It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A/C Compressor Replacement - Gotchas?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looking for tips on AC compressor replacement. Son is a diesel mechanic, we've worked on several parts of this 2005 CRD but we need to put on AC compressor, bearings are gone. Obviously contain, evacuate, vacuum, oil, R-134, new dessicator etc.. all the other normal A/C items -- but I am looking for tips, gotchas, procedures, advice.

First got to decide which kind of AC Compressor - Denso or DieselKiki - not sure how to tell, I am betting it's denso since that is what that seems to be the most common and I think only one they sold in NA. Look like some the kits, the expansion device is a whole line on some it seems to be an insert. Not sure which one I will need, any tips on how to determine that? Mopar want's 800$ for compressor, IDParts about the same. Normal NAPA has one for 350$ -- budget comes to mind but I am questioning the quality of the replacements though only a few companies make AC compressors.

Next any comments on how much a witch it is to change? I know it's on the bottom, we are going to look it over tomorrow night and see what the process seems to be.

Wish someone had a video, but I am pretty sure it's not common enough for someone to have done one. Lot's of them out there for 3.7l Liberty ..

Just my daily driver!