It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mr Gasket pump install
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone have a link on installing a Mr Gasket in line fuel pump? Seems very simple I just need to know where to get power from

Post subject: Re: Mr Gasket pump install
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 pm 

CRD-DAN wrote:
Anyone have a link on installing a Mr Gasket in line fuel pump? Seems very simple I just need to know where to get power from

What is the output pressure of the pump and most importantly, will it allow fuel to be pulled through the pump if it dies for any reason?

Power is easy, the Jeep is factory wired with all the needed wiring, power relay, and OBC logic to run an in-tank fuel pump. The wires terminate under the rear seat at a connector, so all you have to do is connect to the proper + wire for the fuel pump circuit at this connector and run wire from it to your fuel pump.
Where do you plan to mount your pump?

I am not a big fan of inline pumps due to the fact they can still suck air into the fuel system at any of the hose connections on the suction side of the pump.
An in-tank pump on the other hand puts the entire fuel system under positive pressure from inside the fuel tank all the way to the injection pump so it cannot suck air as it sets in the bottom of the fuel tank and is covered in fuel most of the time unless you run the tank completely empty.

Any pump you install should only pump around 10-15 psig. Higher discharge pressures can cause some serious problems with the CP3 as it does not have an internal pressure relief valve!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I picked up the 12D for diesel applications the specs state 4-7 PSI. Where it's mounted isn't an issue right now. Just wanted to avoid running wires to the fuse box since I knew there was power somewhere close for the gasser fuel pump. I know an inline isn't what an in tank pump would be. I don't care for it being outside the tank but it's what I'm going to try for now. I may install the in tank pump in the future. I keep losing prime and I'm not leaking diesel anywhere. I have the updated filter/heater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am 
LOST Member

Hope your success with the 12D is better than most. I bought one but returned it after a little more research and reading Amazon reviews. I don't think it's intended to be used as often and under the conditions our vehicles require.

If I remember correctly, there is a rubber grommet in the rear seat area you can pass the wire through and pick the fuel pump pos(+) circuit up in the electrical connector. I ended up just splicing into the harness as I had problems with the new connector some use.

Here is a thread from KeighJeigh but it appears the pics are missing: viewtopic.php?t=39362

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 am 
LOST Addict

I wired my inline pump directly to the fuel pump relay in the fuse box.
Super easy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks for the help guys/gals. Is it the same grommet that the abs sensor runs throough ? Also has anyone come up with a reason for the fuel system losing prime ? I have alraedy purchased it but I haven't taken it out of the box. I'm kinda of on the fence with it. I just don't have access to a lift anymore and I really am not looking forward to dropping my tank under my carport. Just not ideal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:58 pm 
LOST Member

There are countless threads in the sticky section in this forum as well as the CRD Tech section that outline the full problem with the fuel system in this vehicle. Please take the time to read through some of them for your sake, and ours. You'll see why most people opt for the in-tank pump and what the usual failure points are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
CRD-DAN wrote:
thanks for the help guys/gals. Is it the same grommet that the abs sensor runs throough? YES
Also has anyone come up with a reason for the fuel system losing prime ? Air ingress. usually from the line portion connecting the tank fittings to the steel line. Sometimes from the fuel filter head
I have alraedy purchased it but I haven't taken it out of the box. I'm kinda of on the fence with it.
I just don't have access to a lift anymore and I really am not looking forward to dropping my tank under my carport. Just not ideal. If you have room to block the rear tires 6-12" off the ground, and have the tank empty (or very nearly) it's not nearly so bad as I pictured it in my head before. Having a competent helper that can help support the awkward stuff is nearly mandatory. The hardest part is getting the lock ring back on (Liberal use of Vaseline or lithium assembly grease really really helps.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Again thank you guys for all the help. The odd thing is that after sitting all night and day while I was at work it didn't lose prime. I came home and it started right up, took it for a test drive and it died again. Unfortunately I really don't have anyone to help me while I work so it looks like I'll be using the in line pump :/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

So in my research about the inline pump I saw a user state that if you have air entering the lines without the pump, then you'll have air entering the lines with the pump. Well guess what, problem isn't solved. As an act of what I can only call desperation I installed the pump under the hood, took 20 min. Anyway it will not stall out and die anymore but when it's idling it idles rough. So I know dropping a pump in the tank is one way to fix it. Has anyone ever just dropped the tank and tried to find out where air is getting in and fix the leak ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:17 pm 
LOST Member

This is why most owners opt to install the pump IN the tank. If you put the pump under the hood, it is still sucking fuel from the tank and getting all the same air the CP3 pump was getting. It pulls the air in primarily from the quick-connect fittings connected to the sending unit in the tank. If you don't solve the air ingress problem, you'll never solve the hard start and poor running conditions. The in-tank guarantees that this problem is solved the first time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you have more work to do...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Lol yes you are right about that. For whatever reason I just really wanted my jeep to function the same as factory. I may just end up with an in tank pump after all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 pm 
LOST Addict

CRD-DAN wrote:

Alright, lets back up here.
What were the symptoms that led to the installation of the MrGasket pump?

Something you might want to try is installing some clear tube between the pump outlet and filter inlet to confirm that air bubbles are getting to to filter.

I don't know the specifics of the MrGasket pump.
I use a Facet 40109 pump mounted in the engine bay. Had it for several years now and it has worked great.
This Facet pump has a check valve that prevents drain back to the tank.
I also put a pre filter at its inlet that is clear.
If any air is being sucked in it would be visible in the pre filter.
And I'm not seeing any evidence of that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:50 am 
LOST Junkie

X2 on the Facet 40109. I've had mine for several years mounted behind the battery. No air in fuel or squishy primer bulbs since.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 am 

Specs:
Facet Cube Style 12 Volt Fuel Pump, 40109
http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

Fuel Compatibility: All models of the Facet® CUBE® Fuel Pumps are compatible with gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, blended alcohol fuels and fuel additives.Fuel Compatibility: All models of the Facet® CUBE® Fuel Pumps are compatible with gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, blended alcohol fuels and fuel additives.

4 to 7 max psi, 3/8 NPT
For moderate fuel requirements of engines up to about 150 horsepower
Easy to Install: Two-bolt installation plus the small size makes installation easy. For best results, mount the pump close to the fluid or fuel tank and below the liquid level.

Biggest complaint by several reviewers on line, Noisy or makes to much noise!
So if you go with a pump of this type, be very consensus of where and / or how you mount it so its pulsing noises does not resonate.
Rubber isolator mounts would probably prevent most noise issues...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
There are two quick-connects that are the potential air-entry points of the system. One is on top of the tank and the other is next to the tank in open space. Obviously try the accessible one first.

What you want is a foot or so of 3/8 ID fuel-rated hose, 4 hose clamps, and some cutters.

Cut the larger hard plastic line on either side of the quick connect, and slip the hose over the hard line. Clamp in place, two on each side. You are set. Try it out now, hopefully that cures the air-in-fuel issue for you.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.