It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ETECNO 7V Glow Plug
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

Have any of the members knowledge and/or experience of the ETECNO 7V Glow plugs?
I just got my first encounter with the glow plugs, actually cylinder #1 glow plug, after 202K miles, and I like to make an informed decision on what to do.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: ETECNO 7V Glow Plug
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Do you still have the stock ceramics? If so - GET THEM OUT NOW! Those have been known to trash entire motors when they code out, the ceramic mushrooms and breaks off into abrasive little shards that bounce around in the cylinder and cause mayhem.

As far as replacements, people have been generally displeased with the 7v Etecno plugs, better results have been reported from running the 5v metal plugs on the 7v program - and buying them from someplace like IDparts or this place if you can wait for the shipping:

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-bosch-sheathed-element-glow-plug-0250402003.html?___SID=U

If you still have a stock engine (and I hope you don't!) then you are also WAY overdue by age on the timing belt. I'm the traveling mechanic for the CRD if you need my assistance, glow plugs are just one of the many things I work on for these engines. The timing belt system has a manufacturer-suggested age limit of no more than 6 years... Chrysler conveniently decided to omit that from the book, b/c they didn't want to be on the hook for replacing it under the warranty. Nice of them, huh?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 am 
LOST Member

Geordi,

Yes I still have the stock ceramic Glow Plugs, but I have had the timing belt, idle pulleys and the tension pulley, and water pump replaced for the second time at 193K miles, (first at 96K miles). This the first time with one of the Glow plugs producing a CEL and registering only about 800 Ohms, which is low.

I have not been able to get too much information from the replacement parts on the internet, either from Mopar, Bosch, or other manufacturers, except that they are new and so called matching the Chrysler's manufacturers part number. I do intent to replace them with metal ones if I find that it is the best way to go, but I have, confusing to me, information about the need to reprogram the ECM, and the reliability of the metal glow plugs. If the ceramic ones have lasted 12 years and 200+K miles, in my humble opinion they can not be that bad .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:38 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
You would be surprised about their lifespan and reliability. Your experience is NOT the norm, you have been extremely lucky.

As far as selection of components, if you still have the stock plugs then you still have the stock program as well. That means you have 7v plugs.

You do NOT need to have the dealer reprogram anything (and that is a really bad idea anyway) and you can drop the 7v Etecno plugs right in, they are designed to do exactly that. IDparts will not sell you the wrong thing if you search by the application.

Now, the pros and cons of the other choices:

The GreenSparkPlug 5v plugs I have linked above are indeed "rated" for 5 volts. However, the computer in the CRD is not providing EITHER 5 volts or 7 volts no matter what - it is pulsing at a very high rate, the full battery voltage, so that the plug gets a "simulated" 5 volt or 7 volt charge and level of heat. The GreenSparkPlug 5v glow plugs have been discovered to be capable of operating at a very similar temperature to the factory ceramic plugs (which makes starting easier) without any obvious shortened lifespan where ALL of the metal glow plugs otherwise have been reported to be extremely poor performers in starting the engine in cold conditions. That is why I suggested them.

The price point is cheap enough that if they do have a reduced lifespan, it won't hurt so much. But let me be clear - everyone that has installed these 5v plugs with their 7v program is still using them, I have heard of zero failures. It is just a warning of the possibility based on logic at this point.

The Etecno 7v and Bosch 5v plugs (with matching program voltage) have ALL been reported as very poor performance at cold starting. Nobody seems very happy with them. Why use any of these then? The ceramic are no longer made - for anyone's engine, VW, Cummins, etc - because they all fail the same way: throwing shrapnel into the cylinder. The metal jacketed plugs are still ceramic on the inside, but when they die, they cannot explode into the cylinder. But that metal acts as an insulator, so the performance is not the same. That is why people have started using the 5v plugs on the 7v program, to "run them a bit hotter" and thus far it seems to be working acceptably.

For the ease of installation, I would highly suggest the Sasquatch elbow kit if you don't already have it, as the factory elbow is a pain to remove and install. If you elect not to go that route, at least do yourself the favor and change the bolts into the intake manifold (the upside down ones) for studs and nuts, it will help the reinstallation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am 
LOST Member

Yes, I have heard about the lack of performance of the Etenco 7V plugs and of the Bosch 5V plugs, which equals to short live. That is the reason that I started this thread. As now I am siding with your recommendation for the GreenSparkPlug 5V, but I was not sure that they will work without reprogramming the module. Yes, I do not want to do the reprogramming if possible.

I have done no modifications to any of the engine component with the exception of adding a Mann Provent 200 CCV in series with the original CCV. That solved my problems with the EGR system clogging for the last five years. Used to be once or twice a year. Thus I have the original intake elbow and will deal with it when the time come.

I have lost my connections with the technician who took care of me since new, and all the others (three) that I have tried, except for this last one, do not seem willing to understand and learn the characteristics of the CRD engine. I have done some light work in my driveway, open to the elements, thus is not the ideal working environment for what I suspect is going to be the task of replacing the glow plugs. Time consuming including the learning curve, but I will give it a try. Hope for good weather before the end of the fall gets here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:18 pm 
LOST Addict

If you are concerned about the time and want some assistance, I am the traveling mechanic for these. I've worked on more than 75 of them at this point, and something like a glow plug job is about a 4 hour job for me if everything cooperates.

I also provide other services such as complete EGR deletes (with appropriate programming) and I do it all in your driveway. I bring everything needed for the services and you are of course welcome to observe and ask any questions you like My knowledge on the mysteries of the universe is a little fuzzy however. :mrgreen:

That would probably be the fastest and most reliable way to get your CRD handled before it gets cold.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
geordi wrote:
My knowledge on the mysteries of the universe is a little fuzzy however. :mrgreen:

. . .42

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:59 pm 
LOST Addict

THAT ONE I KNOW!

That's the answer.... But what is the question? :goink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:22 pm 
LOST Member

OK back to earth:

Does anyone have information about the Mopar 68090430AA-001 replacement glow plug, made in France, now being offered by Chrysler? The tech at the dealer has of not too much help.

Or the Bosch 0250302004 original glow plug?

I have not been able to get any technical information except that of the part number. and general description.

Geordi, thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would buy from green spark plug. $50 shipped. Had mine in less than a week.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

Peteyz24,
Obviously money and time are big issues, but , for me , are they the correct ones?, are they going to last 200K miles, 12 years, as my originals? All the opinions that I have received till now indicate a a glow plug replacement every year or two with some of the replacements. Others said nothing about durability or compatibility . Why? I will take the time to do a full research, and then make my decision once that I am convinced that they are the right ones.

The greesparkplug ones have good reputation, but also the Mopar 68090430AA. Delivery time; about the same, installation cost; about the same (not counting unforeseen events). Compatibility; as now I am tilting towards Mopar. Durability; no good information. Unit cost; Mopar more expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

First:
Exact replacement Bosch 7 volt ceramic glow plugs are no longer available from anywhere.
All that is available is 7 volt metal and 5 volt metal glow plugs.

Second:
Neither of the 7v or 5v metal plugs work as good as the original ceramic plugs.
You have some trade offs to consider.

The 7v metal plugs will last a long time and will never break off to cause engine damage. But they don't work as good for cold winter starting.
The 5v metal plugs also won't break and, when used with 7v ECM programming, will get hotter and work better for cold winter starting. But being operated at that higher voltage will shorten their lifespan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks flash, that is the type of information that I was looking for. You put it very clear. I am NOT trying to replace with original ceramic glow plugs. That will be stretchering my luck too much.

I understand that the Mopar replacements, made by Bosch in France, are ceramic element encased in a metal case, thus they heat faster than the only metal ones, not as fast as the ceramic only, and if they break would not spill the ceramic into the cylinder. but I have not been able to find; A) operating voltage, nor B) longevity. The dealer tech was of no help. Do you know any thing about them?

We have been getting sort of mild winter around here, MD, DC, VA area, and my practice have been, if the weather forecast calls for lower than 20F nights, to plug in the block heater overnight, not just for a couple of hours. That has allowed me to start the Jeep with minimum cranking, 5 to 10 seconds, in the mornings. in the warm weather it fires within 3 seconds +/- of cranking. Above 32F nights I just wait for the glow plug cycle in the mornings, and then it takes about 10 seconds of cranking to fire. I normally limit my cranking times to 15 seconds cycles all year around.

Thus I still don't know if the Mopar's are 7V or 5V glow plugs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:53 pm 
LOST Addict

The currently available mopar glow plugs should be the 5 volt plugs.
Which is why Jeep recommends the ECM programming/upgrade kit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:07 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:49 pm 
LOST Addict

All currently available plugs from anywhere are ceramic inside metal. That is the same for every option.

All plugs from everywhere are 5v UNLESS specifically stating 7v, and to my knowledge the Etecno are the only 7v plugs. Issues have been stated above.

As to the "reduced lifespan" at the current time, IT IS NOT KNOWN how long they will last, because nobody has had them fail yet operating the 5v plugs on the 7v programming. Everyone that has installed them has been satisfied so far and the performance is better. Once you have replaced the plugs once (and use aluminum anti-seize on the threads) should you need to, doing them again is not terribly hard.

But that cycle could be 2 years, it could be 5 years... Nobody has discovered the end point yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
geordi wrote:
As to the "reduced lifespan" at the current time, IT IS NOT KNOWN how long they will last, because nobody has had them fail yet operating the 5v plugs on the 7v programming. Everyone that has installed them has been satisfied so far and the performance is better. Once you have replaced the plugs once (and use aluminum anti-seize on the threads) should you need to, doing them again is not terribly hard. But that cycle could be 2 years, it could be 5 years... Nobody has discovered the end point yet.

All true for me as well. The Etecno1 issue of the wobbling loose power terminal when torqued, has not caused any problems either. When the power wire caps are fully on, the gap is covered. I have used a power washer on both sides of the engine, and there have been no problems or DTCs relating to glow plugs.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:16 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks to all

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:11 pm 
LOST Member

End of investigation:

Mopar 68090430AA is the same as Bosch 0250402003, 5V metallic sheathed Glow plug. Ordered a set from ID parts plus the intake manifold gasket kit. Better price and faster delivery. Should have them here by Wednesday or Thursday next. Plan to run them without reprogramming the ECM this winter. Will make final decision about reprogramming by Spring 2018.

Thanks to all again