It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with air bag light after power seat install (solved)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:20 pm 
LOST Member

I read everything i could find on swapping "limited" power seats in a 2005 sport. The seats i got were from a 2006 limited.

I tried swapping the original bladder/sensor pair and module into the new passenger side seat. no joy. nothing i have done has gotten rid of the Air Bag alert. So i put the original seats back together and the air bag light is still on.

not sure what to do now. Any ideas?

Last edited by minnisp on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Help with air bag light after attempted power seat insta
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:57 pm 
LOST Addict

When I swapped 2010 KK seats into mine I had the same problem.
I figured out that I would have to swap all the seat sensor stuff to the new seat.
I even tested all the parts, connected on the jeep floor, to verify proper function.
But when I put the parts in the seat, installed the seat, and connected everything up, the air bag light was on and dinging. Nothing I tried would make it stop.
So I just pulled the air bag fuses out which made the dinging stop.
I've lived like that ever since.

Only thing I can figure out is that the under seat module must have gotten damaged during the install but I haven't made any more attempts to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:00 pm 
LOST Member

i read that the "occupancy classification module" under the seat may have to load its calibration from some other Control Module within 1 minute after turning the ignition key to on. If the "occupancy classification module" doesn't download it's calibration in time, it will time out, and get a fault. that fault is permanent, and a new occupancy classification module would be required to fix it.

I'm not sure if this is what happened to mine or not. I'm going to put the nice leather seats back in and keep working on it. no sense in having those awful cloth seats AND the air bag alert.

It's making it worse that i pulled out a viper alarm system right before i started testing my seats. The huge octopus-mess of wires, controllers, relays were installed all over the steering wheel area where i was trying to connect the power seats. Whoever installed that garbage was on crack.

did i screw up the wiring by removing the alarm? I was careful but changing too many things at once is not good. The stupid alarm was tapped into the PCM bus, the same white/violet wire that the seat sensor uses. in hindsight, i should have left that alone but it's too late now.

i'm going to keep tracing it until i figure it out.

thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Leave it, put it back in ...if I remember correctly when I did mine ... I needed to allow the computer to read sensor again... had to drive it for many miles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:25 am 
LOST Member

"The OCM microprocessor continuously monitors all of the OCS electrical circuits and components to determine the
system readiness. If the OCM detects a monitored system fault, it sets an active and stored Diagnostic Trouble
Code (DTC) and sends the appropriate electronic messages to the ACM over the PCI data bus. Then the ACM sets
a DTC and sends messages to control the airbag indicator operation accordingly. An active fault only remains for
the duration of the fault, or in some cases for the duration of the current ignition switch cycle, while a stored fault
causes a DTC to be stored in memory by the OCM and the ACM. For some DTCs, if a fault does not recur for a
number of ignition cycles, the OCM will automatically erase the stored DTC.
For other internal faults, the stored
DTC is latched forever"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:34 am 
LOST Member

So here's what i found out about using 2006 power seats in a 2005 sport:

1. the wiring harnesses on the 2006 power seats need to be modified

NOTE: You have to remember to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 2 minutes BEFORE PLUGGING OR UNPLUGGING COMPONENTS IN THE AIR BAG/SEAT BELT SYSTEM

mod1: on the driver's seat (LH), the seat belt receiver wire connector pins need to be swapped at the plug. First i thought it was maybe an incompatibility in the hall sensor on the seatbelt receiver on the right side of the seat, so i put the 2005 seat belt receiver on the drivers seat. IT STILL DIDN'T WORK! Buckle the seat belt, and DING, F'ING DING! So i swapped the pins and voila! This mod fixed the seat belt alerts on the drivers side

mod2: the seat belt tensioner sensor wiring on the passenger seat isn't right either. In this case because the seat belt tensioner sensor wires go into the inputs of the Occupant Classification Module (OCM) and there are 3 wires coming from the seat belt tensioner (not a simple 2 pin swap ), I couldn't do the same fix on the passenger side. In addition, swapping pins from wires leading to the OCM is risky you could short something and cause a detonation. It's not like the drivers side which is just "buckled" or "unbuckled". I connected the old 2005 OCM harness directly to the OCM, and plugged in the 2005 connector to the seat belt tensioner as a test, and no seat belt alert and no air bag alert. So I split the 2006 seat harness and used the 2005 OCM harness and seat belt tensioner connector. This required removing all of the tape and wrapping, and pulling the 2006 OCS harness pins out of the main connector, and installing the 2005 OCM harness pins in the connector (in the same exact place: pin#1-wh/vt, pin#3-bk, pin#6-pk/or on the main plug).

NOTE: i left the bladder and sensor from the 2006 seat and used it as is (foam, bladder, and sensor should stay as a unit, but i used the OCM from the 2005. The reason i did this is because the 2006 OCM, even though its the same part, is likely to be running different firmware, and may not be compatible with the 2005 restraint system. This is a guess, but where there are so many factors you pick the safe bet.

I now have no alerts, and completely functioning power/leather seats.

BE CAREFUL!

There is one oddity though. The empty seat doesn't disable the airbag like it should. According to FSM, 2005 OCM is expecting to be able to use it's calibration from the old seat. The OCM is now attached to the new seat, and i think it needs to be recalibrated to work properly. I will look into this more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

minnisp wrote:
So here's what i found out about using 2006 power seats in a 2005 sport:

1. the wiring harnesses on the 2006 power seats need to be modified

NOTE: You have to remember to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 2 minutes BEFORE PLUGGING OR UNPLUGGING COMPONENTS IN THE AIR BAG/SEAT BELT SYSTEM

mod1: on the driver's seat (LH), the seat belt receiver wire connector pins need to be swapped at the plug. First i thought it was maybe an incompatibility in the hall sensor on the seatbelt receiver on the right side of the seat, so i put the 2005 seat belt receiver on the drivers seat. IT STILL DIDN'T WORK! Buckle the seat belt, and DING, F'ING DING! So i swapped the pins and voila! This mod fixed the seat belt alerts on the drivers side

mod2: the seat belt tensioner sensor wiring on the passenger seat isn't right either. In this case because the seat belt tensioner sensor wires go into the inputs of the Occupant Classification Module (OCM) and there are 3 wires coming from the seat belt tensioner (not a simple 2 pin swap ), I couldn't do the same fix on the passenger side. In addition, swapping pins from wires leading to the OCM is risky you could short something and cause a detonation. It's not like the drivers side which is just "buckled" or "unbuckled". I connected the old 2005 OCM harness directly to the OCM, and plugged in the 2005 connector to the seat belt tensioner as a test, and no seat belt alert and no air bag alert. So I split the 2006 seat harness and used the 2005 OCM harness and seat belt tensioner connector. This required removing all of the tape and wrapping, and pulling the 2006 OCS harness pins out of the main connector, and installing the 2005 OCM harness pins in the connector (in the same exact place: pin#1-wh/vt, pin#3-bk, pin#6-pk/or on the main plug).

NOTE: i left the bladder and sensor from the 2006 seat and used it as is (foam, bladder, and sensor should stay as a unit, but i used the OCM from the 2005. The reason i did this is because the 2006 OCM, even though its the same part, is likely to be running different firmware, and may not be compatible with the 2005 restraint system. This is a guess, but where there are so many factors you pick the safe bet.

I now have no alerts, and completely functioning power/leather seats.

BE CAREFUL!

There is one oddity though. The empty seat doesn't disable the airbag like it should. According to FSM, 2005 OCM is expecting to be able to use it's calibration from the old seat. The OCM is now attached to the new seat, and i think it needs to be recalibrated to work properly. I will look into this more.

There is a calibration procedure and wieghts that are needed for calibration of the sensor......This can be accomplished with a DRBIII or dealer visit.

If you cannot find the info online I have it saved somewhere what the different weights are....but you still need a drbiii to do this.

Post subject: Re: Help with air bag light after power seat install (solved
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 am 
LOST Member

i read about the procedure somewhere, it's like 66 lbs, and then another heavier increment. Is the drbIII tool something a good automotive shop would have? i worry that a dealer will complain about the seat swap (tampering) and refuse to do it. Has anyone tried to have the swapped seats calibrated at a dealer?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

minnisp wrote:
i read about the procedure somewhere, it's like 66 lbs, and then another heavier increment. Is the drbIII tool something a good automotive shop would have? i worry that a dealer will complain about the seat swap (tampering) and refuse to do it. Has anyone tried to have the swapped seats calibrated at a dealer?

Other people have replaced seats and paid a dealer to recal the pass seat. Some independent shops might have a DRBIII but its an older tool so it harder to find a shop that will have one. Dealers should still have it around though, you need it to do all sorts of programming and configuration things on older Chryslers.

If you were closer I'd do it for the cost of a 6 pack, heck a year ago I was working weeks at a time in NOLA and I could have brought it with me, only a year timing error!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 pm 
LOST Member

Diesel injector shop mechanic said there was a guy in Slidell that worked on jeep liberty CRDs .. was that you? He left some slag on my injectors i wasn't all that happy about his work. Anyway, if you're in the area again give me a heads up. I'd pay you better than a six pack to keep my money away from the dealer. Plenty of dealers here, just no CRD mechanics (drunk or sober) :dizzy:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Nope not me, I was working do south of the airport on the south side of the river at a refinery.

Also, dealers don't need to have a DRBIII the newer witech emulates the DRBIII, which they should have.

Now if they know how to use it...who knows, I've programmed things with my DRBIII that dealers couldn't figure out how to(like turn on cruise control).