It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thermostat housing idea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 am 
LOST Member

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with an affordable easy to replicate quality solution to the thermostat housing dilemma, last night I picked up a "used" 9 year old still in box plasmacam and this morning an idea came to me.

I need to look at my stuck housing, the thought was to write a program for the base and top flanges as well as the horizontal and possibly vertical portions and use some sort of a factory top from another vehicle. Hopefully this makes sense, it would still requirk a little machineing of the seating surfaces, however there would be no welded cast aluminum so it would make assembly much easier and address some of the previous concerns.

I thought it put it out there while it is fresh in my mind

Post subject: Re: Thermostat housing idea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 am 
LOST Addict

Good luck to you... you are going to need it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:25 am 
LOST Member

And there is the attitude that has led me down this path! It has nothing to do with luck though...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:00 am 
LOST Addict

NapaBavarian wrote:
And there is the attitude that has led me down this path! It has nothing to do with luck though...

A bit thin skinned, are we? I simply stated that you are going to require some luck if you want to fabricate a thermostat housing using a plasmacam.

However, if you decide that you want to get your dander up, let me give you a real reason to be irritated with me...

When you have spent over $2000.00 worth of your time in a fruitless effort to make something that even approaches the quality and performance of the H.D.S. Model 001; swallow your pride, eat some humble pie, and apologise to me for all of the libelous things you have posted about me on other threads...

Aaaannndd maybe I will sell you a Model 001.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gentleman put down your swords. If NapaBavarian wants to have a go at it then so be it. If TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK thinks it's unlikely the project will be a success then so be it.

In the real world if you tstat needs replacement pick your options:
1. OEM style (not Crown brand) and replace every so often.
2. copy Kap's design
3. copy the alternative to Kap's design
4. buy TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK's product
5. invent your own alternative.

Me I've done several of the above but would not attempt #5.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo, thanks, there was a well thought out somewhat machined design than I need to locate, it may be the one you refer to. It seems a number of these have come and gone over the years. I'd like to pick up where they left off and come up with something simple to produce, based on the very aggressive attitude of the above I see a great deal of profit margin in his design, in other words, it isn't nearly as expensive or difficult to produce as is claimed.

In reality I'd like to come up with something that would be open source so anyone could build their own or build them for resale, I have no interest in profit or being a manufacturer, I would like to see those who can't afford $500 ballpark be able to have a replaceable option hopefully in the ballpark of a factory thermostat, let's say $200.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Kap's thermostat info
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50940

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Napa, if you like messing around improving stuff, this is a project for you. If you just want a great thermostat, get hds version since it will save you time and money.

This being said, I'll be following your progress since I like when people get creative. At least, even if you don't end up monetizing your invention, you'll have the satisfaction of your work. Good luck!

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
A bit thin skinned, are we?

All subjects considered, I don't think anyone, certainly not any of us, have right to claim total freedom from this.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 am 
LOST Member

After sleeping on this I believe I have been presented with a challange, I have no experience with 3d cad and started with a concept I know, a friend is going to set up an old computer for my Plasmacam and I may look into learning a new program, no promises, hopefully this will be a winter project.

Kap's design is what I was thinking of, the general idea was to design a simple base from flat stock that could be quickly cut and easily welded to reduce labor and simplify production.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NapaBavarian - there is an alternative to both the Kap and HDS designs posted on LOST but I cannot find the link but I bet someone else can. It uses the OEM housing at least in part.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:56 am 
LOST Member

NapaBavarian wrote:

Brother Im with YOU!! the old crap is just that! do Yourself a big Favor and Just buy One of Bauers Mod001,you will thank yourself,..hey !the quality is long remembered after the price is long forgot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:58 pm 
LOST Addict

NapaBavarian wrote:
papaindigo, thanks, there was a well thought out somewhat machined design than I need to locate, it may be the one you refer to. It seems a number of these have come and gone over the years. I'd like to pick up where they left off and come up with something simple to produce, based on the very aggressive attitude of the above I see a great deal of profit margin in his design, in other words, it isn't nearly as expensive or difficult to produce as is claimed.

In reality I'd like to come up with something that would be open source so anyone could build their own or build them for resale, I have no interest in profit or being a manufacturer, I would like to see those who can't afford $500 ballpark be able to have a replaceable option hopefully in the ballpark of a factory thermostat, let's say $200.

There you go again accusing me of profiteering, and the reason I am justifiably pissed at you. I have not lied about the costs for manufacturing the Model 001, and I make a smaller profit margin than any other CRD upgrade supplier. If you are whining about profit margins, why haven't you mentioned anything about the Sasquatch Motorsports Intake Elbow?!? That thing costs less than $100.00 to manufacture, and Seth is tripling the money he gets back from his investment in it!

If you can't afford the Model 001, NapaBavarian, just say so and I'll understand. But to not respond to the e-mail information letter I sent you over a year ago, and then try to assassinate my character on this forum because you don't like the price is really sleazy. :evil:

For the record, I have offered the opportunity in the past to have someone like papaindigo speak directly to the machine shop that machines the Model 001 housing, cap and hose barb. You can hear directly from the guy I pay to have these parts made to check FIRST HAND the cost of carving the parts that make up 80% of the cost of manufacturing the Model 001, (and that does not include the time I put in assembling them). So far nobody has taken the offer, so I have to ask... what are you all afraid of? Are you all worried of finding out that quality parts cost a lot of money to buy?

I find it totally ironic that I am willing to open my books for EVERYONE to see so that they KNOW my prices are not only fair, they are actually a bargain in comparison to the markups by other vendors and manufacturers. No other business would do this, perhaps because they know cheapskates like NapaBavarian will always play armchair quarterback and want to be the one to determine profit margin, even though they don't have a clue as to everything that is involved to develop and get a product to market.

I AM sensitive to the price of my product, and that is why I made this offer to have a CRD owner talk to the machine shop that carves the Model 001 housing, cap and hose barb. I WANT people to know that my markups are very reasonable.

The offer stands... any LOSTJEEPS.com member can inquire with the machine shop I use, and can speak to Juan Ruiz, the general manager. I ask only the following...

1) Get a group of CRD members together, and elect ONE person to do this. Do not get a group of people calling the machine shop all asking for the same cost analysis from Mr. Ruiz... he is a busy man and does not have time for B.S. That person is to e-mail me at INTCOMBUSTION2@hotmail.com and I will give that person only the contact information of the machine shop I use. Confirmation that the contact information is of a legitimate machine shop can be had by following up with a call to the Better Business Bureau of Central and Northern Alberta, (https://www.bbb.org/edmonton/get-to-know-us/contact-us/).

2) Please call at the end of the day, between 5:00 PM and 5:45 PM Mountain Standard Time. This is the best time to call him as he is winding down for the day.

3) The designated person who contacts Juan Ruiz WILL start a new thread on Liberty CRD...Love that Torque and post his or her findings for everyone to see.

I spent around $20,000.00 CDN developing the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 at the request of MANY Liberty CRD owners over three years ago, only to have about half of them bail on me when the real costs of bringing this product to market were realised. A good portion of them left due to the innuendo, spin and outright lies offered up by LOSTJEEPS members like NavaBavarian, who is not my customer and has not seen the product first hand. I have been digging myself out of a hole ever since, despite having a top notch product that ALL of my customers who did have faith in me say is money well spent. Just putting it out there if people are wondering why I am ripping into NapaBavarian so much.

For the record, the design that NapaBavarian is likely looking for is one another member made that would not even be in existence had this other member not gleaned the hard-earned knowledge I obtained - at cost - in my research to develop the Model 001. LOSTJEEPS.com members should look hard at this and look down the road to unforeseen consequences in future scenarios where an upgrade part like the Liberty CRD thermostat is desperately required. Nobody is going to want to step up and spend the money and time for development of that part, only to have someone else steal the idea and make cheaper versions of the newly developed part and then call it "just as good" as the original.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeff, you make the best thermostat that I have ever seen, this includes oem and other oem thermostats from other vehicles. Plain and simple, a masterpiece. Hopefully you'll have the energy and will to go develop one for the EcoDiesel, maybe partnership with gde for a custom tune. Keep wanting to call you about it but I'm super busy... I think I'll email you, you called me while I was overseas and was hard for me to answer due to the time zone. Regardless, to get back to the crd thermostat, don't mind others doing competition, you have such a solid product that will be very hard to beat. Also, keep in mind that crd is an old vehicle that devaluated over the years by a lot, and most don't like spending even the amount for an oem thermostat. That's why I suggest to start developing a thermostat for EcoDiesel. If you also come up with a bigger radiator, I can guarantee you'll make decent money.

Let them forum folks have it in trying to develop a thermostat alternative. Time will tell if they'd be successful, which is what I sincerely wish them.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hahaha.......it is always someone else's fault isn't it Jeff? You only have yourself and your ego to blame for any lost sales.

I see zero reasons why you should be dragging poor Juan Ruiz into this mess. Why does he deserve that headache?

Just post your company's CRA federal tax returns. Should settle any profit arguments once and for all. You seem so eager to prove your point, but you always want others to do the work.
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
NapaBavarian wrote:

There you go again accusing me of profiteering, and the reason I am justifiably pissed at you. I have not lied about the costs for manufacturing the Model 001, and I make a smaller profit margin than any other CRD upgrade supplier. If you are whining about profit margins, why haven't you mentioned anything about the Sasquatch Motorsports Intake Elbow?!? That thing costs less than $100.00 to manufacture, and Seth is tripling the money he gets back from his investment in it!

If you can't afford the Model 001, NapaBavarian, just say so and I'll understand. But to not respond to the e-mail information letter I sent you over a year ago, and then try to assassinate my character on this forum because you don't like the price is really sleazy. :evil:

For the record, I have offered the opportunity in the past to have someone like papaindigo speak directly to the machine shop that machines the Model 001 housing, cap and hose barb. You can hear directly from the guy I pay to have these parts made to check FIRST HAND the cost of carving the parts that make up 80% of the cost of manufacturing the Model 001, (and that does not include the time I put in assembling them). So far nobody has taken the offer, so I have to ask... what are you all afraid of? Are you all worried of finding out that quality parts cost a lot of money to buy?

I find it totally ironic that I am willing to open my books for EVERYONE to see so that they KNOW my prices are not only fair, they are actually a bargain in comparison to the markups by other vendors and manufacturers. No other business would do this, perhaps because they know cheapskates like NapaBavarian will always play armchair quarterback and want to be the one to determine profit margin, even though they don't have a clue as to everything that is involved to develop and get a product to market.

I AM sensitive to the price of my product, and that is why I made this offer to have a CRD owner talk to the machine shop that carves the Model 001 housing, cap and hose barb. I WANT people to know that my markups are very reasonable.

The offer stands... any LOSTJEEPS.com member can inquire with the machine shop I use, and can speak to Juan Ruiz, the general manager. I ask only the following...

1) Get a group of CRD members together, and elect ONE person to do this. Do not get a group of people calling the machine shop all asking for the same cost analysis from Mr. Ruiz... he is a busy man and does not have time for B.S. That person is to e-mail me at INTCOMBUSTION2@hotmail.com and I will give that person only the contact information of the machine shop I use. Confirmation that the contact information is of a legitimate machine shop can be had by following up with a call to the Better Business Bureau of Central and Northern Alberta, (https://www.bbb.org/edmonton/get-to-know-us/contact-us/).

2) Please call at the end of the day, between 5:00 PM and 5:45 PM Mountain Standard Time. This is the best time to call him as he is winding down for the day.

3) The designated person who contacts Juan Ruiz WILL start a new thread on Liberty CRD...Love that Torque and post his or her findings for everyone to see.

I spent around $20,000.00 CDN developing the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 at the request of MANY Liberty CRD owners over three years ago, only to have about half of them bail on me when the real costs of bringing this product to market were realised. A good portion of them left due to the innuendo, spin and outright lies offered up by LOSTJEEPS members like NavaBavarian, who is not my customer and has not seen the product first hand. I have been digging myself out of a hole ever since, despite having a top notch product that ALL of my customers who did have faith in me say is money well spent. Just putting it out there if people are wondering why I am ripping into NapaBavarian so much.

For the record, the design that NapaBavarian is likely looking for is one another member made that would not even be in existence had this other member not gleaned the hard-earned knowledge I obtained - at cost - in my research to develop the Model 001. LOSTJEEPS.com members should look hard at this and look down the road to unforeseen consequences in future scenarios where an upgrade part like the Liberty CRD thermostat is desperately required. Nobody is going to want to step up and spend the money and time for development of that part, only to have someone else steal the idea and make cheaper versions of the newly developed part and then call it "just as good" as the original.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:29 pm 
LOST Member

I'm not taking sides in this debate...I'm just trying to get the bvllsh!t child play off of this forum so we can go back to what the forum is here for...HELPING PEOPLE.

The reason he wants someone else to do it is because HE HAS NO OBLIGATION TO PROVE ANYTHING TO ANYONE! He can charge what he d@mn well wants for the product that he designed, prototyped and produced in volume for others to buy. Find another company who would offer to ALLOW you to dig into their financial data to show their profit margins. NONE would do it.

For Christ sake, if you don't like Jeff's thermostat, or Jeff, or Tuesdays, or taco's...thats your right but SHUT UP about it! Why does every topic in this forum have to devolve into a pissing match about Jeff and Jim??? Keep your opinion to yourself unless someone asks you about it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:04 pm 

I agree, we should all stay focused on solving problems and issues with the Jeep CRD or helping members that have a problem or problems.
All the drama needs to be put aside and focus on real issues.
But if anyone on this forum is in the business of cheating members out of their hard earned money; they certainly should be exposed fully so others do not befall into a similar trap! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:08 pm 
LOST Addict

WolverineFW wrote:
Hahaha.......it is always someone else's fault isn't it Jeff? You only have yourself and your ego to blame for any lost sales.

I see zero reasons why you should be dragging poor Juan Ruiz into this mess. Why does he deserve that headache?

Just post your company's CRA federal tax returns. Should settle any profit arguments once and for all. You seem so eager to prove your point, but you always want others to do the work.

I make the offer of having a single LOSTJEEPS.com member directly contact the machine shop that carves the housing, hose barb and cap of the Model 001 because it is the best and easiest way for LOSTJEEPS.com members to get accurate numbers on the manufacturing of these parts. They would be getting those costs directly from the source that charges me. And because these three items make up the 80% cost of manufacturing the Model 001, it would not be difficult for anyone - even you WolverineFW - to extrapolate the total cost of production for the Model 001.

Posting my CRA federal tax returns will not accurately reflect this cost, nor will it reflect the total cost of development, which has occurred over a span of three years.

Juan Ruiz has no problems accepting a telephone call from 1 LOSTJEEPS.com member; he agreed to do this over 2 years ago. That is not a lot of time out of his day to end this speculation over the costs to produce the Model 001. If you would have bothered to read my offer, you would realize this. Your suggestion, therefore, is rather lame. I suspect you simply posted your comments to get your digs in.

I have never understood tire kickers like you; you inquire about a product, receive timely information about it, and then do not respond to either e-mail, text messages or telephone calls. I THOUGHT you were interested in the Model 001; after all, YOU contacted ME FIRST. If you were not interested - for whatever reason - have the EFFING courtesy to communicate your disinterest by any of these means.

Don't leave the seller to wonder if you are even getting his or her messages, prompting repeated inquiries from their side over a reasonable amount of time for follow up with you; especially when that person has many thousands in development costs to pay off. That person invariably does not want to waste your time; have the courtesy to not waste theirs.

Above all, just because you did not like your experience with me because you were too short-sighted to respond in any reasonable manner, doesn't give you license to smear me publicly. Just who do you think you are, Wolverine FW; playing armchair Psychologist and summarizing my efforts here as being an ego trip, and then further doing over-the-internet psychoanalysis on Mr. Juan Ruiz and stating that this offer is going to be a headache for him? You have never even met the man!!

I suppose that I should not be surprised at your posting here... you and NapaBavarian are very similar in this regard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 pm 

Dang some of y'all on this forum are extremely tough on Jeff, maybe even a little overboard at times!
Yea I know he can be very defensive of his product and can get a little obnoxious and he tends to go overboard at times, but for Christ's sake please give the man a break, he has invested his time and money to design, engineer, and bring to market a product no one else in the world has provided for a vehicle that was only sold in this country for two years...
Think about that and let it soak in!

If you don't like his thermostat that's fine, no one is forcing anyone to purchase it, but do people have to constantly beat the poor guy up for his product?
And no, I have not purchased one of his thermostats due to the fact I have not needed one so far. So I am a neutral party!

I try my dead level best to help anyone on here who seaks help or advice to the best of my knowledge, but I get very tired of some of the negativity shown by some.
If you cannot say something good or offer helpful advice for a problem, it best to say nothing at all!

I just get tired of people being SO critical of some members on this forum who have only provided products or try their very best to provide helpful and meaningful advice and information for our very unique vehicle.....

IF you cannot provide a better product, why criticise?
:2cents:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount