Post subject: Re: New Jeep Pickup w/diesel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Article about the Ike Gauntlet
http://www.tfltruck.com/2017-ike-gauntlet-highway-mpg/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Diesels may not be good drag racers, but this particular diesel was consistently the fastest car in every race it competed in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:25 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Diesels may not be good drag racers, but this particular diesel was consistently the fastest car in every race it competed in.

It was, because it stopped less for refueling. And that's where diesel shines. Efficiency.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
Mass, I didn't want to hurt your feelings with my ecoboost rant. I'm glad you like it, and you liking it means you made a smart purchase. I also like Ford, and if they would have had a diesel, maybe I would've gotten one myself.

This being said, I still stand by my statement. Towing at high speeds up Eisenhower pass means the ecoboost f150 is a hot rod. Maybe Ford should make a big rig ecoboost engine so 18 wheelers can go 80mph uphill... Lol. Come on man, I get you like it, and I'm genuinely happy for you, but that doesn't mean that's a proper engine for a truck. No matter how good it is, it has the wrong fuel and mileage. And I'm not saying that EcoDiesel is awesome either. There are issues with overheating due to a cooling system designed, tipycally​ Chrysler way, to be cheap. But at the end of the road, I'll have more fuel autonomy and more money in my pocket than you will.

On the other side, if you tow a lot, you don't get an EcoDiesel, you get a Cummins and you have peace of mind. EcoDiesel and ecoboost are meant to go to home depot and get some plywood drive big part without towing and every now and then put a 5k travel trailer behind you. For more than that, get Cummins, dmax or powerstroke. At least that's my opinion.

The ecoboost is a great engine for the F150 as it is a "light duty" pickup.Granted I'm not a fan of the small 2.7 in the F150,that should be a engine for a Ranger sized pickup while the 3.5 is good for the F150,more so with the aluminum body..Look at the new Raptor with the 3.5 ecoboost,more HP and more torque then the old Raptor with a 6.2 V8.Then you can look at the GT with near 650HP out of the same 3.5 ecoboost(most of the same internals shared between the Raptor 3.5 and GT 3.5).

As far as towing here in Colorado alot are ditching there 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels for the F150 with the 3.5 to tow 12,000lbs and under.Cheaper,tows faster,more comfortable,and can be reliably be used as a daily driver and a much cheaper overall cost and besides a very few counties no emissions which diesels get stuck with no matter what.

Granted your not touching the new F350/F450's for big towing jobs but not many need or will need to tow 30,000lbs either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Some just like the big diesels for the sound they make with fully opened 5-" straight exhaust.

I heard some time back that the EcoBoost vehicles qualified for a substantial PZEV tax credit. Was that ever a thing? Is it still a thing?

I first heard of this because of a Porsche that used a combination of combustion chamber design, and special catalysts, and a radiator with a catalytic coating. It was put into a special circular recycling wind tunnel which was filled with air simulating typical city smog levels, and run at 60mph for 1 hour. Before and after tests showed that the air had lower smog level after the vehicle was run, than before. And that's been a few years back.

Surprised they haven't done anything more with this. Probably temporarily squashed by the DOE via EPA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Meta_One

For those of you thinking that Diesels aren't clean or efficient, this concept vehicle was created with then-current technology in use 12 years ago, and still passes current PZEV levels. Why hasn't this drivetrain been imported? Because DoE, at the "request" of API-PAC, and backed by recent administrations, has blocked it's importation and given incentives to FOMOCO to keep even it's existence quiet.
Even a 1% improvement in average petroleum consumption results in billions of lost revenue in both taxable petro-co revenue, as well as lowered direct tax revenue, as petroleum is taxed per volume sold. (Gallon, in US) They simply will not allow any tech capable of significantly improving overall average MPG, to breach this market, until they finally get FED Tax Revenue to be anchored to miles driven rather than gallons consumed.
In California, they tried to pass a bill requiring every car to have a wireless odometer transponder device installed to vehicles, and transceivers at the pumps, so with every fill-up, they track what vehicle filled up where, when, how much fuel and how many miles driven. This didn't even make it through the State House floor, but it was written and is still out there somewhere.
They've even tried to implement a change to pound-mile road tax, which would hit every driver twice, and every person at least once, whether they own a vehicle or not, because of the trucking industry having to pass the enormous tax amount on to their customers, and ultimately to every consumer of anything that is carried by OTR trucks, parcel carriers, currier companies, etc. Only rail and air transportation wouldn't be affected. Fortunately this didn't fly either.
They will never allow us to have our cake, unless they can eat it too.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:55 am 
LOST Member

I have a CRD my Wife has a gasser Liberty the CRD beats the gasser on all marks there is not one thing the gasser is better at except cheaper maintenance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
MM53 wrote:
I have a CRD my Wife has a gasser Liberty the CRD beats the gasser on all marks there is not one thing the gasser is better at except cheaper maintenance

You are in a unique position having both - Where are they different on maintenance? Fixing problems doesn't really count, and are you doing the work yourself or having others do it for you? I find that diesels and gassers aren't that much different in what they need for regular maintenance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
MM53 wrote:

You are in a unique position having both - Where are they different on maintenance? Fixing problems doesn't really count, and are you doing the work yourself or having others do it for you? I find that diesels and gassers aren't that much different in what they need for regular maintenance.

Oil changes for the 3.7 can be as little as $20 or even less.

Trans,t-case,PS fluid,brake fluid,coolant,and diffs are all the same price no matter what,same goes for brakes,u-joints,ball joints,and the like.

100k service for a CRD at a shop will be a average of $1200,seen as low as $1000 and some for over $2000.

The 3.7 is chain driven with no service interval(will last 250k+) so that leaves spark plugs.With the correct plugs your looking at a average of $150 every 30k if done at a shop with a grand total of $450 for the 30k/60k/90k plug changes combined.Doing the plugs yourself is $10 for the correct plugs and 20mins of actual work to replace them.

The 3.7 has a lifetime fuel filter(2 filters actually) while the CRD's fuel filter must be changed like every 10k-15k.

Some non-maintenance items...................

-3.7 water pump = $40 and 20mins to change.
-How much and how hard is the CRD's WP to change?
-3.7 t-stat is $20 and takes 5mins to change(15mins for HD cooling).
-How much is a CRD t-stat?
-3.7 cylinder head is on average $300 for a remaned,so $600 for both and book labor is 11 hours to change both.
-How much is a CRD head?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:25 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
Mass, I didn't want to hurt your feelings with my ecoboost rant. I'm glad you like it, and you liking it means you made a smart purchase. I also like Ford, and if they would have had a diesel, maybe I would've gotten one myself.

This being said, I still stand by my statement. Towing at high speeds up Eisenhower pass means the ecoboost f150 is a hot rod. Maybe Ford should make a big rig ecoboost engine so 18 wheelers can go 80mph uphill... Lol. Come on man, I get you like it, and I'm genuinely happy for you, but that doesn't mean that's a proper engine for a truck. No matter how good it is, it has the wrong fuel and mileage. And I'm not saying that EcoDiesel is awesome either. There are issues with overheating due to a cooling system designed, tipycally​ Chrysler way, to be cheap. But at the end of the road, I'll have more fuel autonomy and more money in my pocket than you will.

On the other side, if you tow a lot, you don't get an EcoDiesel, you get a Cummins and you have peace of mind. EcoDiesel and ecoboost are meant to go to home depot and get some plywood drive big part without towing and every now and then put a 5k travel trailer behind you. For more than that, get Cummins, dmax or powerstroke. At least that's my opinion.

I do like it, but it gets me all twisted up when people say this stuff. The ecoboost gets beat on by everyone because its not a V8, or a couple people got under the rated gas mileage 6 years ago. Even the Ford 5.0L guys spout that same things. It was a fairly new technology and had its hiccups, but then ford ironed them out and have continued to develop not only their ecoboost tech, but the whole F150 platform.

And with regards to hot rodding up the IKE; I dont know your experience but here in Utah you have I-80 climbing almost 3000 feet out of SLC through a winding canyon. You've got 18 wheelers doing 20mph in the right lane, and you've got dudes in every other type of vehicle doing 70-80 mph in the other. Its like death race 2000. I will take the truck that can keep up with traffic every time for my own/families safety. I dont have 80000 lbs and 53' of trailer behind me to protect me when some yahoo decides not to change lanes fast enough. I've personally seen several one fataly in person and heard of a few others in the 2.5 years ive been here exactly because of this. Some guy slams into the back of a oil tanker and burns to death. I would imagine the ike and most other mountain passes are similar.

and there are guys out there that tow 9 or 10k lbs travel trailers with their ecoboosts perfectly fine. They dont want a 3/4 or 1 ton because they arent towing that every day or even every weekend and a 440hp/925 ft-lbs diesel is overkill and cost $10,000. The 3/4 and 1 ton gas motors are weaker than the 1/2 tons. I cant do this because I dont have the payload capacity to support that much tongue weight and my wife/son/generator/dogs but there are F150's out there with 2000 or 2500 lbs of payload and can do that legally.

I guess what I am saying is that if the Ecoboost isnt meant for a truck, then no gasoline engine is, which is simply false. Of the premium gas engines the ecoboost currently leads in fuel economy, yet it delivers the fantastic driving characteristics we all know and love from a diesel. It has a ton of power, but you can choose not to use it. It wont beat the Ecodiesel on MPG's but it gets darn near close these days and the dollars saved are very little compared to the overall cost of ownership. If I can afford a $40,000+ truck, I can afford the small difference in fuel cost.

Post subject: Re: Thermostat housing idea
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:45 am 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
thermorex wrote:

I do like it, but it gets me all twisted up when people say this stuff. The ecoboost gets beat on by everyone because its not a V8, or a couple people got under the rated gas mileage 6 years ago. Even the Ford 5.0L guys spout that same things. It was a fairly new technology and had its hiccups, but then ford ironed them out and have continued to develop not only their ecoboost tech, but the whole F150 platform.

And with regards to hot rodding up the IKE; I dont know your experience but here in Utah you have I-80 climbing almost 3000 feet out of SLC through a winding canyon. You've got 18 wheelers doing 20mph in the right lane, and you've got dudes in every other type of vehicle doing 70-80 mph in the other. Its like death race 2000. I will take the truck that can keep up with traffic every time for my own/families safety. I dont have 80000 lbs and 53' of trailer behind me to protect me when some yahoo decides not to change lanes fast enough. I've personally seen several one fataly in person and heard of a few others in the 2.5 years ive been here exactly because of this. Some guy slams into the back of a oil tanker and burns to death. I would imagine the ike and most other mountain passes are similar.

and there are guys out there that tow 9 or 10k lbs travel trailers with their ecoboosts perfectly fine. They dont want a 3/4 or 1 ton because they arent towing that every day or even every weekend and a 440hp/925 ft-lbs diesel is overkill and cost $10,000. The 3/4 and 1 ton gas motors are weaker than the 1/2 tons. I cant do this because I dont have the payload capacity to support that much tongue weight and my wife/son/generator/dogs but there are F150's out there with 2000 or 2500 lbs of payload and can do that legally.

I guess what I am saying is that if the Ecoboost isnt meant for a truck, then no gasoline engine is, which is simply false. Of the premium gas engines the ecoboost currently leads in fuel economy, yet it delivers the fantastic driving characteristics we all know and love from a diesel. It has a ton of power, but you can choose not to use it. It wont beat the Ecodiesel on MPG's but it gets darn near close these days and the dollars saved are very little compared to the overall cost of ownership. If I can afford a $40,000+ truck, I can afford the small difference in fuel cost.
I see your point. Imo, a truck, no matter how small, should come in diesel first, then gasoline. Or better said, every truck should have a diesel option. Maybe the European in me thinks this is normal. The reason I say ecoboost a hotrod is bc is has more power than a regular v8 and brags about going uphill, Ike gauntlet in the fastest time, who cares, who does times when tows is missing some screws... Normally, you'd prefer more power than less power in any engine, so I don't blame anyone for liking it. It's also a mentally many have, which is "diesels suck", and very many half ton drivers are supporters of the concept: if it ain't v8 gasoline, it's trash.

So ecoboost is not a proper truck engine like no gasoline is a proper truck engine. This is what I believe since I see a truck as being a tool, not a hotrod, not just a bigger vehicle that you purchase to go to work 9-5 every work day. But half tons are actually most used this way, according to some studies I've seen. So what I believe is not what most of the half ton market believes, and I'm fully aware of it.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 am 
LOST Member

My CRD has been down for 4 months due to a blown turbo. Thanks to the LOW Canadian $$$ i cannot order parts without the new turbo costing $1500 - 2000 CDN after exchange rate, shipping, taxes and duties.

Every day I fire up my massive Cummins inline 6 diesel at work and drive the almighty living crap out of it with 10 - 18 ton loads. All the shop guys do is drain the oil once in a while.

I've rolled the work truck Odo over 2 mil plus now. about to roll it it over to 3 mil. Most likely in feb or march.

27 YEAR OLD ENGINE/ Never overhauled. just water pumps, injectors and 2 alternators. No Issues.

and then there is these jeep crd POS "diesel" engines.

I will never ever buy a f-ing jeep product again. 4 years of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GONE

.........almost went financially bankrupt last year ($20,000 total wasted , almost my years wages) thanks to this F-ing POS CRD. Its still sitting in the parking lot, puking oil, squirrel nests in the inter-cooler inlets. Crap load of new parts, diff parts, suspension parts, installed on it. and for what? ...........f-ing POS! drive it to work......down for a week while getting repaired. drive to cabin ? thank god i have friends with Toyota 4x4's to rescue me. Down for a month. get it fixed, couple weeks of driving, down for another month and more parts. F-ing POS!

for what i've wasted $$$$$$$$$$ on this jeep crd POS since i bought it , i could have bought a BRAND NEW Deuce 6x6 with a CUMMINS or Detroit Diesel.....a REAL DIESEL ENGINE like my work truck ......not this POS half booty attempt at a diesel.

I seriously question the sanity of anyone that keeps throwing money into these POS worthless POS crd's

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:53 am 
LOST Addict

Sorry to hear that yours had been so problematic and expensive to repair.
Jeeps aren’t exactly known for their low operating costs.
Could be worse, you could have a Land Rover.
The Tacoma is great but even Toyota lays a bad egg once in a while.

If you want a big reliable diesel, stay away from anything made within the last 10 years. And if you do get something newer, get a Duramax.
At work, our fleet of powerstrokes have been nothing but trouble. Mostly cooling system and exhaust/emissions control problems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:41 am 

I agree on the Cummins, if you want a real diesel truck, get a Dodge Cummins, (pre 2011 DEF install) plenty of good used ones out there if you shop around....
Ford diesels nothing but trouble, know several who have had the displeasure of owning one of them!
Duramax's I read do not fare much better, have their own set of problems!

Bought my Dodge Cummins new in 98 and have had zero problems out of motor! Still going very strong!!!
Had to beef up transmission & TC to handle additional (EDGE Box) motor torque output, it was the weak link, other than that and a cracked dash, no other problems or issues! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 am 
LOST Addict

All I've gotta say, is that when I put my jeep in 4 low, and practically idle up a ridiculously steep trail over loose rocks, and it never spins or slips a tire, it makes me happy that I chose the diesel. For true jeeps trails, diesel torque and cool running is pretty nice. :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:53 am 
LOST Addict

Before we went to an all Ford fleet, we had one 2005 Duramax 3500 dually.
That thing was awesome and consistently towed a 12,000 lb trailer with ease.
The only issue we ever had was when we burned up the brakes due to a faulty trailer brake controller.
Didn't even know the trailer brakes were not functioning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mountainman wrote:
All I've gotta say, is that when I put my jeep in 4 low, and practically idle up a ridiculously steep trail over loose rocks, and it never spins or slips a tire, it makes me happy that I chose the diesel. For true jeeps trails, diesel torque and cool running is pretty nice. :JEEPIN:

My gas KJ does that also,plus going down those steep grades I have to give it gas in 4low.

Gear ratio,gear ratio,gear ratio,and gear ratio is more important then engine torque off road.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
Before we went to an all Ford fleet, we had one 2005 Duramax 3500 dually.
That thing was awesome and consistently towed a 12,000 lb trailer with ease.
The only issue we ever had was when we burned up the brakes due to a faulty trailer brake controller.
Didn't even know the trailer brakes were not functioning.

My boss and another service writer have a '03 and '04 2500HD Duramax,the bosses has 210k on it and the service writers has 135k on it.The bosses is needing injectors again for the 2nd time and 3rd water pump while the service writer is getting ready for his 1st set of injectors and 2nd trans.

That's not including the multiple front wheel bearings and ball joints put in but both Ford and Dodge have those same issues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I'm hearing about ball joint issues on LOTS of different vehicles across manufacturers recently. What has happened in the industry? Are they hollowing out golf balls and using those instead of quality parts? I never remember hearing about things like that during the 90s.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
I'm hearing about ball joint issues on LOTS of different vehicles across manufacturers recently. What has happened in the industry? Are they hollowing out golf balls and using those instead of quality parts? I never remember hearing about things like that during the 90s.

People are lazy and have gotten very lazy in the last 20 years.This is why you are hearing about alot of tie rod end and ball joint failures since the manufacturers were forced to go to sealed units.

Sealed units last longer then greaseable units that never get greased.

Doesn't help the newer ball joints and tie rod ends have plastic in them and the vehicles are heavier and carry much more weight(towed and payload) then 20-30 years ago.

Just think a F150 now tows more and can carry more(payload) then a F250 made 25-30 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
The ecoboost is a great engine for the F150 as it is a "light duty" pickup.Granted I'm not a fan of the small 2.7 in the F150,that should be a engine for a Ranger sized pickup while the 3.5 is good for the F150,more so with the aluminum body..Look at the new Raptor with the 3.5 ecoboost,more HP and more torque then the old Raptor with a 6.2 V8.Then you can look at the GT with near 650HP out of the same 3.5 ecoboost(most of the same internals shared between the Raptor 3.5 and GT 3.5).

As far as towing here in Colorado alot are ditching there 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels for the F150 with the 3.5 to tow 12,000lbs and under.Cheaper,tows faster,more comfortable,and can be reliably be used as a daily driver and a much cheaper overall cost and besides a very few counties no emissions which diesels get stuck with no matter what.

Granted your not touching the new F350/F450's for big towing jobs but not many need or will need to tow 30,000lbs either.

I agree with you pretty much 100% on the 3.5. Some of these new 1/2 tons have moved into a position where they can replace the towing duties of a 3/4 and 1 ton diesels for smaller loads, especially at altitude. You have a lightweight motor with a ton of low end torque that can nearly match a 3/4 ton diesel on payload capacity. hell, you can get a 3.5 Ecoboost with the HD Payload package that can have a 2600 lb payload capacity in a crew cab 4x4 and tow a decent 5th wheel. Thats more payload than a diesel 3/4 ton in a smaller, less expensive truck. We dont need 925 ft-lbs to tow a 12000 lb trailer.

I do have to disagree here on the 2.7. I think its a fantastic option for someone looking for a truck as a daily driver first and foremost, who also tows no more than 7k lbs on the weekends. It really does achieve better MPG's than the 3.5 Ecoboost and pretty much any V8 1/2 ton(Fuelly.com says 2 mpg), and it only costs $995(and includes the 10 speed trans) over the base V6 whereas the 3.5 EB is $2595. its not nearly as much of a powerhouse as the 3.5, but most people towing 1/2 ton sized travel trailers arnt getting much over 7k anyways. If I decide to trade up to a 2018+ F150 I could very well be looking at a 2.7 as my trailer is only 5500 lbs. If i was gunna move up to something bigger, like a Toy Hauler, I would stick with a 3.5.