It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Jeep Pickup w/diesel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Personally, based on my experience with the Liberty, I would not buy another Jeep at gunpoint. However, this may be (will be?) attractive to some:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fu ... ckup-info/

Post subject: Re: New Jeep Pickup w/diesel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

vtdog2 wrote:
Personally, based on my experience with the Liberty, I would not buy another Jeep at gunpoint. However, this may be (will be?) attractive to some:

Buying any small vehicle with a diesel is a huge gamble.

Leave the diesels for the big trucks,soon small diesels will be forced out soon since the world is now realizing they are crap and pollute more then any gas engine vehicle.

HCCI engines will be the future for dino burning engines,better anyways which keeps the diesel prices down which reflects in world prices you see everyday(by keeping them lower for us to buy).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:34 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
vtdog2 wrote:

Leave the diesels for the big trucks,soon small diesels will be forced out soon since the world is now realizing they are crap and pollute more then any gas engine vehicle.

HCCI engines will be the future for dino burning engines,better anyways which keeps the diesel prices down which reflects in world prices you see everyday(by keeping them lower for us to buy).

It is a huge gamble to purchase ANY diesel vehicle now, not just passenger vehicles and pickup trucks. Large commercial diesel vehicles have been suffering under the same E.P.A. ideological B.S. that the smaller vehicles have had to endure.

Diesel vehicles are not "crap" as you are alleging tjkj2002; they are being subjected to the same technological growing pains that gasoline powered vehicles went through 40-45 years ago when pollution control was added in the early 1970s. The sad thing is, the manufacturers and the EPA ha a chance to do this correctly this time, and unfortunately they are repeating lot of the same mistakes that were made back then. The end result is - again - that the consumer or end user is one taking the financial and other associated losses due to this gross mismanagement.

This is not the fault of the diesel engine itself; therefore calling diesel engines "crap" is spinning the narrative the wrong way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:

It is a huge gamble to purchase ANY diesel vehicle now, not just passenger vehicles and pickup trucks. Large commercial diesel vehicles have been suffering under the same E.P.A. ideological B.S. that the smaller vehicles have had to endure.

Diesel vehicles are not "crap" as you are alleging tjkj2002; they are being subjected to the same technological growing pains that gasoline powered vehicles went through 40-45 years ago when pollution control was added in the early 1970s. The sad thing is, the manufacturers and the EPA ha a chance to do this correctly this time, and unfortunately they are repeating lot of the same mistakes that were made back then. The end result is - again - that the consumer or end user is one taking the financial and other associated losses due to this gross mismanagement.

This is not the fault of the diesel engine itself; therefore calling diesel engines "crap" is spinning the narrative the wrong way.
Only implying small diesels,anything less then 4 liters in displacement.They simply are when actually being correctly controlled for pollution.

They tried back in the '80's and failed,and now the world is seeing a huge fail and moving away from them all together outside 3/4 ton and bigger.

Then again anything below 2 liters,gas or diesel,has been found to pollute more then larger displacement engines.Many company's are increasing displacement in the next few years besides hybrids.

You are right the consumer is eating the cost using small DD diesels,every single consumer is paying more $$$ for everything since the cost of diesel is higher then it should be from to much world "demand" directly as a result in small diesels.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:54 pm 

Known fact:
Diesel engines run in the 80%+ efficiency range whereas gas engines at best run in the 50% range! (that's why they get much better fuel mileage)
A diesel engine without all the stupid asinine EPA crap on it is a super efficient engine that produces much more torque and power than any gas engine of similar displacement could ever hope to...
That is why all big truck rigs have diesel engines, not gas!
Which one would you chose? :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
WWDiesel wrote:
Known fact:
Diesel engines run in the 80%+ efficiency range whereas gas engines at best run in the 50% range! (that's why they get much better fuel mileage)
A diesel engine without all the stupid asinine EPA crap on it is a super efficient engine that produces much more torque and power than any gas engine of similar displacement could ever hope to...

Don't forget that one gallon of Diesel has 137452 BTU of energy
Whereas one gallon of pump gasoline contains 120476 BTU of energy.
This is one more reason that even if diesels and gassers were to somehow run with the same efficiency, that the diesel would still get better mileage.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Known fact:

And why former VW employee's are now getting ready to serve prison sentences.

Take a 2 liter Gas and a 2 liter diesel and make both pass emissions and the gas will get better mpg's and have more power.That doesn't change until you get into the 3/4 ton+ range and towing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:59 am 
LOST Member

A couple of points to further upset the apple cart.

1. Physics is fact, govt regulations are subjective...yes tjkj2002 is correct that current govt regulations hurt the diesel motor more than the gasser...and if we kept the same Fed regulation trajectory of the last 8 years we will all be driving Smartcars and hybrids in the next 10 years.
2. Ethanol blend gas is even worse than regular gas on the energy density scale, and ruins more small gas motors than anyone knows (more hidden cost)
3. Govt ethanol subsidy, addt'l cost due to ULSD refinery issues and addt'l highway tax on diesel are the reasons diesel costs more than pump gas.
4. I'll be interested in seeing how the price of hybrid replacement battery packs is impacted when large numbers of cars start needing replacements...not too many people that I know are interested in putting 50%+ value of a used car back in scheduled maintenance costs.

So to help large cities with their smog issues the EPA adopts ever more stringent emissions regulations, fuel MPG requirements and fuel blend requirements...the only way the manufacturers can meet these numbers in the future is by making vehicles smaller and lighter or by using 'hybrid' technology that has other hidden costs...

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
It is always 2 years away. 2 years from now, there will be more spy photos and concepts for a 2021-issue... 2 years away.

Believe it exists when you can touch it and drive it at your local dealer. Until then, it is only so much more vaporware.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:45 pm 
LOST Addict

I think if an infrastructure for hydrogen powered vehicles is in place, this could be the future. Either electric charged with batteries plus hydrogen fuel cell, either a hydrogen refillable fuel tank plus additional fuel cell for extended mileage. Hydrogen powers up an electric motor.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2015/11/u-s-arm ... cell-news/

https://youtu.be/860SGNO4Sp4

https://youtu.be/kMLuH4nYVE8

Regarding diesel vs gasoline, take out epa requirements and diesel wins. Make reliable epa devices and I'm sure diesel will win. Gasoline engines are cheaper though, but they just don't have the torque/mileage a diesel can get. Period. That doesn't mean gasoline engines suck though, and gasoline engines are very advanced today, with cylinder deactivation and very good mileage, compared to what they used to be.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
Regarding diesel vs gasoline, take out epa requirements and diesel wins. Make reliable epa devices and I'm sure diesel will win.

See that is the thing,diesels pollute far more then gas engines and the pollution they throw out the tail pipe is the worst kind(NOX).To get the diesels to gas pollution levels you will always end up with a unreliable,no power,and not that great mileage compared to the cheaper and more reliable gas version.

You have alot of gas vehicles these days with great power,reliability,and good mpg's that are labeled(and tested) as "near zero emission" vehicles.Not 1 diesel on the market get's close.

With the huge leap in HCCI and hopefully Lamborghini/Boeing the gas engine will reign supreme for sometime.By then Hydrogen vehicles will come,sorry but hybrids and electric are short term gimmicks since battery tech just isn't there yet and leaves a bigger carbon foot print then the worst offenders on the current market.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Unfortunately I believe there is not enough demand for small diesel engines in the U.S. to drive the manufacturers to develop proper emissions controls. As a big diesel fan it pains me to say this. Because I think with the right equipment and programming the diesel could hang with the petrol.

The Nox gases are more of a problem in the cities (smog). But it's the cities regulations that determine cleanliness and efficiency standards.

Mazda is about to go HCCI. Also, the Koenigsegg Freevalve system makes leaps and bounds on efficiency and power. Individual actuation of valves. Variable timing, lift and duration with no camshaft. But even with current gasoline tech once in closed loop you can pretty much breathe what comes out of the tailpipe. I feel that is a long ways off for diesels.

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:30 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
vtdog2 wrote:

HCCI is gunna close the gap to diesel even more. Its already closing quite a bit but that evolution in gasoline tech will make the MPG difference close to nil.

I have been arguing that diesels in 3/4 tons is even silly at this point. Look at the payload capacity on a modern F250 diesel, its maybe a couple hundred lbs more than an F150. The problem is the 3/4 ton gasoline motors are lacking so no one wants them but throw a 5.0L Ecoboost at the F250 with 500hp and 650 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm and you have plenty of motor for anything you can legally throw at the F250 and it wont weight 1100 lbs and kill the payload.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:

The difference between the 1970's and now is that the gasoline engines took a major hit in power and MPG's back then, while the diesels now are the most powerful they have ever been. In less the 15 years we have gone from a 7.3L powerstoke with 275hp and 525 tq to a 6.7L with 445hp and and 925tq. Its not the same. The torque per liter has doubled during this whole emissions "crisis" yet the diesels are cleaner then ever.

Look at our jeeps. About the only emissions equipment it really has is the EGR and PCV system, both of which most of us have deleted of "fixed", and they still are highly unreliable and bigger heavier trucks like the ED ram are matching them on efficiency and are more powerful.

WWDiesel wrote:
Known fact:

This simply isn't the truth anymore. A GTDI motor makes as much torque and FAR more HP than a similar sized diesel. Look at Fords ecoboost motors in the F150; There's a guy on the F150 forum that has one with a tune and downpipes only and is making 555 RWTQ at 2500 rpm on a tune same for towing. GDE claims 420 tq to the wheels at 2700 rpm on their ecodiesel tune. Thats not even close. Forget the HP.

And big rigs? They use them for the efficiency because they are under a load constantly for 150,000 miles a year. The average driver is driving so much less than that. You cant tell me an EcoDiesel Ram that cost some guy $45,000 or $50,000(basically every one i see is a loaded Laramie or limited) is somehow saving a him a whole boat load of money when hes only doing 15-20k miles a year. I've done the math, it saves you about $30 a month at 20k mile a year using the reported numbers on Fuelly.com. Compare that to the total cost of the loan, insurance, fuel, and maintenance and it makes like a 3% difference in the cost of that truck per month.

I am honestly not sure why Ford is coming out with the diesel in the F150. I seriously think its just to beat Ram at their own game.

Locked KJ wrote:
Unfortunately I believe there is not enough demand for small diesel engines in the U.S. to drive the manufacturers to develop proper emissions controls. As a big diesel fan it pains me to say this. Because I think with the right equipment and programming the diesel could hang with the petrol.

The Nox gases are more of a problem in the cities (smog). But it's the cities regulations that determine cleanliness and efficiency standards.

Mazda is about to go HCCI. Also, the Koenigsegg Freevalve system makes leaps and bounds on efficiency and power. Individual actuation of valves. Variable timing, lift and duration with no camshaft. But even with current gasoline tech once in closed loop you can pretty much breathe what comes out of the tailpipe. I feel that is a long ways off for diesels.

Im excited for the new gasoline tech.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Does diesel really pollute more than gas with extraction, refining, and shipping emissions included? More NOx, but less co2. How much gas vs diesel is in a barrel of oil? I've been wondering about a true comparison as my jeep gets at least 30% better mpg's as a gas kj.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mountainman wrote:
Does diesel really pollute more than gas with extraction, refining, and shipping emissions included? More NOx, but less co2. How much gas vs diesel is in a barrel of oil? I've been wondering about a true comparison as my jeep gets at least 30% better mpg's as a gas kj.

That maybe true but your maintenance costs are usually 50%+ more than a KJ with a 3.7 which brings the overall operating costs in favor of the gas KJ.Take your 100k service,having a shop do it is about $1200 on average,the 30k/60k/90k service on a 3.7 KJ at a shop is about $700 for all 3 services combined.

I can tell you also there are far more gas KJ's with 250,000+miles then CRD's.I have 2 good customers at work that both have KJ's with 250k+ miles with OE engines and trans still in them,seen dozen's more come in now and again with 200k+ on them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:56 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

That maybe true but your maintenance costs are usually 50%+ more than a KJ with a 3.7 which brings the overall operating costs in favor of the gas KJ.Take your 100k service,having a shop do it is about $1200 on average,the 30k/60k/90k service on a 3.7 KJ at a shop is about $700 for all 3 services combined.

I can tell you also there are far more gas KJ's with 250,000+miles then CRD's.I have 2 good customers at work that both have KJ's with 250k+ miles with OE engines and trans still in them,seen dozen's more come in now and again with 200k+ on them.

This is what I have been trying to get across. A 30% fuel savings is not that much in actual dollars unless your driving a heinous amount of miles per year. In fact, at one point, diesel cost enough extra per gallon that it was almost cheaper to drive my F150 that was averaging 17-18 mpg at the time vs 24-25 for my jeep. Now its back down to a 10 cent difference so its in favor of the Jeep again.

But ultimately, if you gotta spend $2000+ in preventative maintenance(tune, EGR delete, rocker arms, Timing belt, silicone intake tubes, fuel filter head, lift pumps, etc etc etc) you have probably wiped out any fuel savings for the next 10 years. if you dont do the labor for the timing belt job yourself thats $2000 right there.

I would guess though that an unfiltered diesel, between the soot, nox, etc, probably burns dirtier than a modern gas engine. I remember that the folks who uncovered the VW diesel gate thing were seeing out put numbers 100x greater than they should have been. 30% better MPG wont account for 10000% more output in that case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

This is what I have been trying to get across. A 30% fuel savings is not that much in actual dollars unless your driving a heinous amount of miles per year. In fact, at one point, diesel cost enough extra per gallon that it was almost cheaper to drive my F150 that was averaging 17-18 mpg at the time vs 24-25 for my jeep. Now its back down to a 10 cent difference so its in favor of the Jeep again.

But ultimately, if you gotta spend $2000+ in preventative maintenance(tune, EGR delete, rocker arms, Timing belt, silicone intake tubes, fuel filter head, lift pumps, etc etc etc) you have probably wiped out any fuel savings for the next 10 years. if you dont do the labor for the timing belt job yourself thats $2000 right there.

I would guess though that an unfiltered diesel, between the soot, nox, etc, probably burns dirtier than a modern gas engine. I remember that the folks who uncovered the VW diesel gate thing were seeing out put numbers 100x greater than they should have been. 30% better MPG wont account for 10000% more output in that case.

I agree with your rough calculation on fuel economy alone, mass-hole... I can sometimes get better fuel economy with my 2011 Chevrolet Silverado with its 5.3L V-8 than I can with either of the Liberty CRDs the family owns.

However, it is not a fair comparison. Pollution control has been in existence on gasoline engines for almost 50 years now and is well-developed. Gasoline pollution control systems were terrible in the beginning, causing all kinds of reliability issues, power production and fuel economy problems for the first few years before consumer and consumer advocate demand for more reliable vehicles with better fuel economy forced manufacturers to develop better designed engines with more refined pollution control systems.

Diesel pollution control is barely 15 years old, and is still in the initial stages of development. Unfortunately, just like the difficult beginnings with gasoline pollution control, diesel pollution control is going through its experimental stage where manufacturers are using diesel vehicle consumers as guinea pigs to find out what works inexpensively. My contention is that all of the problems of diesel pollution control could have been avoided if the E.P.A. did its due diligence to avoid repeating what happened 45-odd years ago with gasoline engine pollution control.

Furthermore, and to a greater degree than what has happened with gasoline engines years earlier, the pollution control standards foisted upon diesels are ideologically driven by an Environmental Protection Agency that has been influenced by environmental pressure groups for years. The E.P.A. had a chance to do things better with diesels in the early 2000s than they did with gasoline engines in the 1960s to 1970s, but they didn’t bother… all they wanted were their super-stringent standards so that they can look good in the public’s eye, and to heck with the consequences because the consequences do not affect them.

The manufacturers are complicit in this because – for most of them, (VW is the exception here) - it affects a very small percentage of their entire vehicle line-up and it plays nicely into the following narratives…

1) The auto manufacturers live and die on planned obsolescence. They have no problems installing pollution control systems in diesel vehicles that just do the job of getting clean tailpipe emissions with no regard to fuel economy or reliability. The manufacturers actually like the fact that there are long-term reliability issues in these vehicles as they know this will encourage consumers to turn over their diesel vehicles after a few years of struggling with them… essentially they sell more vehicles this way.

2) The auto manufacturers want to look like they are being environmentally responsible as well as the E.P.A. Being “Green” has been in vogue for several years now, and it also helps to sell vehicles. I can recall a TV advertisement for the Chevy Cruise Diesel touting how clean and efficient it is. VW also had a significant advertising campaign promoting their “Clean Diesel” engines, (yes, I know they cheated… that doesn’t mean that they were not going to advertise that they were clean).

As mentioned, VW, (and now other German/European auto manufacturers), is the notable exception. Why? Because diesel vehicles make up a much larger percentage of the number of vehicles they sell. I am absolutely convinced that the people who made the decision to cheat did so because they felt that their brand could not take the reliability hit that would result from complying with the E.P.A. diesel regulations.

If somehow we could go back in time and change the pollution control standards for diesel engines to only allow increases in those standards that still retain maximum efficiency, (and by default, the reliability), of the engine, then I am certain that your fuel economy calculations would be off.

In fact, I believe that any future increases to pollution control standards that affect the efficiency, power production and reliability of any internal combustion engine should be outlawed. The current situation is with the E.P.A. is not only counter-productive and deeply flawed, it is also HYPOCRITICAL.

Sure, there currently is cleaner exhaust, but a significant amount more fuel is burned to achieve it using the archaic technology the manufacturers have provided. Is this being environmentally friendly? I think not. Neither is it environmentally friendly to design vehicles, (and for that matter, virtually everything else), with a short service life. Planned obsolescence is very bad for the environment.

Hopefully with Scott Pruitt now at the helm of the E.P.A. the current situation will change. Had pollution control standards been more reasonable, and had a legal mechanism been in place to force manufacturers to develop reliable pollution control systems that do not affect either the efficiency or the reliability of the pollution control systems or the engine itself, then we would not be having this conversation right now. I am not holding my breath on this, however. There is too much at stake with manufacturers needing to sell as many vehicles as possible to keep their unionized employees working and dealerships making money. So the consumer will likely keep getting SCREWED.

IMHO, I believe that if the E.P.A. and the auto manufacturers tackled emissions by developing technologies for all internal combustion engines to 100% completely burn the fuel/air mixture the 1st time it is in the cylinder, rather than trying to re-circulate partially burned fuel through again and again, then we would be light years ahead of where we are now. We would end up with engines that we really desire, that have extremely low emissions, more power, better fuel economy, and better reliability.

I certainly is possible… technology exists to have a diesel engine that emits very little pollution and is extremely efficient, powerful and reliable all at the same time. It simply is not done because it is bad for business. There are powertrains designed a long time ago that will maximize the efficiency of the diesel engine AND have an incredibly long service life that requires very little investment in upkeep. Automobile platforms can easily be designed that will last 50 years and are upgradeable to newer technologies. Neither of these great ideas are put into production for the same reasons.

masshole, most of the preventative measures you list are not due to the fact that the engine is a diesel, so your assertions here are also not fair comment. These kinds of problems are on all vehicles in one way or another, albeit it is worse on some vehicles than others. Timing belts, for example, are VERY common. Most of the blame for all of these upgrades that we have to perform can be laid at the feet of the manufacturers themselves for worshipping at the altar of planned obsolescence and adopting the use of the following tactics to pull more money out of our pockets...

1) Proprietary technology; manufacturers designing parts in a way that cannot be easily copied by the aftermarket. The Liberty CRD thermostat assembly is the poster child for this.

2) Designing a service life into individual parts, assemblies, and indeed the entire vehicle so that they simply wear out or rust out. Unibody construction is perhaps the #1 example for planned obsolescence... you essentially have to toss the entire vehicle if the unibody rusts out... you not only lose the vehicle's good looks, but the structural integrity is lost as well. Remember all of the hype years ago about unibody being better than body-on frame construction? YOU WERE BEING LIED TO. The Jeep Liberty rear disc brake backing plate is another great example, and factors in proprietary technology at the same time; FCA rubs salt into the wounds of Liberty owners by making them pay for an entire rear brake assembly rather than just a rear backing plate.

3) Employing less than desirable designs that have to be serviced, rather than designs that provide rock solid reliability for the entire life of the engine. The use of timing belts that wear out and need to be replaced is a good example of this. Timing chains, (good), or timing gears, (way better), are slowly being phased out of most engines because

4) High mark-ups on parts prices. Nothing more needs to be said here... we have all seen it.

These tactics are used in all vehicles today, with perhaps hand-built custom cars, exotic cars and Rolls-Royces being the exceptions to the rule. This is because boutique manufacturers are not concerned about selling you another vehicle, as there is always more demand for their vehicles than they can supply.

Finally, mass-hole, you do not know for sure if the 30% extra fuel economy is worth achieving when the output of NOx is 100X what it should have been. It could be that the standards are so ridiculous that 100X that ridiculously low amount is still quite small.

Tjkj2002: Your comparison is also not fair comment… there are at least 50 gasoline model KJ Libertys to every CRD… of course you are going to find more 3.7L gas models with mileages above 250,000 than you will CRDs.

For the edification and benefit of all LOSTJEEPS.com members, click on the following article written on August 11 by David Veksler of the Foundation for Economic Education. It details a very similar situation to what we are experiencing here with the Liberty CRD, and lays out what we are up against when we deal with environmental lobby groups like Greenpeace.

https://fee.org/articles/this-is-the-re ... les-break/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Regarding diesel vs gasoline, take out epa requirements and diesel wins. Make reliable epa devices and I'm sure diesel will win.

See that is the thing,diesels pollute far more then gas engines and the pollution they throw out the tail pipe is the worst kind(NOX).To get the diesels to gas pollution levels you will always end up with a unreliable,no power,and not that great mileage compared to the cheaper and more reliable gas version.

You have alot of gas vehicles these days with great power,reliability,and good mpg's that are labeled(and tested) as "near zero emission" vehicles.Not 1 diesel on the market get's close.

With the huge leap in HCCI and hopefully Lamborghini/Boeing the gas engine will reign supreme for sometime.By then Hydrogen vehicles will come,sorry but hybrids and electric are short term gimmicks since battery tech just isn't there yet and leaves a bigger carbon foot print then the worst offenders on the current market.
Tj, pzev (partial zero emission vehicle) is a near 0 emission when hot only. When cold, they smell no different than a 50 years old corvette. I'm not sure if they pollute the same but you can certainly smell the unburned, rich fuel mixture. I smelled, involuntarily, a Subaru and vw 1.8t (the new one with the exhaust manifold in the cyl head). My '15 ram EcoDiesel smells like fresh air at the tailpipe, even though I bet the tailpipe nox is higher, but nox doesn't smell.

Point is that oil based fuels will always pollute. It's an old fuel based on modernized old tech. Instead of having epa shove nonsense into those requirements, they'd rather help developing cleaner fuel, like hydrogen. Also, as Mr. Trump rightfully took us out from the Paris accord, it's a nonsense to have super crazy environment requirements when the rest of the world doesn't. Either all of us will need to do the same, either none, otherwise thus becomes a robbery for who enforces the anti pollution requirements.

My point is to address the cause of the issue, which is fossil fuel. If we somehow find out a reasonable cheap energy source, we should use it, but till we dont, we shouldn't go nuts about it but still be proactive and look for it. There are 100mpg carburetors being buried for the only reason of being too economical.

Regarding ecoboost engine. Very fast, impressive. But not a truck engine imo. Very bad mileage when towing. Bad mileage driving normal vs the 1500 ram diesel. Great engine for a hotrod. I'd buy the mustang with a 3.5 ecoboost but not the truck, which is ridiculously expensive, and that applies for Ford 150 in general. At least ram 1500 has lower trims with the EcoDiesel engine and much more affordable. Personal opinion.

One of my best friends has a gmc Sierra with the small v8, with cylinder deactivation. Good mileage for a v8, he gets about 20 when I get 24mpg wit ram. But in normal driving, with soft-medium acceleration, it feels like the EcoDiesel towing 4k, due to cylinder deactivation. Towing his camper he gets 8-10mpg, I get 14-15. You really need to step on it to feel it's a v8. I one don't like it, others may.

Nox is not an issue in most US cities, the problem with nox is in areas like LA, prone to smog due to lack of currents in the air. With all the current polluting vehicles and industry, us has still the cleanest air in the world. The priority should be to research different fuels that are cleaner.

Electric vehicles are a gimmicky and trendy alternative, unsustainable due to lack of autonomy, government subsidizing and the amount of extra energy that we need to produce just to charge them. Lithium is also very toxic.

I also doubt that in the short term future, Mazda will see mileage comparable to the new diesels. Time will tell, but I'm certain that new technological developments can only help all of us, consumers.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Tj, pzev (partial zero emission vehicle) is a near 0 emission when hot only. When cold, they smell no different than a 50 years old corvette. I'm not sure if they pollute the same but you can certainly smell the unburned, rich fuel mixture. I smelled, involuntarily, a Subaru and vw 1.8t (the new one with the exhaust manifold in the cyl head). My '15 ram EcoDiesel smells like fresh air at the tailpipe, even though I bet the tailpipe nox is higher, but nox doesn't smell.

Point is that oil based fuels will always pollute. It's an old fuel based on modernized old tech. Instead of having epa shove nonsense into those requirements, they'd rather help developing cleaner fuel, like hydrogen. Also, as Mr. Trump rightfully took us out from the Paris accord, it's a nonsense to have super crazy environment requirements when the rest of the world doesn't. Either all of us will need to do the same, either none, otherwise thus becomes a robbery for who enforces the anti pollution requirements.

My point is to address the cause of the issue, which is fossil fuel. If we somehow find out a reasonable cheap energy source, we should use it, but till we dont, we shouldn't go nuts about it but still be proactive and look for it. There are 100mpg carburetors being buried for the only reason of being too economical.

Regarding ecoboost engine. Very fast, impressive. But not a truck engine imo. Very bad mileage when towing. Bad mileage driving normal vs the 1500 ram diesel. Great engine for a hotrod. I'd buy the mustang with a 3.5 ecoboost but not the truck, which is ridiculously expensive, and that applies for Ford 150 in general. At least ram 1500 has lower trims with the EcoDiesel engine and much more affordable. Personal opinion.

One of my best friends has a gmc Sierra with the small v8, with cylinder deactivation. Good mileage for a v8, he gets about 20 when I get 24mpg wit ram. But in normal driving, with soft-medium acceleration, it feels like the EcoDiesel towing 4k, due to cylinder deactivation. Towing his camper he gets 8-10mpg, I get 14-15. You really need to step on it to feel it's a v8. I one don't like it, others may.

Nox is not an issue in most US cities, the problem with nox is in areas like LA, prone to smog due to lack of currents in the air. With all the current polluting vehicles and industry, us has still the cleanest air in the world. The priority should be to research different fuels that are cleaner.

Electric vehicles are a gimmicky and trendy alternative, unsustainable due to lack of autonomy, government subsidizing and the amount of extra energy that we need to produce just to charge them. Lithium is also very toxic.

I also doubt that in the short term future, Mazda will see mileage comparable to the new diesels. Time will tell, but I'm certain that new technological developments can only help all of us, consumers.

I guess I dont see how you can consider the Ecoboost a "HotRod" motor and not belonging in a truck. This is the exact mentality the GM and Ram execs probably have while they are getting their butts kicked by ford. The Ecoboost offers the exact same power delivery as a diesel, without the fall-on-its-face feeling you get after 3000 RPM. It is exactly everything that the GM V8 you describe is not, but without the $5000 price tag of a diesel. People have the option to buy a conventional V8, the 5.0, but its become apparent that the EcoBoost motors are the superior tow motors to most of the available V8's, with the exception of possibly GM's 6.2, exactly because of its diesel like characteristics. I can tow a trailer through the mountains of utah and never exceed 3000 rpm. The difference is that the ecoboost has the additional benefit of generating V8 like HP, unlike a diesel. Whether you use that HP at the drag strip or to tow a big trailer up a huge hill is up to you. Or you could choose not to use it at all.

Poor towing mileage is an artifact of the ecoboosts massive amounts of available power at any rpm. A 2017 Ecoboost pulls a 9000 lb enclosed trailer up a the Ike Gaunlet(I70 in Colorado) at 65mph and 3000 rpm. At any point that ecoboost could have accelerated and was not close to peak output, but the option was there. In order to do that it needs to burn fuel at a certain rate and because of the turbo's, direct injection, and gasolines ability to burn much faster(RPMs), it has the ability to do that. Not only that but its doing it casually. A V8 in the same scenario could probably also do 65mph but it would be screaming away and the driver would likely be uncomfortable and fatigued. This is the same argument that I've heard from diesel proponents for years, only its now applied to a gasoline motor. I can now take my trailer and tow it at 65mph up any hill like I am on a sunday drive. Sounds awful, doesnt it?

Conversely, an ecodiesel is out of gas(figuratively and literally) trying to pull a much smaller trailer up the same hill. It doesnt make enough hp and physically cannot consume fuel fast enough to even think about competing with an Ecoboost on fuel consumption rate, or any V8 for that matter. You have artificially limited yourself to better fuel economy by using an engine that cannot consume fuel any faster because its already at its max.

Given this concept, take the 2.7 Ecoboost IKE guanlet run vs the Ram ED. The Ecoboost does it in 7:38's and gets 4.3 mpg while the Ram does it in 9:03 and 6.1 mpg. Sounds like a huge difference. The thing is one truck is doing it at an average speed of 65mph while other does its at 52 mph. Thats a 56% increase in air drag on the Ecoboost, yet it nets 33% lower fuel economy(which is about the energy difference between the fuels coincidentally). My guess is that if you limited the ecoboost to the speed of the ED ram, its fuel mileage would be MUCH closer than you think. With an ecoboost that's 100% up to the driver. I have a brain and can make that decision and dont need an engines limitations to do it for me.

As far as the unloaded fuel economy, people get exactly what the EPA estimates unless they are lifting and putting bigger tires on them. I know you frequent the EcoDiesel ram forum where there are a few butthurt folks that though their 2011 4x4 supercrew ecoboost was supposed to average like 22 mpg, when that wasnt even the EPA estimate for a 2x4(it was 18 mpg combined, 17 for a 4x4). Can't believe everything you read on the internet. Now with the new 2015+ aluminum trucks guys are averaging even better than the 11-14's. The 2018's have the 10 speed with a super tall highway gear and its now getting even better. The 2018 2nd gen 2.7 ecoboost 4x4 is now rated at 19/24/21 while the 2017 ecodiesel ram 4x4 is 19/27/22. I surely dont spend 100% of my time on the highway so thats gunna be darn close at the end of the day.

At the end of the day a guy with an Ecoboost could comfortable tow his 7-8000 lb trailer, unhook it and get decent gas mileage heading to the drag strip, surprise a few WRX's at the drag strip by running in the mid to low 13's, and get home before dinner. That may not be your cup of tea but its an extremely well rounded platform.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Mass, I didn't want to hurt your feelings with my ecoboost rant. I'm glad you like it, and you liking it means you made a smart purchase. I also like Ford, and if they would have had a diesel, maybe I would've gotten one myself.

This being said, I still stand by my statement. Towing at high speeds up Eisenhower pass means the ecoboost f150 is a hot rod. Maybe Ford should make a big rig ecoboost engine so 18 wheelers can go 80mph uphill... Lol. Come on man, I get you like it, and I'm genuinely happy for you, but that doesn't mean that's a proper engine for a truck. No matter how good it is, it has the wrong fuel and mileage. And I'm not saying that EcoDiesel is awesome either. There are issues with overheating due to a cooling system designed, tipycally​ Chrysler way, to be cheap. But at the end of the road, I'll have more fuel autonomy and more money in my pocket than you will.

On the other side, if you tow a lot, you don't get an EcoDiesel, you get a Cummins and you have peace of mind. EcoDiesel and ecoboost are meant to go to home depot and get some plywood drive big part without towing and every now and then put a 5k travel trailer behind you. For more than that, get Cummins, dmax or powerstroke. At least that's my opinion.

Last edited by thermorex on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.