It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ARP Stud gave up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
He also said to wipe the studs clean of their rust inhibitor coating prior to install.

Brake fluid would probably do the job.

Also, to clean the threads in the block, insert the stud in the thread and chase the threads up and down 2 to 3 times to clean them like a chaser tap would, vacuum or blow out the left over debris and install the stud using the Allen wrench. Install the bone dry washer on the top of bone dry metal head, lightly coat the top of washer with lube, coat bottom of the nut with lube and a little of the fine threads just above the washer. Then finger tighten the nut allowing it to rest on the top of the lubed washer. Drive the stud down below the top of the nut approx. 3 threads using the Allen wrench and begin the torque sequence in thirds resting 20 second or more between turns.

After the completion of the torque sequence, the top of the nut should be in alignment (approximately) with the top of the stud.

Until ARP develops a proper kit for our CRD, I for one am going to follow this techs advice..... sounds good to me.

OK. now let the debate begin.

That is the way I did mine, except I left about a thread above the nut.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel