It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First start in over a year. Doesn't sound right?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

rankom wrote:
hey buddy , did you manage to remove that compression tester tool out from no 1 injector hole ? hope that there is no damage to injector cup .
Not yet... I've had a lot going on... I'll hopefully be getting back to it in a couple of days

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
sbarne3 wrote:
rankom wrote:
did you make any progress ? im not sure if this tool works on our crd , it is MILLER 9011 injector block off tool 24 $ not bad price . it is worth a try , to start capping injectors one at the time , will save you money and time . it is one way to see if fuel rail pressure can increase and may be lucky to get it running and stay running on 3 cylinders , so you will know with cylinder is in fault. so this will skip buying expensive scan tools, commpression tester , and injector testing , so it is only 24 dollar tool .
Thanks... I ended up buying the compression adapter and for some reason can't seem to remove it from #1 cylinder. I can twist it back and forth, but it won't budge vertically. The actual injectors came out easily by hand. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point

Just curious..
Which compression test tool did you buy?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
sbarne3 wrote:
rankom wrote:
did you make any progress ? im not sure if this tool works on our crd , it is MILLER 9011 injector block off tool 24 $ not bad price . it is worth a try , to start capping injectors one at the time , will save you money and time . it is one way to see if fuel rail pressure can increase and may be lucky to get it running and stay running on 3 cylinders , so you will know with cylinder is in fault. so this will skip buying expensive scan tools, commpression tester , and injector testing , so it is only 24 dollar tool .
Thanks... I ended up buying the compression adapter and for some reason can't seem to remove it from #1 cylinder. I can twist it back and forth, but it won't budge vertically. The actual injectors came out easily by hand. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point

Just curious..
Which compression test tool did you buy?

I bought this compression test kit from harbor freight https://www.harborfreight.com/diesel-en ... 62594.html
And the vm.1072 adapter off ebay

It's the adapter that is stuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

ok , pull glow plug # 1 check tip also check injector tip from that cylinder dont want to see any damage in that area

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

rankom wrote:
ok , pull glow plug # 1 check tip also check injector tip from that cylinder dont want to see any damage in that area
Good idea... Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:51 pm 
LOST Addict

http://www.freedomracing.com/compression-test-adapter-vm-1072a.html
Remove the threaded elbow from the top.
https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-hammer-and-puller-set-14-pc-62959.html
Use the fork piece second in from the right.
Fit it in the clamping area below the top boss.
Lightly tap the hammer up to pop the adapter loose.
This method will pull evenly without compressing any part of the aluminum head.

{Edit}
If it is the small diameter "tip" part of the adapter tool (below the compression washer) that bound up, I recommend modifying that part of the adapter before checking any other cylinders. If you modify the head, it will likely cause further problems down the road. If this is the only type of diesel you would use the adapter on, then it won't make any difference to modify it, just prevent future problems with it's use since the compression seal is at the copper washer, not the tip area.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good News: The adapter is out!
Bad News: I found out that the #1 glow plug tip is broken off

So I tried removing the glow plug as suggested by rankom. I was very cautious and it required very little pressure to loosen it and it came out very smoothly so I suspect it was already broken before I removed it.

Anyway, I removed the glowplug, but the adapter still wouldn't budge so I decided to make my own injector tool out of a piece of steel and some bolts and it popped right out.

I looked at the adapter after it was removed and also down into the injector hole, but I couldn't see any obvious damage to either so I'm not sure why it was stuck.

Anyone know an inexpensive way to remove the broken glow plug tip?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Swap the injector connectors... 1 and 2...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hm , you see what happens when taking over job from somebody that does not do it properly , im guessing that exhaust valve was damaged , that explains ,missfire and smoke , in your video posted, in 1st page of this thread . check that tip of injector #1 see if is any damage to it ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

rankom wrote:
Hm , you see what happens when taking over job from somebody that does not do it properly , im guessing that exhaust valve was damaged , that explains ,missfire and smoke , in your video posted, in 1st page of this thread . check that tip of injector #1 see if is any damage to it ?
There is no visible damage to any of the injectors. I was able to finish the compression testing in all 4 cylinders and they all measured right around 210 so that's good.

I also think I figured out where most if not all the smoke is coming from. I found a gap between the turbo and the exhaust pipe. It wasn't seated properly.

I think my next step is injector testing and cleaning

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 am 
LOST Addict

sbarne3 wrote:
I was able to finish the compression testing in all 4 cylinders and they all measured right around 210 so that's good.
Yes it is.
I also think I figured out where most if not all the smoke is coming from. I found a gap between the turbo and the exhaust pipe. It wasn't seated properly.
:!: :shock: :?: :shock: THAT........ is entirely a new one on me. However it's good another way as well, as it explains the metallic 'clank' that was happening when you shut the engine down. :P It's often those things we take for granted that make troubleshooting such a pain! :banghead:
I think my next step is injector testing and cleaning.
Would be a good direction. Again, make sure you put a wire-held tag on each one so they can go back in the correct hole.
IF you have to replace any, make note of the number that is on the top of the injector for each cylinder it goes in. Technically it won't prevent it from running, just prevent the ECM from being able to fine tune the fuel delivery. Could make a difference in smoothness as well as mileage. If this happens, contact GDE to have the proper injector ID numbers programmed into the ECM.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

well , i like to know where is that GP tip did it broke off a long time ago ? or is it just broken now? again reading your story about that guy that started this job and got arrested in the middle of the head gasket procedure , is still in jail or is out , i would ask him why didn't he replace glow plugs while if was in there and did he send cylinder head out for inspection ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm 
LOST Addict

I would definitely use a piece of welding rod, smaller diameter than the tip of the glow plug, and see if the glow plug tip is still stuck in place. vs if it fell into the engine.

If it's still there, that's good. There are things to try that could get it to come out the glow plug passage. DO NOT push the tip on into the combustion chamber if you can avoid it.

If it's gone, and the tip passage is clear, then there's been ceramic damage, could be piston, head, valves or even turbo if it went out the exhaust.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

rankom wrote:
well , i like to know where is that GP tip did it broke off a long time ago ? or is it just broken now? again reading your story about that guy that started this job and got arrested in the middle of the head gasket procedure , is still in jail or is out , i would ask him why didn't he replace glow plugs while if was in there and did he send cylinder head out for inspection ?

I'm pretty sure it was already broken because of how smooth and easy it came out. If it broke while I was removing it I should have heard or felt something snap, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I would definitely use a piece of welding rod, smaller diameter than the tip of the glow plug, and see if the glow plug tip is still stuck in place. vs if it fell into the engine.

If it's still there, that's good. There are things to try that could get it to come out the glow plug passage. DO NOT push the tip on into the combustion chamber if you can avoid it.

If it's gone, and the tip passage is clear, then there's been ceramic damage, could be piston, head, valves or even turbo if it went out the exhaust.

The turbo actually is a possibility. It appears that they purchased a new or rebuilt one since I have the old one too and it looks pretty messed up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:59 pm 
LOST Addict

If the pieces went through the turbo, then they will be plastered up against the front of the honeycomb media in the front of the Catalytic Converter.

If you cut the exhaust in front of the catalytic converter, and behind the muffler, and replace it with a test pipe, you will no longer have that restriction to deal with.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 pm 
LOST Member

sbarne3 wrote:
I was able to finish the compression testing in all 4 cylinders and they all measured right around 210 so that's good.
That's good news! I still wonder why it had that weird "skip" when cranking...

sbarne3 wrote:
That explains why it was so smoky in the engine bay, but not why it was smoking so much in the first place (and idling rough). White smoke = unburnt fuel (or burning coolant, but I suspect it's not that). But I agree, injector testing sounds like a good next step.