It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil light on intermittently
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am 
LOST Member

Well the first issue has just started. Wife told me over the weekend that the oil light would come on periodically when slowing for a light or turn. Not always and not frequently. No noises, vibrations or problems. Checked oil level & it is fine. Just changed oil about a 1000miles ago. No changes in program, Mobil 5W40 TDT and Bosch filter. Need to take it in to see if oil sensor is shot or oil pump is going.

Post subject: Re: Oil light on intermittently
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No need to take it in as the problem is almost certainly the oil pressure sensor down by the oil filter (it's obvious); oil pumps almost never fail and would be a bear to get at as in pulling the engine difficult. Just replace the sensor (oil pressure 56028807AB - alternative Standard Motor Products PS317 - stay away from the Crown one) which is under $50 at Amazon. To swap - undo electrical plug (likely have to lift a tab to unlock); using appropriate size wrench unscrew sending unit; screw new sender in and lightly tighten it with wrench (I don't know but suspect it has a tapered NTP thread; if so you may have to "crank" it down a bit but not too hard to seal); hook electrical plug back up. You should not lose a significant amount of oil while doing this if you are brisk with the swap.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:32 pm 

Just to add to what Pap suggested!
Put some teflon tape on the pipe threads, that insures no leakage.... :wink:
And he is correct, mine started blinking a couple years back and I replaced the sending unit and it never was a problem again... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:09 am 
LOST Junkie

Before going expensive, change the oil filter. I once had same issues after a oil change. Changed the oil filter and never came back. That was 100+k ago. I assume the filter was bad, the crd oil filter needs to hold pressure.if that doesn't work, look at what others mentioned.