It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.8L CRD EGR Code P0403
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am 
LOST Newbie

My son and I are just finishing up an engine transplant into a '05 Liberty CRD. The vehicle had suffered a turbocharger failure which toasted the bottom end. We swapped in an engine from a junkyard with only about 50,000 miles on it and it purrs like a kitten so we're both really pleased so far except for one thing. It's got a CEL with one code:

P0403 EGR Solenoid Circuit (Excessive Current/Open Circuit)

The electrical connector is firmly plugged in so I don't think that's the problem so this is probably either a problem with the wiring to the ECU or a problem with the EGR solenoid itself. Does anyone out there know what resistance checks I can do on the solenoid to test it? The solenoid on the old engine may be fine so if it's a bad solenoid I could just swap the old one in. Is the solenoid integral to the valve or can I just swap in the other solenoid and leave the valve on the newer engine in place?

As good as the GDE tune is (I ran it for years on another Liberty that my wife totaled a couple of years ago), we just don't want to shell out $500 for it right now. We'll address EGR function to prevent intake fouling a different way. We just need the CEL to go away for inspection so we need the EGR system to be functional.

Post subject: Re: 2.8L CRD EGR Code P0403
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:50 am 

bradleyj wrote:
My son and I are just finishing up an engine transplant into a '05 Liberty CRD. The vehicle had suffered a turbocharger failure which toasted the bottom end. We swapped in an engine from a junkyard with only about 50,000 miles on it and it purrs like a kitten so we're both really pleased so far except for one thing. It's got a CEL with one code:
P0403 EGR Solenoid Circuit (Excessive Current/Open Circuit)
The electrical connector is firmly plugged in so I don't think that's the problem so this is probably either a problem with the wiring to the ECU or a problem with the EGR solenoid itself. Does anyone out there know what resistance checks I can do on the solenoid to test it? The solenoid on the old engine may be fine so if it's a bad solenoid I could just swap the old one in. Is the solenoid integral to the valve or can I just swap in the other solenoid and leave the valve on the newer engine in place?
As good as the GDE tune is (I ran it for years on another Liberty that my wife totaled a couple of years ago), we just don't want to shell out $500 for it right now. We'll address EGR function to prevent intake fouling a different way. We just need the CEL to go away for inspection so we need the EGR system to be functional.

If you install one of the do-it-yourself tunes that rem out the EGR & FCV DTC's that are available for download on this forum, and the cost is FREE! :BANANA:
And you can get a little better performance and fuel mileage to boot!
Link:> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Also, you should add an EGR block off plate to ensure no exhaust gas leakage into the intake or boost leakage reverse flow back into the exhaust manifold. This will not affect passing inspection visually as all components will still be in place. :wink:
Link:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: 2.8L CRD EGR Code P0403
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've heard about those DIY tunes and I'm interested, but do you know if they set readiness monitors as well as prevent codes? My state checks readiness monitors in addition to fault codes.