It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need timing belt tensioner bolt size
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All...

Does anyone know the specs on the timing belt tensioner bolt?

I know the part number is 5015031AB, but I can't find any specs on it in the SM, parts fiche, or online

I need to know what size helicoil to buy for it.

Post subject: Re: Need timing belt tensioner bolt size
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't know but email Corey (cevans on this forum) at idParts and he can tell you as they stock it. FYI on the several CRDs I'm familiar with there already is a a helicoil in that hole.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Don't know but email Corey (cevans on this forum) at idParts and he can tell you as they stock it.

Thanks... I'll give that a shot

papaindigo wrote:
FYI on the several CRDs I'm familiar with there already is a a helicoil in that hole.

Yes... that was the case with mine as well, but the helicoil pulled out so I'm probably going to try a bigsert. Anyone familiar with those? http://www.timesert.com/html/bigsert.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did it:
1. just come out such that the threads in the aluminum front engine cover it screws into are intact or
2. did it "pull" out and strip those threads?

If it just came out so that it and the threads are intact just screw it back in and finish the job; worked fine for me (you might consider a bit of Loctite blue, NOT RED, when you screw it back in and if so let that set before installing the tensioner bolt). But if it "pulled" out and the treads are stripped you will need to look at other alternatives which will likely involve pulling the cover.

FYI while I don't have the information saved in my tech tips (http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/) there are at least a couple of LOST forum examples of the installation of a nut IIRC correctly on the engine side of that engine cover to replace the helicoil.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Did it:
1. just come out such that the threads in the aluminum front engine cover it screws into are intact or
2. did it "pull" out and strip those threads?

If it just came out so that it and the threads are intact just screw it back in and finish the job; worked fine for me (you might consider a bit of Loctite blue, NOT RED, when you screw it back in and if so let that set before installing the tensioner bolt). But if it "pulled" out and the treads are stripped you will need to look at other alternatives which will likely involve pulling the cover.

FYI while I don't have the information saved in my tech tips (http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/) there are at least a couple of LOST forum examples of the installation of a nut IIRC correctly on the engine side of that engine cover to replace the helicoil.

My torque wrench malfunctioned and I overtightened the bolt. It pulled the entire helicoil out along with the aluminum threads in the front engine cover.

I did figure out what size to get though. I went to Home Depot and tried the bolt against some different sized nuts and it turns out that the size is M8x1.25

So this bigsert should work. More than I wanted to spend, but better than a new block.