It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Special procedure for checking oil level?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I freely admit that I'm a newb at mechanical things, but I still feel a little silly asking this question...

For those who haven't read my other posts I bought a crd that hasn't run in over a year. When I pull the oil dipstick out, wipe it off, reinsert it, then pull it back out there is way too much oil on the dipstick. I tried to take a picture, but I'm not sure how much you can see... The level is up into the coiled part of the dipstick. Am doing something wrong?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Special procedure for checking oil level?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

driain it, you might have water in the pan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Are you sure the correct amount of oil is in there?

Maybe spray the dipstick or soak it completely with some solvent and let it drip dry.
Then try again.

Edit: my 05 and my wifes 06 dipsticks are coiled just like yours

Last edited by flash7210 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 pm 
LOST Member

Call me an idiot, but I've never seen a braided oil dipstick on a CRD before! Maybe this is the "revised" dipstick that I've heard about a few times?

Are you sure that is the right one for your vehicle? You should change the oil on a newly purchased vehicle every time, so dh100m is right, but I'm worried you may not have the right dipstick to make sure the fill amount is correct. The correct fill amount for a standard sized oil filter is 6.4 quarts. Most people generally do not go by the fill lines on the stick, they go by the PROPER amount of oil by volume. When you drain it, get a graduated measuring cup and fill it using 6.4 quarts of oil and a standard size oil filter and you know the amount is correct. You can then drive it a few miles, let it cool, and mark your dipstick at the correct location of the oil level.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No longer having my CRD IIRC the oil dip stick is a coiled flexible one. I have no opinion on whether or not your dipstick is correct but I'm not sure it matters as long as it fits the hole and goes in far enough. I'll offer the following.
1. it's a used vehicle so as noted drain the oil
2. full fill is as noted 6.4 qts on stock size filter (WIX 51516 or NAPA Gold 1516) or 7qts with oversize filter (NAPA Gold 1515 or WIX 51515).
3. add the appropriate amount of oil as noted above; crank-up and idle for like 5 minutes; turn off and let sit like 15 minutes; check oil level and mark on dipstick as needed (low mark should be ca. 1/4" below full fill mark). The engine oil passages are small so it takes a bit for the oil to drain back into the pan for an accurate reading.

I'll also remark that this needs to be done on a flat and level surface as the oil level reading is sensitive to the vehicle being on a slope. Parked nose in on my slightly sloped driveway (e.g. nose up a bit) the oil level reading will be 1qt low but when level the reading is full.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

dh100m wrote:

I think this makes the most sense especially since the original problem was a blown head gasket and the level is so far off.

I'll drain it sometime soon (hopefully tomorrow) and report back what I find.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the coiled dipstick. 6.4 quarts puts it right to the full line with a wix 51516.

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Both the engine oil and transmission fluid dipsticks on my 2006 are coil wound over round to flex in any direction.

It's most likely water as mentioned before, but I think worth checking, that someone hasn't put the Transmission dipstick in the engine oil location. It is longer, and it will fit in. The difference is the transmission has a shouldered cap just below the ring that flares out over then Trans Dipstick Tube, whereas the engine oil one does not. It only has O ring seal that fits internal to the engine oil tube.

It's odd that so many different dipsticks would be used for the CRDs. Can't think of why they would do that.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

sbarne3 wrote:
dh100m wrote:

I think this makes the most sense especially since the original problem was a blown head gasket and the level is so far off.

I'll drain it sometime soon (hopefully tomorrow) and report back what I find.

Couldn't stand the suspense any longer.

I pulled off the drain plug and water came shooting out (and all over my garage floor :cry: )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

That's too bad. I was betting against water in the oil. I wonder why it didn't turn the oil colors? The picture of your dipstick looks like straight oil to me.

For what it's worth my oil dipstick is coiled and my tranny dipstick it the more common flat metal. When checking my engine oil I have to wipe off the dipstick and reinsert it several times before it gives a good read. I think that the coiled stick traps oil in the tube and doesn't let it drain. Usually 5 to 6 cleanings to get a reading of actual oil level.