It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear upper arm ball joint failure.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:09 am 
LOST Newbie

On my third upper rear arm ball joint on my KJ. Lasts about 1 year or 20 thousand kilometers before it gets to the stage of being difficult to drive. Can only get a genuine Jeep ball joint in Australia. Had the same problem with the genuine Jeep bushes until after market poly (super pro) ones were fitted. Learnt my lesson the hard way so the rest of the suspension is after market with no problems. There is no reason why this should be happening, it has only been raised slightly and does no off road work, just run to work and back on the bitumen. Jeep won't come to the party as they warrant the part for 10 thousand kilometers only. Where can I get one that lasts? :furious:

Post subject: Re: Rear upper arm ball joint failure.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do you mean the boomerang shaped rear upper control arm and if so are you replacing the whole thing or just the ball joints? FYI a Moog replacement ball joint is available in AU at http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-CHEROKE ... 1881220629

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rockauto has same part by Moog for $48.00 US

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Improper pressing of the ball joint can lead to reduced life and I can say that is one ball joint that is very hard to press in properly.

Best to buy a whole new upper tri-link then trying to press in new parts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I have been under the impression that complete Mopar tri-links were the best, considering money-per-mile. Is this wrong?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:32 am 
LOST Junkie

I'll be another one that agrees the big ball joint is difficult to press in. I've tried on two different ones and just ended up buying the whole complete boomerang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:45 pm 

jws84_02 wrote:
I'll be another one that agrees the big ball joint is difficult to press in. I've tried on two different ones and just ended up buying the whole complete boomerang

The single ball joint can be pressed out and a new one pressed back in with a proper hydraulic press & press tools and an experienced operator! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
jws84_02 wrote:

The single ball joint can be pressed out and a new one pressed back in with a proper hydraulic press & press tools and an experienced operator! :roll:

Finding the correct cup for said ball joint is nearly impossible unless you order from the dealer,it's like some oddball number between 5.5" and 6".

I've seen most warp that tri-link trying to press in/out the bushings/ball joint.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:39 pm 
LOST Member

I wonder how many people have had this part fail repeatedly or prematurely?

I just ripped a local shop a new one because I paid them to replace nearly every bushing under the Jeep and they DESTROYED the boomerang when they put the ball joint back in. I feel a little bit bad after reading this, but I also don't because they previously left one of the bolts loose which fell out on the highway at 75mph! They also didn't tell me they butchered it, which tells me they were more interested in trying to hide it than telling me the truth.

Anyway, I have access to quite a bit of fabrication equipment and have been considering making a welded box-beam style boomerang with a heavier wall where the ball joint gets pressed in. I would add some hefty set screws just to secure the joint better. I also want to pour some custom urethane bushings for the other end to get rid of some of the loose feeling on the highway and prevent having to change them every 20k miles!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 pm 
LOST Member

I have a Moog K500190 rear upper ball joint that I am planning on installing here pretty soon, and I got this one because of Moog's quality (used them on the front) and because it is supposed to be greasable.
Problem is that there is no Zirc grease fitting on it. It is their top of the line "Problem Solver, greasable"
So how do you grease it periodically?

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DocB wrote:
I have a Moog K500190 rear upper ball joint that I am planning on installing here pretty soon, and I got this one because of Moog's quality (used them on the front) and because it is supposed to be greasable.
Problem is that there is no Zirc grease fitting on it. It is their top of the line "Problem Solver, greasable"
So how do you grease it periodically?

You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

APC9199 wrote:

I just ripped a local shop a new one because I paid them to replace nearly every bushing under the Jeep and they DESTROYED the boomerang when they put the ball joint back in. I feel a little bit bad after reading this, but I also don't because they previously left one of the bolts loose which fell out on the highway at 75mph! They also didn't tell me they butchered it, which tells me they were more interested in trying to hide it than telling me the truth.

Anyway, I have access to quite a bit of fabrication equipment and have been considering making a welded box-beam style boomerang with a heavier wall where the ball joint gets pressed in. I would add some hefty set screws just to secure the joint better. I also want to pour some custom urethane bushings for the other end to get rid of some of the loose feeling on the highway and prevent having to change them every 20k miles!

Jeepin By Al makes a bolt on(and weld on) 4 link replacement for that rear tri-link,no more bushing or a ball joint.Granted it comes with Heim joints which suck but should be easily be able to swap out for some Johnny Joints.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:14 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
APC9199 wrote:

Jeepin By Al makes a bolt on(and weld on) 4 link replacement for that rear tri-link,no more bushing or a ball joint.Granted it comes with Heim joints which suck but should be easily be able to swap out for some Johnny Joints.

http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007 ... -link.html

Holy crap! Expensive much?!

I don't like the idea of welding anything to my axle either. Maybe a more "modular" tab system of some sort, but definitely not that thing. I like the idea, but that seems overkill, and they even state that it is primarily for those who have damaged the ball joint mount on the differential. My idea is to use similar construction to that unit, but use the existing mounting points.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

They make a bolt on version.

The price is not bad,my controls alone retail at about $1500.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:29 pm 
LOST Member

What do you mean "You don't".
It's advertised as greasable.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DocB wrote:
What do you mean "You don't".
It's advertised as greasable.

That one is not,they use the same add for all there problem solver joints,which alot do not actually have a grease zerk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the info TJ.
Still, I will call Moog on Tuesday. The product description of being greasable is the reason I went out of my way to get this joint.
I would hate to have to tap this joint to thread in a grease fitting. The small round silver colored tit on the bottom of the unit rotates freely so drilling and tapping could be challenging.
BTW-that plug does not pull out.......yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:57 am 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Do you mean the boomerang shaped rear upper control arm and if so are you replacing the whole thing or just the ball joints? FYI a Moog replacement ball joint is available in AU at http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-CHEROKE ... 1881220629

I think I'll go with this first before trying anything else as I have poly bushes fitted to the other end of the boomerang upper control arm which seem quite good. I hope a new boomerang is not the only way out! Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:30 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Never trust those cheap tri-links, had two lasted less than 3 months.
Many have tried pressing in new ball joints either to have the metal bend or again only last a few months
only way is the MOPAR tri-links or the bolt on JBA one. I've been using them for a long time, well before they even came out

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:15 pm 
LOST Addict

For few more bucks, get the whole wishbone from napa and there are no issues with ball joint or installation. The ball joint could be pretty stuck in the Diff case, I had a very hard time taking it out (salt + cleveland reasons) and ended up butchering the ball joint and cutting the ball joint bc I lost my patience. If you wanna go crazy offroading like tj and Tom, then I'd spend the money and get a 4 link.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.