engine thus bypassing the thermostat and radiator totally.
When I removed my EGR junk, I blanked off this center outlet and done away the "Y" heater hose connection!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Woo-hoo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Just very curious, why did you want to leave the old center outlet of the head to the EGR in service since the flow bypasses the thermostat?

I believe it may cause problems since it is dumping uncontrolled heat flux directly into the water pump suction which pumps it right back into the engine thus bypassing the thermostat and radiator totally.

I don't believe that it will hurt anything... the coolant flow was designed to return back into the system in this way when it came out of the factory and when the EGR was active.

And ever since I installed the hose and rerouted the coolant flow in this way, I've noticed that the temperature gauge reaches operating temperature very quickly and this may be a good thing, especially if this works well during the cold winter months when heat is needed quickly and also to bring the engine up to optimal operating temperature FAST.

This is just a theory. I don't know, but I'll be testing and reporting back. I am sure that all the expert's on here will be chiming in, especially the Canadienne member.

Even so, I like to do my own testing and I believe that it may work.

Here's the video of it running .... it was still running a bit rough at this point but it smoothed itself out later on. Click on the YOUTUBE link here -> https://youtu.be/eFQs8yyLnto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Sounds alright to me..
especially for having your trans dipstick popped up and waving around like it just don't care. :goink: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:03 pm 

racertracer wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Just very curious, why did you want to leave the old center outlet of the head to the EGR in service since the flow bypasses the thermostat?

I believe it may cause problems since it is dumping uncontrolled heat flux directly into the water pump suction which pumps it right back into the engine thus bypassing the thermostat and radiator totally.

I don't believe that it will hurt anything... the coolant flow was designed to return back into the system in this way when it came out of the factory and when the EGR was active.
And ever since I installed the hose and rerouted the coolant flow in this way, I've noticed that the temperature gauge reaches operating temperature very quickly and this may be a good thing, especially if this works well during the cold winter months when heat is needed quickly and also to bring the engine up to optimal operating temperature FAST.
This is just a theory. I don't know, but I'll be testing and reporting back. I am sure that all the expert's on here will be chiming in, especially the Canadienne member.
Even so, I like to do my own testing and I believe that it may work.

I think the jury may be still out on this issue? Wish we knew more and had a more definitive information on which is better, leave the flow or cap it off! :roll: :juggle:
I still lean toward the engine is better off without it, but I certainly am willing to listen to counter reasons why it is good if someone has them!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:20 pm 
LOST Addict

I did something similar with my egr delete.
Kept that port on the side of the head open but I routed it directly to the heater.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 pm 
LOST Addict

I really doubt that it matters as long as the original head nipple is used, for these reasons:

The coolant exiting the head is cooler than after the coolant has absorbed the heat from the EGR junk. With the EGR Junk bypassed, the coolant will actually carry less heat back to the pump intake than originally.
And
The original nipple coming out of the head also acts as a flow restrictor because if the extremely small ID, (3mm?) and the 3cm length of that narrow passage. As long as that isn't changed, the pump can push no more fluid through to the return, than it could with all the junk hooked up.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 am 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I really doubt that it matters as long as the original head nipple is used, for these reasons:
The coolant exiting the head is cooler than after the coolant has absorbed the heat from the EGR junk. With the EGR Junk bypassed, the coolant will actually carry less heat back to the pump intake than originally.
And
The original nipple coming out of the head also acts as a flow restrictor because if the extremely small ID, (3mm?) and the 3cm length of that narrow passage. As long as that isn't changed, the pump can push no more fluid through to the return, than it could with all the junk hooked up.

Then totally deleting it makes a lot of sense to me if that flow is so small as you stated. Just do not see the need for having two (2) thermostat bypasses! And this one would never close!
Getting rid of any and all unnecessary plumbing and hoses that might possibly leak coolant in the future is always a GOOD thing! Plus makes the engine compartment cleaner... :mrgreen:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:33 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Then totally deleting it makes a lot of sense to me if that flow is so small as you stated. Just do not see the need for having two (2) thermostat bypasses! And this one would never close!
Getting rid of any and all unnecessary plumbing and hoses that might possibly leak coolant in the future is always a GOOD thing! Plus makes the engine compartment cleaner... :mrgreen:

I agree, and mine is also plugged off for all the same reasons.
I just believe that if someone chooses to bypass it in the way described, it would be no worse, and would still be an improvement versus with the EGR junk plumbed in. Not optimal, but not harmful either.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
GordnadoCRD wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

I agree, and mine is also plugged off for all the same reasons.
I just believe that if someone chooses to bypass it in the way described, it would be no worse, and would still be an improvement versus with the EGR junk plumbed in. Not optimal, but not harmful either.

I have done jobs for people who wanted it both ways (not at the same time obviously) and I have heard nothing back about either option. I tend to think that "no news is good news" and either option is acceptable depending on how your thought process goes. Since the plug reduces the number of parts and potential leak points and does not measurably decrease the coolant flow through the head as all connected ports are smaller than the coolant outlet at the thermostat... I have mine plugged and I'm good either way. 5 feet of coolant hose (to be routed in a convenient way) or a plug, you are good either way as long as the EGR just goes away!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
That only holds true if the thread pitch is the same, and fine threads almost always have more tpi than coarse. it's works just like pushing something up a hill. It requires less force (torque) to move something up a 5% grade, than the force required to move the same something up a 10% grade. Or more relevantly stated, the equal force @limit applied to something weighing 100 lbs pushing up a 5% grade, will only be capable of pushing 50 lbs up a 10% grade.
Bolt diameter, Friction and Torque being equal, fine threads exert more clamping force than coarse threads.

IF you torque a 3/8 24 bolt(dry) to 30lbs-ft and torque a 3/8 16(dry) bolt to 30lbs-ft both are torqued to the exact same 30lbs-ft.Both have the same clamping force if both bolts have identical dimensions besides one being coarse thread and the other being fine thread.

What you are talking about is makes no sense when talking about bolts and torque.gearing for differentials your comments make sense but not torquing a bolt.

Wrong. Thread pitch makes a big difference. The torque is the same, but the finer thread means a lower pitch angle, which means that with the same torque, the finer thread is exerting MORE clamping force for the same torque. I was the guy who calculated the appropriate clamping force from the data that RacerTracer got from VM Motori, and in the event, what I found was that when torquing the studs, 140 FP was enough to crush the aluminum head at some bolt locations.

LMW

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:36 pm 
LOST Member

LMWatBullRun wrote:
Wrong. Thread pitch makes a big difference. The torque is the same, but the finer thread means a lower pitch angle, which means that with the same torque, the finer thread is exerting MORE clamping force for the same torque. LMW

You are correct.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next