It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone reduced their CRD lift?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Right now I am running the OME 790's, JBA top plate, and 1/4" clevis spacer and I have been on the fence about lowering it down a bit for a while. I feel like I have very little droop left in the suspension as I am able to make some kind of contact(not sure if its coil contact or UCA pockets) even just hitting a pot hole on the street. I also just found out my JBA UCA ball joints are dead after 2 years and maybe 30k miles. I am going into to swap the joints with the JBA HD ones so I figured I could work on the lift too.

Has anyone dropped it back down by removing the top plates and clevis spacer and are the results better? Does the ride soften at all?

Post subject: Re: Has anyone reduced their CRD lift?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:05 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Right now I am running the OME 790's, JBA top plate, and 1/4" clevis spacer and I have been on the fence about lowering it down a bit for a while. I feel like I have very little droop left in the suspension as I am able to make some kind of contact(not sure if its coil contact or UCA pockets) even just hitting a pot hole on the street. I also just found out my JBA UCA ball joints are dead after 2 years and maybe 30k miles. I am going into to swap the joints with the JBA HD ones so I figured I could work on the lift too.

Has anyone dropped it back down by removing the top plates and clevis spacer and are the results better? Does the ride soften at all?

That a Great Question,..first let me tell you i just change every thing out new bearings, ball joints etc,.id advise insisting on moog or better,..i went with drive works just to make a trip and suffered catastrophic failure which was very expensive to repair,..as for the drop kit i have never tried one but my self because i never truly offload my CRD i do log a lot of miles on the road,.and i do wonder if it would improve or upgrade my highway performance,..let me know if you can how it works out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:10 pm 
LOST Addict

highironcrd wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

That a Great Question,..first let me tell you i just change every thing out new bearings, ball joints etc,.id advise insisting on moog or better,..i went with drive works just to make a trip and suffered catastrophic failure which was very expensive to repair,..as for the drop kit i have never tried one but my self because i never truly offload my CRD i do log a lot of miles on the road,.and i do wonder if it would improve or upgrade my highway performance,..let me know if you can how it works out.

Sorry I didnt mean lowering it below stock, just lowering it below its current lift. Supposedly the OME lift is 2-2.5" and then I think I have another 1.25-1.5" with the spacers. I am thinking of removing one or both spacers.

I am also thinking of doing my bearings while I am in there. I snapped the abs sensors off at the hub body when I put the lift on and they kinda work but a big bump will cause them to lose connection and my ABS light come on. I just went to carquest and it was $450 for left and right bearings and sensors!?

EDIT: Amazon had one Moog hub for $153 + 10% off and then the other for $117 so I was able to get em for $260 all in. I feel much better about that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Before removing any spacers, jack up both front wheels to get the front the suspension at full droop.
Check the clearance in the UCA pockets.
Check the sway bar bushings.
Check everything that might make a clunk sound when going over bumps.

Personally, I suspect the clunk you hear is coming from your UCA bolts/bushings. If you dont get those bolts super tight, you will get a clunk sound.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 pm 

I don't have any top plate spacers, but I do have 1/2" clevis spaces along with Ironman springs and Bilstein shocks. Height, Ride and handling is super, personally I would not change anything on mine... :wink:
Maybe remove either the clevis spacers or the top plate spacers and see how it rides and handles without one or the other....whichever is easier to remove! :|

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:41 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Before removing any spacers, jack up both front wheels to get the front the suspension at full droop.
Check the clearance in the UCA pockets.
Check the sway bar bushings.
Check everything that might make a clunk sound when going over bumps.

Personally, I suspect the clunk you hear is coming from your UCA bolts/bushings. If you dont get those bolts super tight, you will get a clunk sound.

Will do. I am inclined to believe its the UCA hitting the spring as I already trimmed the UCA pockets when I did the lift. I dont always get a clunk, its only when I hit dips or holes in the road where the suspension extends. Bumps are totally fine. I do have JBA's quick discos coming in for the sway bar since the front end might as well not have a suspension while the sway bar is connected so that will eliminate the end links. Sway bar Bushings seem ok.

Edit. It seems to be both. When I lift the front end the UCA's are touching both coils, although more on the drivers side. They are also contacting the UCA pockets. Ill trim the pockets more when I do the ball joints so I can tie the UCA's up out of the way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:38 pm 
LOST Addict

The UCA is hitting the spring?
For some reason I thought Al's arms would prevent that.
You don't need to reduce your lift, you need straps to limit downward travel ;)

Or to put another way, if you hadn't cut the UCA pockets they would not be hitting the springs.

How does the drivers side CV axle look? With too much lift the bottom of the shock mount will cut into the boot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I ran mine with no clevis and no top plate, it's great, but I still need some jba arms as the boots on both UCA's are destroyed from the angle. Whoever said you can run stock uca's with the ome lift was wrong. I guess you can but the ball joint boots won't last 10k. When I bought my jeep it had the clevis and top plate, and handled poorly, but it also had OEM shocks. I added ome shocks, removed the extra lift, and it rides much better. But, I wish they didn't say that the OEM uca's work, as I now have to tear it apart and add jba arms :cry:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:

Will do. I am inclined to believe its the UCA hitting the spring as I already trimmed the UCA pockets when I did the lift. I dont always get a clunk, its only when I hit dips or holes in the road where the suspension extends. Bumps are totally fine. I do have JBA's quick discos coming in for the sway bar since the front end might as well not have a suspension while the sway bar is connected so that will eliminate the end links. Sway bar Bushings seem ok.

Edit. It seems to be both. When I lift the front end the UCA's are touching both coils, although more on the drivers side. They are also contacting the UCA pockets. Ill trim the pockets more when I do the ball joints so I can tie the UCA's up out of the way.

You should not have cut the UCA pockets,the UCA's would have made there own "stops" without damaging them and no spring contact.

If your complaining about noises what till you install the disco's on the front,nothing but noises after about a week and nothing will ever make them stop until you go back to the OE links.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

You should not have cut the UCA pockets,the UCA's would have made there own "stops" without damaging them and no spring contact.

If your complaining about noises what till you install the disco's on the front,nothing but noises after about a week and nothing will ever make them stop until you go back to the OE links.

To late now. Still dont like how far it droops so I will probably remove at least one of the spacers. It shouldnt be bouncing off the pockets of coils on the street.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:03 pm 
LOST Addict

I did the hubs, upper ball joints, JBA quick discos, and removed the .25" clevis spacer while I was in there.

So far so good. The ride seems smoother and less harsh over bumps. With the front tires lifted off the ground the UCAs are now just shy of both the coil and pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
The UCA is hitting the spring?
For some reason I thought Al's arms would prevent that.
You don't need to reduce your lift, you need straps to limit downward travel ;)

Or to put another way, if you hadn't cut the UCA pockets they would not be hitting the springs.

How does the drivers side CV axle look? With too much lift the bottom of the shock mount will cut into the boot.

JBA UCAs do not prevent hitting when pushed too high

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
I did the hubs, upper ball joints, JBA quick discos, and removed the .25" clevis spacer while I was in there.

So far so good. The ride seems smoother and less harsh over bumps. With the front tires lifted off the ground the UCAs are now just shy of both the coil and pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done over 45 gasser and 3 CRDs
You can push the limits of the gassers just a bit more
But on the CRDs I always tell the customer to stick to 3 inches
OME 790s/ top plate and OME shocks work great in front and none have had any issues

As far as the pockets I used to cut them all out.
now just bend over the metal to form sort of a bed for the UCA to lay in when fully flexed on both gassers and CRDs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:34 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

To late now. Still dont like how far it droops so I will probably remove at least one of the spacers. It shouldnt be bouncing off the pockets of coils on the street.

Pushed as high as you had it yes it will hit ( spring/UCAs )