It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad diesel fuel need help!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Turns out had a bad batch of diesel fuel and the fact my pump was sent to low in the tank got water in the system. After draining the water from the filter my CRD still won't perform the same even with fresh diesel new filter and injector cleaning additives. With slight acceleration big balls of black smoke and no boost barely gets past 60 mph. Went to auto zone connected to ob2 and got these three codes P0093 Fuel system leak detected P0299 turbo under boost and P0101 mas air flow circuit range .

Post subject: Re: Bad diesel fuel need help!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 pm 
LOST Addict

P0093.
Make sure fuel filter is tight. Make sure it's fully primed. Check for air in fuel.

P0299.
Check for boost leaks. Clean or replace MAP sensor.

P0101.
Make sure MAF is connected. Clean or replace MAF sensor.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Water in the FQS will cause the metering sleeve to stick, causing nasty fluctuations in the output rail pressure. If any made it to the injectors, it would make it much worse until it works out. Use Power Service white bottle green label mixed with about 6 OZ of Red Bottle 911and a pint of MMO in the tank.
This will mix with all the little bits of water that have stuck in low places all through the system, and will help the moving components re-lubricate. If done quickly, it will also prevent the water saturation from forming sludge. I keep this stuff with me just in case it happens to me, along with a jumper fuel line I can use to re-direct the pump output from the filter back to the tank return line, so I can run it and help it blend and do it's work before hooking back to the system. This prevents introducing more contamination from the tank fuel into the high pressure system. Also handy in case of sudden winter freeze-up.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
P0093.
Make sure fuel filter is tight. Make sure it's fully primed. Check for air in fuel.

P0299.
Check for boost leaks. Clean or replace MAP sensor.

P0101.
Make sure MAF is connected. Clean or replace MAF sensor.

Haven't primed it ever and I've changed the fuel filter at least 4 times already

The hoses have no tears and I don't hear the turbo spooling loud un less it's a small vac leak

And the MAF is connected tried cleaning it and had no luck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Water in the FQS will cause the metering sleeve to stick, causing nasty fluctuations in the output rail pressure. If any made it to the injectors, it would make it much worse until it works out. Use Power Service white bottle green label mixed with about 6 OZ of Red Bottle 911and a pint of MMO in the tank.
This will mix with all the little bits of water that have stuck in low places all through the system, and will help the moving components re-lubricate. If done quickly, it will also prevent the water saturation from forming sludge. I keep this stuff with me just in case it happens to me, along with a jumper fuel line I can use to re-direct the pump output from the filter back to the tank return line, so I can run it and help it blend and do it's work before hooking back to the system. This prevents introducing more contamination from the tank fuel into the high pressure system. Also handy in case of sudden winter freeze-up.

I'll try that even though I added some isopropyl alcohol so it mix with the water left in the system would burn off . I'm not even 100% sure it's messed with the injectors beacause at idle it runs perfect and I rev it in park or neutral and reves up fine but once you start running it in drive that's when I feel very little power .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:26 pm 

Sea Foam is another very good fuel additive product to help get water out of fuel!
Have used it many times with great success... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 pm 
LOST Member

Sounds like it could also be air trapped in the rail. I've had that happen after rebuilding the top end in my '06 CRD. I loosened the #4 injector high pressure line nut just enough to cause a leak under high pressure, wrapped the line in a rag that could be removed quickly but prevented erratic fuel from spraying everywhere, and cranked the engine for about 10 or 15 seconds then quickly tightened the nut. After doing this a few times it started and ran better. It would be quicker and easier with a friend, just keep ALL body parts away from the high pressure line while cranking, if you try it. Google "diesel high pressure accident" if you need more reason than just my word NOT to be near them while cranking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:30 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Haven't primed it ever and I've changed the fuel filter at least 4 times already

Seriously?
Do you have a lift pump?

If you are installing a dry filter and not priming it and not bleeding the air out, you are allowing air into the fuel lines. All the way up to the injectors.

If this is how you have always done it, I'm surprised this has never happened to you before.
You must be very lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 pm 

He must have a seriously good "Sucker" CP3 pump!!!! :ROTFL:
But I doubt it, must have a lift pump to be able to do that???

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Post subject: Bad diesel fuel need help!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Could it be a stuck injector? I wouldn't think this would cause lack of power or an underboost code, just lots of smoke.

On another note, getting a fuel rail leak code like that will result in limp mode. My latest hot tune I have loaded was causing this code since I was injecting more fuel than the leak maps allowed for and it would go into limp mode until I cycled the key. The thing is it would still make boost, just no power. Maybe in your case the two are related, not enough fuel to get the turbo going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:

Seriously?
Do you have a lift pump?

If you are installing a dry filter and not priming it and not bleeding the air out, you are allowing air into the fuel lines. All the way up to the injectors.

If this is how you have always done it, I'm surprised this has never happened to you before.
You must be very lucky.

I'm sorry I meant I've primed it before but never bleed it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
Could it be a stuck injector? I wouldn't think this would cause lack of power or an underboost code, just lots of smoke.

On another note, getting a fuel rail leak code like that will result in limp mode. My latest hot tune I have loaded was causing this code since I was injecting more fuel than the leak maps allowed for and it would go into limp mode until I cycled the key. The thing is it would still make boost, just no power. Maybe in your case the two are related, not enough fuel to get the turbo going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the injector is in the stuck position just constantly spraying because at idle I pulled each plug harness for each injector then is when you see the studdering misfire but all plugged in at idle seems perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I tried all those additives bleeding the filter checking loose hoses and still smoking like a wild fire nothing helps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Are you getting a p0299 code?
Do you have a boost gauge?

Black smoke means either too much fuel of not enough air.
If the turbo isn't putting out what it should, that would be not enough air and you should be getting a p0299 code.
Or maybe you have a gunked up or bad MAP sensor.

If you have a stuck open injector, that would be too much fuel.

Or maybe your EGR valve is stuck open, allowing boost to escape.
Or maybe you have bad rocker arms, not allowing enough air into the engine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 am 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Are you getting a p0299 code?
Do you have a boost gauge?

If the turbo isn't putting out what it should, that would be not enough air and you should be getting a p0299 code.

If you have a stuck open injector, that would be too much fuel.

This happened one because I put fuel that had water in it after removing all the water from the filter I started it up it runs but blows tons of smoke and no power can't pass 2 grand with out it smoking like a chiminey. Makes it up to 65 mph so if it where a bad rocker I'd hear some kind of loud tapping noise. I was thinking of re tuning the ecu with the yeti tune I did about 1 year ago maybe resetting the codes might fix it .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:16 am 

chris7488 wrote:
This happened one because I put fuel that had water in it after removing all the water from the filter I started it up it runs but blows tons of smoke and no power can't pass 2 grand with out it smoking like a chiminey. Makes it up to 65 mph so if it where a bad rocker I'd hear some kind of loud tapping noise. I was thinking of re tuning the ecu with the yeti tune I did about 1 year ago maybe resetting the codes might fix it .

Have you ran a real good dose of Diesel Kleen or Seafoam diesel fuel cleaner through your fuel system?

I would also recommend adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel as well to help lubricate the injection pump and injectors. It is really good stuff! :wink:

If a bunch of water was run through the CP3 and Injectors, I just hope it did not damage one of them! :roll:
They are all lubricated by the diesel fuel going through them!
Water is NOT a lubricant and can wash off any lubricant present allowing metal to metal contact and galling!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
chris7488 wrote:

Have you ran a real good dose of Diesel Kleen or Seafoam diesel fuel cleaner through your fuel system?

I would also recommend adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel as well to help lubricate the injection pump and injectors. It is really good stuff! :wink:

If a bunch of water was run through the CP3 and Injectors, I just hope it did not damage one of them! :roll:
They are all lubricated by the diesel fuel going through them!

Water is NOT a lubricant and can wash off any lubricant present allowing metal to metal contact and galling!

I poured the whole bottle treats up 100gallons nothing I found the MAP sensor gunked up cleaned that up also but still out of luck running the same.
There is no loud or strange noises either I just might think I have to flash the ecu again maybe that will reset all the codes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Re flashed my ecu still same results I'm not sure to even pull the injectors because in idle there is no hesitation at all but blows tons of smoke and driving it makes not enough power and blows constant smoke past 1700 rpm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
You've been all through the fuel side, and the black smoke would indicate there's too much for the air the engine is getting.

flash7210 wrote:

Start at the beginning.
Check air inlet / filter / box for blockage
Check turbo inlet hose
Check that turbo is spinning freely and vacuum is moving the VGT mechanism properly
Check hose between turbo and CAC
Check hose between CAC and FCV
Check that FCV is not stuck closed
Block off EGR valve if not done already.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I think I found the problem the fuel heater plug on the fuel filter head is leaking fuel guess I need the new fuel filter head