It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Webasto Install 2017
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

I've been working on a few things on my 2006 KJ, recently trying to get ready for the long dark winter by installing a Webasto Thermo Top C.

I've been looking at the included wiring diagram and the translated Cherokee install guide that is floating around and made a more recent translation that includes lines and arrows in the diagrams and a bit better formatting (link here, I hope), making it much easier to understand. I have finally come to realize that mine does not have any wiring for the fan/blower control relay.

This morning I called the local shop to find out if my kit was the wrong one or missing parts, and the tech told me that the kits haven't included blower control for years because of complaints they would kill batteries and burn-out blower motors. I am not concerned with the battery, as I'm taking advantage of the Sasquatch battery tray and a brand new Odyssey 1750.

My questions:
  1. Is anyone still running the Webasto with it controlling their cabin fan? Any issues?
  2. Is anyone able to help turn the circuit diagram into reality if I wanted to hook up the blower despite the advice not to?
  3. Maybe it's best to keep things simple and ignore the fan blower circuit, is anyone running it like that?

Questions for the rest of the install:
  4. Routing the exhaust... I'm worried about people calling the fire department if I just let it exhaust in the front... is anyone running theirs out the back like a regular exhaust or is that too far?
  5. To install the fuel line in the tank did you drill the tank or drill in via the plastic looking cap part, or some other way?
  6. Is the check valve noted in the Cherokee pdf really required?

This is a lot of questions, so thanks for reading this far. I'm hoping to turn some of the pictures I've been taking into useful information for someone in the future.

-matt

Future: TC upgrade, lift, wheels, bumper, winch, etc.

Post subject: Re: Webasto Install 2017
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 am 
LOST Newbie

I installed by drilling lift pump cap fitting 1/8" pipe. Pump is fitted above rear axle make sure you install a filter in front of pump
My exhaust is routed down to engine sump via 3/4" stainless gas flex pipe fully insulated so it warms oil
tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply Tony; I haven't seen that exhaust idea suggested in any of the other heater threads, it's a great idea. So I'm sure I understand, it is routed down under the engine and insulated until it is against the side of the oil pan, then exhausts right there under the vehicle or off to one side? How long is your exhaust?

-matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm 
LOST Addict

dh100m wrote:
I installed by drilling lift pump cap fitting 1/8" pipe. Pump is fitted above rear axle make sure you install a filter in front of pump
My exhaust is routed down to engine sump via 3/4" stainless gas flex pipe fully insulated so it warms oil
tony

Hello, Tony:

I am unsure of what I am reading here. Are you writing that you installed the fuel supply line to the Webasto heater by linking it to a pressurized line?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeff, I took it to mean he drilled a hole in the plastic cap, like the one pictured here (not my picture), to drop the line in from the Webasto pump, as opposed to drilling the tank itself. There's lots of guidance out there not to use a pressurized fuel line and to run a separate one, so that's what I'll be doing since I have a lift pump in my Liberty.

As a bit of my own update, I spoke with the tech at Energlo again and he advised me to keep the exhaust pipe 1m or less to avoid carbon build up and burning out a $450 part within the Webasto itself. He doesn't think it's going to look like a car fire when it is running, and that I shouldn't worry about running the exhaust to the back of the vehicle.

I got a check valve and barbs from Green Line Hoses here in Edmonton.

I'll be plumbing the water hoses and connecting the electricals tonight (just hooking to battery, no blower complications). Planning to drop the tank and run the fuel line this weekend.

-matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 am 
LOST Newbie

I cut a service hole in the back floor it is nicely marked out directly above where unit is located approx. 10" dia. made a plate to cover it Now have full access
So 1/8 steel brake line fitted into lift pump 2 1/2 " shorter than uncompressed pump height to allow for compression
Small flex line as in motorcycle tanks thru to above axle, small filter, dousing pump above axle to left side ,1/8 steel brake line runs to
front where it joins heater
Bottom heater exhaust has 3/4 45 degree copper fitting which fits perfect over port gear clamp about 2 1/2 ft of 3/4 ss gas flex line
insulated I covered the insulation with the material from the egr heat shielding fits very nice held in place with ss wire My heater is located behind headlamp Made custom bracket tight but fits Exhaust run over power steering assembly to sump.have picture
if any one is intereted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

dh100m wrote:
I cut a service hole in the back floor it is nicely marked out directly above where unit is located approx. 10" dia. made a plate to cover it Now have full access
So 1/8 steel brake line fitted into lift pump 2 1/2 " shorter than uncompressed pump height to allow for compression
Small flex line as in motorcycle tanks thru to above axle, small filter, dousing pump above axle to left side ,1/8 steel brake line runs to
front where it joins heater
Bottom heater exhaust has 3/4 45 degree copper fitting which fits perfect over port gear clamp about 2 1/2 ft of 3/4 ss gas flex line
insulated I covered the insulation with the material from the egr heat shielding fits very nice held in place with ss wire My heater is located behind headlamp Made custom bracket tight but fits Exhaust run over power steering assembly to sump.have picture
if any one is intereted.
I like the sound of that and am totally interested in any pictures you have. Especially since it sounds like you avoided dropping the tank, while adding future serviceability.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:33 pm 
LOST Member

Would love to see pics of the service access. I got as far as chipping the already severely cracked body deadening away and havent had time to make/ponder the decision of replacing the body deadening or creating a service access. I have a very low profile nibbler that would be a treat to cut the hole in the floor with,whilst shaping the screw-on cover is easy.
I think the idea of no inspection/access hole there just silly when the esrly models had them.
Its hard when injuries stop you bending and crawling around like a young fella. A big consideration NOW!
Thanks in advance if this can be posted.
Cheers
A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Auberon wrote:
Would love to see pics of the service access. I got as far as chipping the already severely cracked body deadening away and havent had time to make/ponder the decision of replacing the body deadening or creating a service access. I have a very low profile nibbler that would be a treat to cut the hole in the floor with,whilst shaping the screw-on cover is easy.
I think the idea of no inspection/access hole there just silly when the esrly models had them.
Its hard when injuries stop you bending and crawling around like a young fella. A big consideration NOW!
Cheers
A

I can definitely commiserate with you on getting old and having injuries... it hurts, man.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

this is all very interesting,.I have a brand new wobasto in my living rooms want to put it in my Liberty but i have cold feet
there just isn't anybody around here to help with it,..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 pm 
LOST Addict

highironcrd wrote:
this is all very interesting,.I have a brand new wobasto in my living rooms want to put it in my Liberty but i have cold feet
there just isn't anybody around here to help with it,..

Please remember to drop your fuel tank and have a completely separate fuel supply line for your Webasto. It is supplied by a very sensitive fuel metering pump, and tapping the supply line into an existing line will bugger up the metering of the fuel to the heater. Even a pressurized line of a couple of pounds is enough to cause problems.

When you drop the fuel tank to install the Webasto, it is a good time to install a lift pump for the engine's fuel system at the same time if you have not already done so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Auberon wrote:
Cheers
A

Well I followed this guide with my 2006 limited, and found an indentation where the access panel would be, but there isn't one. By the way, if the photos don't show up in that thread go here to fix all these old photo links again, this site comes back to life.

Here's a picture of what mine looks like:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 am 
LOST Member

That's precisely here mine was cracking but moreso.
Thanks very much for posting those pics.
Still plan on releasing the tank a tiny bit (backing off and checking with the borescope that there are no naughty bits to cut hiding in the airspace I create) and making an inspection plate per the earlier models of these buses from the Haynes books.
After things reach an end point with my 90+ y.o. dad with severe dementia I'll have a look at it but for now I'm way too reliant on the car at present to be without it and working on it.
Cheers