It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 56044558CB ECU, going into limp mode with no fault codes.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 am 
LOST Newbie

I have been having a problem with my 2005 2.8 CRD going into limp mode for no reason at all. It happens most frequently before it gets to it's normal operating temperature. Also happen if I stop for coffe or fuel and it has the chance for the motor to cool a bit. The dealer says that there is an entry in the internal Jeep Tech bulletins that this is a known problem with ECU 56044558CB and I need to replace it with ECU 56044558CE. Has anybody had the same problems? If so is there a simple fix without replacing the ECU?
Is there a Bosch part number for this ECU?

Post subject: Re: 56044558CB ECU, going into limp mode with no fault codes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 am 
LOST Member

dukenut wrote:
I have been having a problem with my 2005 2.8 CRD going into limp mode for no reason at all. It happens most frequently before it gets to it's normal operating temperature. Also happen if I stop for coffe or fuel and it has the chance for the motor to cool a bit. The dealer says that there is an entry in the internal Jeep Tech bulletins that this is a known problem with ECU 56044558CB and I need to replace it with ECU 56044558CE. Has anybody had the same problems? If so is there a simple fix without replacing the ECU?
Is there a Bosch part number for this ECU?

Ask your Dealer to give you a copy of this Internal Tech bulletin....if it is a known problem then the Dealers should replace it free of charge. I do not trust Dealers very much....you need to read the actual bulletin to see if they are telling the truth! The last two digits are the Engineering level and should be interchangeable...you can even go down a level ie.CA from a Breaker Yard and it should work after the correct programming. The Export ECM that you have may be different to the USA models....as long as the PN is the same it should work.

I personaly would suspect the Crank Sensor or a blocked fuel filter or air in the fuel.

The Australian Jeep website is very good for the Export models other than that their Jeeps are RHD.

Try www.ausjeepoffroad.com and go to the KJ section. :wink:

You can check the part numbers here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 am 
LOST Newbie

I had similar symptoms and replaced the Crank Position Sensor. Problem solved.

Susp:Ironman Coils, Shocks new bushes and ball joints
Therm: Replaced
EGR: Cleaned, re-installed
CCV Catch Can
MAP sensor: Cleaned
Injectors: Repl
Alt pulley: Repl
Serp Belt: Repl
Crank Pos Sens: Replaced
T/B & W/P: Repl @ 200k Km
Repl Cer GP with Etechno 7V GP 212k Km
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Crank position sensor is possible - does weird things when hot with no CEL. As to the ECU I'll certainly defer to those that know more than me such as Kieth at GDE but I am under the impression that those type of ECU #s refer to ECU programming NOT to the physical ECU. To put it another way, assuming the dealer is partially right which may be questionable especially without seeing documentation, your ECU might? need reprogramming not replacement.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys. I will order a new Crankshaft position sensor and replace it. That will certainly cost a lot less than a new or used ECU.
I hope Keith at GDE sees this and tells us if the difference between 56044558CB and 56044558CE is only a programming update or a change to the actual ECU.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am 
LOST Addict

dukenut wrote:
Thanks guys. I will order a new Crankshaft position sensor and replace it. That will certainly cost a lot less than a new or used ECU.
I hope Keith at GDE sees this and tells us if the difference between 56044558CB and 56044558CE is only a programming update or a change to the actual ECU.

Allen

Jeep has a specific part number for each service tune they released. The ecm is the same, just different versions of software/calibration.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 am 
LOST Newbie

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:

Jeep has a specific part number for each service tune they released. The ecm is the same, just different versions of software/calibration.

Thanks, I can now go back to my dealer and read him the riot act. Let's see if I can get him to update the software.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A bit of caution on that riot act as what the dealer said and what you heard may be 2 different things. I suspect the dealer said it was a known problem (true or not I have no clue) with ECU 56044558CB and it needed replacement with ECU 56044558CE without being clear that these #s referred to ECU flashes NOT the physical ECU and absent that clarity you assumed he meant replacing the ECU. Reflashing the ECU in the US would run ca. $100-150 US dollars.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
A bit of caution on that riot act as what the dealer said and what you heard may be 2 different things. I suspect the dealer said it was a known problem (true or not I have no clue) with ECU 56044558CB and it needed replacement with ECU 56044558CE without being clear that these #s referred to ECU flashes NOT the physical ECU and absent that clarity you assumed he meant replacing the ECU. Reflashing the ECU in the US would run ca. $100-150 US dollars.

Thanks for the clarification. I will ask the dealer if he meant I need to buy a new one or they will reflash the ECU.