It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 crd abs computer issue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

so a few months ago I fried my brakes towing a trailer down a mountain and my abs light came on. figured I fried a wheel sensor. ive since changed all 3 abs sensors with no avail. my odometer quit working when the issue first started also. from what ive been able to find online people are saying its the abs controller (the one mounted under the rear seat. my problem is that I cant find any info on the controller. is it year specific? is it coded to the vehicle? where can I get one rebuilt? ive been to several sites and nobody ive found can repair them. I have an 05 crd. anyone who has experienced this or has any intel it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Post subject: Re: 05 crd abs computer issue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
LOST Member

biggreenjeep,
there is no "controller" under the rear seat. The signal from wheel speed sensor on top of the rear differential is also used for the odometer. The ABS controller is in the engine bay under the brake power boost. There is a "connector" under the rear seat and the wiring between this connector at the differential mounted wheel speed sensor is notorious for failing. Check the wiring for continuity and most likely you will find the problem.

"Frying" your brakes should not have generated an ABS fault light. I think that is just coincidence that they happen at the same time.

I am going through the same ABS light/odometer problem, and after three sensors, a new wheel speed sensor connector, and redoing (soldering previously compression splices) four set of splices in the wiring I have yet to solve the issue. My next step is to remove the left side rear seat and check the wiring for continuity inside the car between the floor seal plug and the connector. Otherwise I will be looking for crud in the tone wheel inside the differential housing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

well doo doo....this doesn't sound like much fun. gotta do what I gotta do tho I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:21 am 
LOST Member

biggreenjeep wrote:
well doo doo....this doesn't sound like much fun. gotta do what I gotta do tho I guess.

Lots of problems with guys replacing sensors with a cheap brand or not fitting them properly or damaging the wires/connectors.

On the 2005 the sensor on top of the diff is also used for ABS and usually for the speedometer...not sure about the 2005!

The odometer reading I think gets worked out by the three wheel sensors.

Best to download the 2005 KJ Service Manual here.....will give you the theory on how the ABS works and also has the wiring diagrams.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Just as a matter of interest there was a TSB issued by Chrysler for every 2005 KJ that the wrong oil may have been filled into the rear diff at the factory. This wrong oil eats up the sensor on the diff. The fix was to have the Dealers drain and clean out the rear diff and fill with the correct oil and replace the sensor on the rear diff.

I will have a look for this TSB....I have it somewhere on one of the KJ sites but this could take a while. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Me too… had an intermittent error with the abs sensor on the rear (my codes say both sensors are bad) only found one and replaced it with a ?cheap? Sensor from RockAuto and the problem went from bad to worse and my odometer quit -and weirdly my outside temp is no longer accurate - so I’ll be checking my wiring as suggested and watching for updates on this thread.

Just tying to keep it on the road

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

This thread is four years old... there probably won't be more updates. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 pm 
LOST Member

SmashOgre wrote:
Me too… had an intermittent error with the abs sensor on the rear (my codes say both sensors are bad) only found one and replaced it with a ?cheap? Sensor from RockAuto and the problem went from bad to worse and my odometer quit -and weirdly my outside temp is no longer accurate - so I’ll be checking my wiring as suggested and watching for updates on this thread.

Check wiring and pigtail, use a OEM wheel speed sensor.

Also make sure the area where the sensor contact the diff housing is clean with no rust.

make sure the sensor goes all the way flat against the mating area.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:43 pm 
LOST Member

I'm having same issue. I would hit a bump and the ABS light come on. Cycle key and gone. I hooked up a Fox..something scanner for my bmw which I bought Chrysler package for and I was able to see two front wheel speed sensors but the rear were dead. Take those readings with a grain of salt from the Chinese scan tool.

Now..ABS light is fixed on, no speed readings, and my temp sensor is inaccurate. And the odometer doesn't tick up. Very interesting, they must have a common power supply or ground to interfere with the temp sensor! Not sure if its wiring or sensor yet.

Edit: The FSM shows two rear wheel speed sensors, maybe that's on a 2006. WRONG, mine only has the diffy and no wires going to rear wheels. At least the driver side rear where I was crawled under.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:44 pm 

The 05 models indeed does only have ONE rear speed sensor on top of the rear differential and several LOST members have reported of finding a broken wire at the connector.
The odometer is triggered by the rear differential speed sensor.
Repair kits are available for the wire connector at:> http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm ... 09DCEC03D2
or Google: Full Repair Kit: 05013995AA :google:

06 models have a whole different ABS system and they have a speed sensor at EACH wheel.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

Wow, thanks for info! In my case wiring was OK and was just the sensor. All cleared once I installed new Oreily sensor and the temp seems to be working right now. Crazy how that's RELATED.

Thx!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/st ... nsor&pos=8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:17 pm 

jagster936 wrote:
I'm having same issue. I would hit a bump and the ABS light come on. Cycle key and gone. I hooked up a Fox..something scanner for my bmw which I bought Chrysler package for and I was able to see two front wheel speed sensors but the rear were dead. Take those readings with a grain of salt from the Chinese scan tool.
Now..ABS light is fixed on, no speed readings, and my temp sensor is inaccurate. And the odometer doesn't tick up. Very interesting, they must have a common power supply or ground to interfere with the temp sensor! Not sure if its wiring or sensor yet.
Edit: The FSM shows two rear wheel speed sensors, maybe that's on a 2006. WRONG, mine only has the diffy and no wires going to rear wheels. At least the driver side rear where I was crawled under.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, the coolant temperature has NO common connections between it and the ABS parts.
The coolant temperature sensor is hard wired directly to the ECM and does not go through the Front Control Module.
I would check the wiring and connector closely for any problems.
Your issue may have strictly been coincidental.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:49 pm 
LOST Member

Not coolant! Outside air ambient temp. Others on this forum have also mentioned correlation. Crazy