It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do I have Hayden clutch already?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 pm 
LOST Member

Hi all,

In a preparation for a head gasket replacement I am considering putting in Hayden clutch per popular advice. However I may already have it. My CRD had several owners and one I purchased it from was not very knowledgeable about the previous upgrades. Question: how do I tell if my clutch is OEM or Hayden? I can rotate the fan by hand on cold engine, but there is some resistance; it doesn't spin totally free like on a failed clutch.

It should probably become obvious once I take it off, but I would like to order it now together with bunch of other parts to save on shipping.

Thanks in advance!
A.

Post subject: Re: Do I have Hayden clutch already?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

If your fan clutch is working don't bother replacing it. I had an OEM fail on me so I replaced with Hayden HD, that failed in fewer miles than the OEM, I'm now running a cheapo from Orielly(not a hayden) and I've already gotten more mileage out of it than the hayden.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
If your fan clutch is working don't bother replacing it. I had an OEM fail on me so I replaced with Hayden HD, that failed in fewer miles than the OEM, I'm now running a cheapo from Orielly(not a hayden) and I've already gotten more mileage out of it than the hayden.

This. I dont know if Hayden messed up a batch or what, but mine was dead on arrival. My OE fan made it to basically 90k before I started having issues.

Both my OE and Hayden clutches had resistance when cold, but neither locked up any more after heating in the oven.

Did the fixed flex fan mod and i am getting the same MPG's, i think the fan is more powerful, and i dont have to worry about it ever failing to spin. The only downside is that its a bit louder above 2k rpm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:14 pm 
LOST Member

Hmm, flex fan, huh? Looking at it (never knew it existed, thanks for educating me!) I see that it is surely simpler = more reliable solution. If the particular model you are using works well in your climate zone, great! However I am concerned what happens in cold climates - such a fan will cool the engine at idle regardless of the ambient temperature. Even if the thermostat is closed, this airflow flow still matters. As a comparison, in my previous life (think Alaska) we used to take the fans completely off for the 5 months long winter - never an issue, but of course those were different vehicles. This makes me wonder about the reason for the Hayden clutch to remain partially (25 - 30%?) engaged even in cold temperatures.

You live for hundred years, you learn for hundred years, you still die as a fool :)

Happy Labor Day everyone!
A.