It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: cool running
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
This isnt normal for any car. Why would you pack up and leave like the problem is solved if it was still dropping down to 1/4. :BANANA:

Absolutely correct... the problem does not appear to be solved.

I hope joohn is not one of those people who believe most repairs to modern vehicles can be accomplished with baling twine and duct tape, as it appears to be from a significant percentage of members of this forum. The main reason why Liberty CRDs have the reputation of being unreliable vehicles, after all of the pollution control problems, are the backyard "fixes" attempted by people who think they know better than the engineers who designed the engine in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry I have been away on holl's and not responded,
I fitted an new thermostat in a new housing the complete thing,

just done 4,000 miles in total on holiday, the temperature moves up to the 1/4 mark it never drops below this and on long hills it moves up to 1/2 way or just above, all on cruse at 68 MPH on the flat it returns to just above the 1/4 mark, I have just arrived back from a 760 mile journey it took 14 hrs in total only stopping for fuel half way. most of the time at 68 mph, oil and water no change.

so I think the gauge is a bit low reading but I can live with that, I have a bigger problem now the rear wheel bearing is sounding awful, rumbling away, glad to be home so I can fix it, can the job be done without a press? to remove the bearing?

john

Post subject: cool running
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I wouldn’t assume the gauge is reading low. It shouldn’t be moving at all once it’s warmed up unless you climbing massive hills and towing and the jeep starts to overheat. I would check to make sure all the air is bled in case that’s tricking the sensor. Get it hot and then park it on a step incline. The way the radiator inlet hose bends down from the stat housing means you gotta point it uphill to get a bubble out of the Tstat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Will do that tomorow, sure it something simple, going well also.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:09 pm 
LOST Addict

You are still getting wild temperature fluctuations, even after installing a new O.E. thermostat assembly? I agree with mass-hole; you probably need to bleed the cooling system again. He is also correct in that bleeding the cooling system is easier once you have the Liberty CRD on a steep incline... I use ramps myself, and have never had a problem bleeding the system properly. :)

If this does not solve the problem, you may have a faulty temperature gauge or temperature sending unit. I would check your actual engine operating temperature with either an OBDII reader or a Torque Pro App. This will give you the engine's temperature as it is read through the O.E. temperature sending unit. Compare this with a temperature reading from an infra-red temperature gun where you aim the laser on the top of the engine thermostat assembly. If they are vastly different readings, you have a problem with the O.E. TSU, (or it's electrical connections). If your OBDII reader or Torque Pro App is reading an engine temperature of close to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, and yet the gauge is still reading 1/4, then it is likely a fault in the gauge itself, (again, it may also be electrical connections).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

The reading is not fluctuating it is slow to rise to just over 1/4 after it's warmed up ( about 5 miles), and stops there when on the flat, hard work like up a long hill it will slowly rise to just above 1/2, when I reach the top and descend it slowly comes back down to 1/4 ish. this takes about 4 miles of flat road using Cruse to go up the hill and after. I can get a external temperature reading using a gun I can lend from a mate.

Thanks' for all your help.
What a good Forum this is!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:26 pm 

Something is not right!
Temperature should run at normal (176 deg.s) operating temperature which is just a tic to the left of straight up mark (12:00)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:45 am 
LOST Newbie

That's good info I can check the real temp against that picture and get back with the readings soon

mine runs at 219 under hard work u hill
thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:25 pm 
LOST Addict

joohn wrote:
That's good info I can check the real temp against that picture and get back with the readings soon

thanks

john:

Check the real temperature via OBDII reader, Torque Pro App, and the infra-red temperature gun against your own temperature gauge, not necessarily the one in the photo.

WWDiesel, joohn is in the U.K.; his O.E. thermostat valve opening temperature is most certainly higher than ours here in North America. With that new O.E. thermostat assembly he installed, he should be at least 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:35 pm 

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
joohn wrote:
thanks

john:
Check the real temperature via OBDII reader, Torque Pro App, and the infra-red temperature gun against your own temperature gauge, not necessarily the one in the photo.
WWDiesel, joohn is in the U.K.; his O.E. thermostat valve opening temperature is most certainly higher than ours here in North America. With that new O.E. thermostat assembly he installed, he should be at least 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

I agree, but it should still run higher than 1/4 at normal temperature wouldn't you say, even if the gauge is calibrated slightly different for the 190 temperature? :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:59 am 
LOST Addict

[/quote] I agree, but it should still run higher than 1/4 at normal temperature wouldn't you say, even if the gauge is calibrated slightly different for the 190 temperature? :shock:[/quote]

Oh, yes; I agree. I was simply stating for the record that the O.E. thermostat assemblies have higher opening temperatures in other markets around the world because those other markets do not have to comply with the EPA.

As we have been discussing, it could be air bubbles in the cooling system or a faulty engine temperature gauge or temperature sending unit.

It could also be some other problem with the cooling system as well. This is why I want to see the actual engine temperature readings from an OBDII reader/Torque Pro app and compare them with temperature readings from an infra-red temperature gun. I want to start with the most likely causes of this issue first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 am 

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Oh, yes; I agree. I was simply stating for the record that the O.E. thermostat assemblies have higher opening temperatures in other markets around the world because those other markets do not have to comply with the EPA.
As we have been discussing, it could be air bubbles in the cooling system or a faulty engine temperature gauge or temperature sending unit.
It could also be some other problem with the cooling system as well. This is why I want to see the actual engine temperature readings from an OBDII reader/Torque Pro app and compare them with temperature readings from an infra-red temperature gun. I want to start with the most likely causes of this issue first.

If it has a new thermostat installed, I would suspect the temperature sensor is not reading correctly. :roll:
They are not that expensive; I would replace it first to rule it out! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry it’s been so long but I had trouble getting a heat gun,

The test was today in UK, Devon.
Air temp a cool 47, it’s raining, heater turned to cold and on country roads, speeds up to 50mph driving hard as conditions would allow.

Numbers are the marks on the temp gauge -

0. cold engine 43f
1. after 1.5 miles 98.1
2. after 3.5 miles 100.3
3. after 7 miles 113
4. the 1/4 mark after 15 miles 119
5. After booting it up a large hill at 18 miles 130

I could not get it any hotter without going on the motorway, driving back with the heater on and driving steady the temperature varied from mark 2 to 4, on returning home with the engine running I checked the stat temp =101 and the rad top tem =85.

It seems I have a faulty new thermostat, not happy, will be doing it all again soon.

joohn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:17 am 

joohn wrote:
Sorry it’s been so long but I had trouble getting a heat gun,
The test was today in UK, Devon.
Air temp a cool 47, it’s raining, heater turned to cold and on country roads, speeds up to 50mph driving hard as conditions would allow.
Numbers are the marks on the temp gauge -
0. cold engine 43f
1. after 1.5 miles 98.1
2. after 3.5 miles 100.3
3. after 7 miles 113
4. the 1/4 mark after 15 miles 119
5. After booting it up a large hill at 18 miles 130
I could not get it any hotter without going on the motorway, driving back with the heater on and driving steady the temperature varied from mark 2 to 4, on returning home with the engine running I checked the stat temp =101 and the rad top tem =85.
It seems I have a faulty new thermostat, not happy, will be doing it all again soon.
joohn

I think your diagnosis is dead on! Time for another thermostat...
Ever considered the HDS one? Know they are a little bit pricey, but they are real nice! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:11 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
You most definitely need a new thermostat.

aand we're back to here again....

Buy once cry once get it over with, and never worry about it again. :BINGO:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 am 
LOST Member

Interesting. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Was planning on replacing the t-stat when I do the t-belt but sounds like it needs it now especially with winter coming. I may try to burp it first just in case since I've had the system drained to install the new radiator. Getting an average of 23mpg in all around driving right now.

Where can one best source the HDS thermostat?

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 am 

krb wrote:
Interesting. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Was planning on replacing the t-stat when I do the t-belt but sounds like it needs it now especially with winter coming. I may try to burp it first just in case since I've had the system drained to install the new radiator. Getting an average of 23mpg in all around driving right now.

Where can one best source the HDS thermostat?

PM "TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK" on this forum
or
Jeff's contact info:
Jeffrey Allan Bauer
4J/1G Hi Performance Engine Thermostats
3727 - 117 Street N.W.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6J 1S5

Tel: 1-780-434-2324
Mobile: 1-780-844-0135
E-mail: INTCOMBUSTION2@hotmail.com

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 am 
LOST Member

Thanks WWDiesel!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

You will like his H001 Thermostat, I just installed mine(not had time until now) and temp runs straight up at the middle mark. Before would not move off of the quarter mark unless it was above 50'F and radiator blocks were installed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 am 
LOST Member

I almost bit the bullet and bought it - it really made sense. BUT I'm also having to replace the timing belt real soon, like over Christmas, plus my Dodge Cummins tranny is out - so I need to scrap together every bit of $$ I can.

But it makes sense to have a serviceable t-stat that runs at the best operating temps.