It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No cabin air filter in liberty?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm 
LOST Member

I don’t see any filter for cabin in our Jeeps. Could this be? Terrible oversight.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

Post subject: Re: No cabin air filter in liberty?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:26 pm 

There's a mesh crud trap that sits under the front valance, which is about as close as it gets to a cabin air filter on the KJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkTBXxJu13A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmI-5mfYrsw

It's worth cleaning out if you haven't already; the amount of crud that ends up in there can be surprising. And agreed that there really should have been an actual cabin filter in there.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 pm 
LOST Member

Dang even my Suzuki had a pollen filter. I’m currently surrounded by fires and the air quality is dangerous out there. My buddies Tesla has “biological warfare mode” which claims to filter 99.97% and he said it works excellently for this choking smoke.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:03 pm 
LOST Member

Looks like it wouldn’t be too hard to make that course screen into a much finer filter. Just get a HEPA HVAC filter and cut it down to fit. It’s a bit of a job getting to it, but at lease you don’t have to crawl under the dash like you do to get to some cabin air filters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:38 pm 

graycenphil wrote:
Looks like it wouldn’t be too hard to make that course screen into a much finer filter. Just get a HEPA HVAC filter and cut it down to fit. It’s a bit of a job getting to it, but at lease you don’t have to crawl under the dash like you do to get to some cabin air filters.

The downside to putting a filter in there is that it'll get soaked over time. I looked into doing this a couple of years ago, and came to the conclusion that all it would really end up being was a pleated petri dish for mould.

And yep, absolutely agreed on the acrobatics needed to R&R them in most cars. That said, having the filter on the cabin side makes sense from the standpoint of keeping the bigger (and damper) chunks out of it.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:26 am 
LOST Junkie

casm wrote:
The downside to putting a filter in there is that it'll get soaked over time. I looked into doing this a couple of years ago, and came to the conclusion that all it would really end up being was a pleated petri dish for mould.

And yep, absolutely agreed on the acrobatics needed to R&R them in most cars. That said, having the filter on the cabin side makes sense from the standpoint of keeping the bigger (and damper) chunks out of it.

& getting back to Jett's issue, In smoky conditions it would only take a short time (minutes) to fill the filter with smoke particles.
A clagged up filter is a great environment to grow nasty stuff like mold. If its warm & moist maybe even legionnaire bugs. I suspect the main reason for cabin filters is cosmetic. keeps the dust out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:35 am 
LOST Member

Good points. I wonder how long that Tesla filter lasts in the smoky environment? And how much a new one costs.

Since we are all supposed to wear masks all the time anyway, I suppose the best solution might just be to wear it in the car too. Kind of joking, but anytime the air is really smoky, it might not be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:43 pm 
LOST Member

graycenphil wrote:
Good points. I wonder how long that Tesla filter lasts in the smoky environment? And how much a new one costs.

Since we are all supposed to wear masks all the time anyway, I suppose the best solution might just be to wear it in the car too. Kind of joking, but anytime the air is really smoky, it might not be a bad idea.

And that’s what I found myself doing today. I have a good quality p100 welding mask and it cuts a lot of smoke out, but not all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

In Victoria Australia at the moment face coverings (masks etc) are mandatory as we are under a state of emergency. Any where outside your home in public. Not required in a car unless you have others in the car that are not from your home. Masks have become expensive & most that you can find are made in Wuhan China! I just put on a bandana. The surgical masks they recommend dont filter out smoke. The virus can get at you via your eyes. The rural area where I am has had no recorded cases, unlike the dirty capital Melbourne. I think a welding mask would do a better job than a surgical mask.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:19 am 
LOST Member

Yeah here in South Africa masks are mandatory if you go outside or in shops, Malls etc.
Not needed in vehicles if by yourself our with close family.

This was implemented months ago and fines can be imposed for not wearing one but lots of people go around with their noses exposed or the mask hanging down!

I personally wear my mask while driving....a bit paranoid that the virus could get sucked into the cabin via the air vents....I have some co-morbidities that compromise my system! :cry:

Years ago a Greek member on Lost posted pictures of a neat plastic cover with filter that fitted over the existing grid letting air into the cabin...would be possible to make one up I suppose.

I think what needs to be done as well is not let the air build up inside the cabin so the air needs a clean exit point. Behind the Glovebox is a mesh that gets gunged up by dirt etc. and needs a good brush and vacuum every now and then! :wink: