It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How does a fan clutch work?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:03 pm 

npkdm wrote:
The 2005 crd fan shroud part number from the jeep dealer is 5143022AA

Unfortunately that part no. is for the outer shroud around the electrical fan.
SHROUD. Fan.
Part Number: 05143022AA
Outer Cover For Electrical Fan.
Item #6 on the diagram!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Have you tried this one?
52079879AB
The illustration is wrong but the mounts are right, and the price is more in line with what one would expect.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:02 am 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Have you tried this one?
52079879AB
The illustration is wrong but the mounts are right, and the price is more in line with what one would expect.

The fan shroud part number seems to be very elusive for some reason!!! :shock:

The various online Mopar sites and a few others list these three part numbers all for the fan shroud:
2005 Jeep Liberty Fan ShroudPart Number: 52080127AA
2005 Jeep Liberty Fan ShroudPart Number: 52079879AB
2005 Jeep Liberty Fan ShroudPart Number: 5143022AA
VERY CONFUSING! :roll:

As to the PN referenced above, some Mopar sites list it as an access door and this site shows a picture of it:> https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/_ ... 879AB.html
SHROUD. Fan.. Door. Cooling Module Access Door, [EN0] Engine Only.
SHROUD. Fan. . ST. Required: 001
Item no. 10 on the diagram below:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:07 am 
LOST Member

I'll have to quiz the dealer again next week about the part number. Next week I'm gonna do a junk yard search. For now I have a Spectre 4348 fan shroud I am gonna try. I found two numbers molded into the old shroud. I don't know if they can help or not.

5E14373G

PPTD40
C/L A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:15 am 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Have you tried this one?
52079879AB

I think that is only the bottom piece of the shroud. If you take the old one off you'll notice the bottom section can be removed. I think the part number you gave only buys the bottom piece like on this website.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-shroud-fan~52079879ab.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 am 

npkdm wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
Have you tried this one?
52079879AB

I think that is only the bottom piece of the shroud. If you take the old one off you'll notice the bottom section can be removed. I think the part number you gave only buys the bottom piece like on this website.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-shroud-fan~52079879ab.html

Yep, same part that I referenced in the diagram above.
Strange that the part number is so elusive or are we overlooking something?

Everywhere I search, it keeps bringing me back to this PN: 52080127AA
Maybe some of the gassers and diesel use the same shroud after all???? :dizzy:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm 
LOST Member

I think I figured out why my rig had a 5 lb cap. The radiator sprung a leak today. I think the previous owner used some sort of stop leak to plug a hole and ran a low pressure cap to keep it from blowing the patch out. So now I'm searching for an aftermarket radiator with more capacity than the factory one. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:46 pm 
LOST Member

It looks like my radiator has a leak on the drivers side seam about half way up. It was a steady stream not a drip. I traded the new 16 lb cap for the old 5 lb cap. I topped it off with water and drove to the parts store to get some stop leak as a hail mary until I get a new radiator. The leak had stopped by the time I got to Auto-zone. I went ahead and bought a bottle of K-seal and poured it in and topped off again with a half gallon of water. Drove it around town for 30 minutes and my temp reached just under red line. The leak hasn't returned. I'm impressed with power of stop leak and have learned if you ever need it you should get a low pressure radiator cap until you can fix the leak properly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:55 pm 
LOST Member

I bought a radiator from a salvage yard and installed it today. When I removed the drain plug from the old radiator nothing came out. I had to take a dipstick and run it up through the hole. Once it started flowing I got about a cup of copper powder in the drain bucket. I decided to replace the plug and flushed it with water three times before installing the new radiator. After installing the "new" radiator I filled it with 2 gallons of HOAT, a bottle of diesel engine coolant booster, and distilled water. I had it put back together by noon (started at 8:00) so It was a 4 hour job for a yahoo like myself.

I spent the rest of the day testing. No matter how much I tried I couldn't get the gauge to reach straight up. Steep grades in OD pulling hard barely made it heat up. Going downhill the gauge would drop below the quarter mark. My thermostat is indeed stuck open and the old radiator was indeed plugged up with stop-leak. I spent $75 on the radiator, $60 on coolant and supplies, and four hours round trip driving. Much better than the $1500 the dealer quoted and the $1000 the local auto repair shop quoted. But now I need to definitely replace the t-stat.

My current setup:
flex fan (no clutch) with 2.25 in spacer
no fan shroud

She runs cooool now. I'm considering continuing without a shroud. As long as she keep cooling this good it would be nice to have the extra room in the engine compartment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:34 pm 
LOST Addict

npkdm wrote:
I bought a radiator from a salvage yard and installed it today. When I removed the drain plug from the old radiator nothing came out. I had to take a dipstick and run it up through the hole. Once it started flowing I got about a cup of copper powder in the drain bucket. I decided to replace the plug and flushed it with water three times before installing the new radiator. After installing the "new" radiator I filled it with 2 gallons of HOAT, a bottle of diesel engine coolant booster, and distilled water. I had it put back together by noon (started at 8:00) so It was a 4 hour job for a yahoo like myself.

I spent the rest of the day testing. No matter how much I tried I couldn't get the gauge to reach straight up. Steep grades in OD pulling hard barely made it heat up. Going downhill the gauge would drop below the quarter mark. My thermostat is indeed stuck open and the old radiator was indeed plugged up with stop-leak. I spent $75 on the radiator, $60 on coolant and supplies, and four hours round trip driving. Much better than the $1500 the dealer quoted and the $1000 the local auto repair shop quoted. But now I need to definitely replace the t-stat.

My current setup:
flex fan (no clutch) with 2.25 in spacer
no fan shroud

She runs cooool now. I'm considering continuing without a shroud. As long as she keep cooling this good it would be nice to have the extra room in the engine compartment.

I ran my flex fan without a shroud for a little while and it was better than no fan, but I could still get it to heat up beyond normal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:51 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
The big Mopar online retailers like Factory Chrysler Parts and Mopar Parts Giant both list the shroud as part no. 52080127AA
and both say it fits the 2.8L diesel and the 3.7 05 & 06 Jeeps.
Go figure....
Price range from $77 to $87

MPG fitment list
This part fits the following vehicle: 2005 Jeep Liberty 4 Cyl 2.8L Turbo Package Diesel; 5-Speed Automatic

FCP fitment list
Jeep Liberty 4x4, 2.8L 4 Cyl Turbo Diesel, 5-Spd Automatic 5-45RFE EDITION Limited 2005
Jeep Liberty 4x4, 2.8L 4 Cyl Turbo Diesel, 5-Spd Automatic 5-45RFE EDTION Limited 2006
Jeep Liberty 4x4, 2.8L 4 Cyl Turbo Diesel, 5-Spd Automatic 5-45RFE SPORT 2005, 2006

If this is the wrong PN, we need to know that. :roll:
What PN did you get????

I have confirmed that 5143022AA is the correct part number for the engine fan shroud. The diagram on most discount parts websites is wrong. I found that removable bottom piece on Amazon and contacted the seller to see if they could get the entire shroud. They came up with the same number the dealer did and told me that there was only one they could access through their system at that time. So that could mean I bought the last one....

But if it isn't the last one the number is correct if you need one. The only other one I found on the web was from a salvage yard in Rhode Island for $120. I paid $120 fro this new one so I think I did alright. I was trying to communicate with a member here for a used one at $35 but the new one came in and I couldn't help but put it on and be done with the project.

5143022AA

The seller I bought from was https://www.mymoparparts.com/ in Dallas. They were very helpful and patient with me even when I insisted the part number was wrong. It wasn't.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 pm 

npkdm wrote:
I have confirmed that 5143022AA is the correct part number for the engine fan shroud. The diagram on most discount parts websites is wrong. I found that removable bottom piece on Amazon and contacted the seller to see if they could get the entire shroud. They came up with the same number the dealer did and told me that there was only one they could access through their system at that time. So that could mean I bought the last one....
But if it isn't the last one the number is correct if you need one. The only other one I found on the web was from a salvage yard in Rhode Island for $120. I paid $120 fro this new one so I think I did alright. I was trying to communicate with a member here for a used one at $35 but the new one came in and I couldn't help but put it on and be done with the project.
5143022AA
The seller I bought from was https://www.mymoparparts.com/ in Dallas. They were very helpful and patient with me even when I insisted the part number was wrong. It wasn't.

Yes, most of the on-line Mopar sellers list this part number as a shroud for the electric fan, not the mechanical. :roll:
Quote:
"SHROUD. Fan.. Outer Cover For Electrical Fan.
SHROUD. Fan. For Electric Fan. "Air Conditioning". Required: 001."

The on-line Part Fishe also list it as a shroud for the electric fan:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/05kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf, figure 7-130 wrote:
SHROUD, Fan
05143022AA 1 EN0 DG0 For Electric Fan
1 EN0 DBB For Electric Fan

When I Google the part no. 5143022AA, some mopar sites also say it is no longer available (discontinued part). :shock:

Thanks for the clarification!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 am 
LOST Addict

https://www.concord-parts.com/item/05143022AA/Chrysler

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:02 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:

You didn't have to do that

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:18 am 
LOST Addict

...sorry.

Those guys are pretty good IF you have a correct part number to start with.

They also sometimes take some following up to get your parts timely.

That considered, they are very good at finding suitable parts at reasonable prices.

Just not by part description or year-model designation.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:01 am 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
...sorry.
Those guys are pretty good IF you have a correct part number to start with.
They also sometimes take some following up to get your parts timely.
That considered, they are very good at finding suitable parts at reasonable prices.
Just not by part description or year-model designation.

Thanks Gordon, I bookmarked it, I was not familiar with that one!
LKQ is another very good used part supplier that I am familiar with and we used a bunch at a dealership that I worked for in the parts dept.
> http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 am 
LOST Member

Glad you found your problem. Radiator stop leak is like tire sealer, only for emergency use to limp home. Neither should remain in there.

I've only put a few hundred miles on mine since putting the front end back together with no shroud and no problems so far. But not run any big hills or towed. Didn't have an electric fan either.

I had similar luck with RockAuto in the cooling department. The electric fan for an '05 CRD 2.8 was not correct either.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: How does a fan clutch work?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:05 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
Glad you found your problem. Radiator stop leak is like tire sealer, only for emergency use to limp home. Neither should remain in there.

I've only put a few hundred miles on mine since putting the front end back together with no shroud and no problems so far. But not run any big hills or towed. Didn't have an electric fan either.

I had similar luck with RockAuto in the cooling department. The electric fan for an '05 CRD 2.8 was not correct either.

The shroud helps for sure but you are right, if you are not towing or climbing big grades then it's probably fine without it.

I haven't had my electric fan on since a year and a half ago. I honestly think it just gets in the way of air flow because the Mech fan pulls plenty at low rpm and at high speeds the natural flow should be more than enough.

When I tried to put my grill blanket on the other day while the Jeep was idling, the flex fan was making enough flow that it pulled the blanket against the grill and held it there. I really don't see a need for the electric if that's how much a mechanical moves.

I still want to go fully electric cooling, but until I figure out how to reduce some of the cooling load through the stack up it just ain't gunna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk