It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suspension and engine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, I am going to Colorado from Mississippi about 1300 miles one way. The Liberty is at 151k miles. Engine purrs like a kitten as much as a diesel purrs. The front ball joints are shot so I'll have to replace those. All suspension components are original and I want to go through and replace the rear shocks, front struts and anything else that is worn or may fail. I'm at stock ride height and plan to keep it that way. I'm also concerned about the engine if you there is any preventive maintenance that should be done like rocker arms or such. I need advice on suspension parts manufacturers. Thanks.

In tank harness/fuel pump
Airtex rear bag, Fujimoto valve
Upgraded lifters, exhaust valves, fuel head
Florida torque converter, ID trans pump
Transgo shift kit, GM fan
2 micron filter, Bilstein shocks
Viscous heater delete

Post subject: Re: Suspension and engine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:36 am 
LOST Addict

Front lower ball joints: Moog K80767
Front upper ball joints: Moog CK3198
(I used Mevotech CMK3198 because they are greasable. But you will have to change the grease fitting for a right angle piece)
Front shocks: Bilstein 24139168 is the best. Gabriel G51728 is good too.
Rear shocks: just about anything from your local auto parts store is good for a stock suspension.

For the engine:
Check all fluids.
Check all hoses. Especially the CAC hoses. Maybe even bring spare CAC hoses with you.
Replace any leaking hose clamps.
Change fuel filter. Or if you haven't already, get the updated fuel filter assembly.
Have a spare fuel filter with you along with tools to change it.
Change air filter.
Replace serpentine belt tensioner.
You can also preemptively change out your crank sensor, or just have a spare one with you.

If you want to go ahead and replace all the rocker arms, thats fine too. But its a big job and just plan on replacing the timing belt and all the pulleys too.
And while you are in there, do the EGR delete too.

Oh, and dont forget about the transmission, transfer case, and axle fluid/filter/oils.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I wouldnt do rocker arms just for the hell of doing them. If you were gunna go in and do the timing belt then I would definitely think about it since you are 3/4 the way there. I did mine at 93k miles when I did my belt and they were totally fine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought the Jeep with 90k miles. The previous owner was meticulous with maintenance. I changed the timing belt at 103k miles and completed some upgrades including the egr delete through Sasquatch. I need to consider what upgrades to complete at 200k timing belt change if I make it that far before something breaks. That's why I was asking for advice here. The forum has been a tremendous help in keeping my Liberty running well and I want to keep my Liberty performing well. I'm thinking that ARP studs, Cummings lift pump, ECO tune would be a good investment in the Liberty. I'm open to advice from the experts here. With the insane cost of new vehicles I think investing in such a capable and fun vehicle like my Liberty is a no brainer.

In tank harness/fuel pump
Airtex rear bag, Fujimoto valve
Upgraded lifters, exhaust valves, fuel head
Florida torque converter, ID trans pump
Transgo shift kit, GM fan
2 micron filter, Bilstein shocks
Viscous heater delete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:21 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Here's my take on it.

CRD guide, (short version)

Standard necessities (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best)
2) Provent (or similar as long as it works)
3) Weeks kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade
4) ARP Studs
5) Silicone CAC hoses

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / dif locks if needed / wanted.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set