It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much should I pay for 06 crd
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi I'm and new to the CRD but not to jeeps, it just came to me yesterday while I was looking for a toe rig for my jeep that I could buy a KJ CRD and sell my wifes car.
I feel it would meet our needs better.

the question is what should I pay for one?
btw she drive roughly 30miles a day, and hauls our hounds around. little to no offroading, (fireroads/snow) I would do a leveling kit and more egressive tires other wise stock,mybe a lunch box locker.
the one I'm looking at has leather interior ,arp head studs, new timing set water pump and more.. will find out what more is on Saturday. oh and it has 197k I believe . I know on a 12v thats no bigs. but not sure on this guy.

Any info would be great thanks guys, happy trails.

my jeep, built not bought
91 YJ, 24" frame stretch, scrambler hardtop ,5.3 v8/4l60e, 37s locked front and rear. 1 ton axles

Post subject: Re: How much should I pay for 06 crd
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:14 pm 

project101 wrote:
Hi I'm and new to the CRD but not to jeeps, it just came to me yesterday while I was looking for a toe rig for my jeep that I could buy a KJ CRD and sell my wifes car.
btw she drive roughly 30miles a day, and hauls our hounds around. little to no offroading, (fireroads/snow) I would do a leveling kit and more egressive tires other wise stock,mybe a lunch box locker.
the one I'm looking at has leather interior ,arp head studs, new timing set water pump and more.. will find out what more is on Saturday. oh and it has 197k I believe . I know on a 12v thats no bigs. but not sure on this guy.
91 YJ, 24" frame stretch, scrambler hardtop ,5.3 v8/4l60e, 37s locked front and rear. 1 ton axles

This one was posted just today on LOST for 5k and it already has a lot of the necessary mods done to it to make it viable. A good looking Jeep with no rust and not a bad price!!! :wink:
> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=87277

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks ,
I emailed him. I'm pretty sure its to far from me here on the west coast.
but we will see for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:10 am 
LOST Addict

project101 wrote:

On these, 200k miles seems to be a bit of a sketchy point. If you do look at one that has mileage that high then I would make sure the timing belt was done a second time recently and it would be preferable that they also did rocker arms and vavles. The rocker arms like to fail and people have had them fail at much lower miles then that. Occasionally they like to drop valves too.

I dont think there are too many people with mileage that high but there are a few.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 am 
LOST Newbie

thats good word.

I have been doing my homework and prices are all over the place . I found one local for $5500, with under 100k but I'm sure it needs a timing belt,egr delete and all other recommended upgrades for longevity.it needs paint as well.
I also found one a bit north of me with close to 200k , but with all recent upgrades timing belt and and rockers/ egr delete. full leather interior. looks very nice as far as paint and interior. the guy claims her rebuilds crd liberty for a living. he's asking 6k
but said he could build a lower mileage one for a bit more. So I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do.
ill take any advice.

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
I dont think there are too many people with mileage that high but there are a few.

I've got over 200k on mine.
During that time I've replaced:
timing belt, twice
rocker arms
cylinder head (cracked) and installed ARP head studs
thermostat, twice
serpentine belt and tensioner
alternator pulley and voltage regulator
front upper and lower ball joints
shocks, twice
front and rear driveshaft joints
front wheel bearings
front diff axle seal, drivers side
rear pinion seal
all 4 brake calipers
CAC hoses
turbo vacuum control solenoids
turbo inlet hose, three times
(I'm sure there's more but cant think of anything else right now)

My current to-do list includes (but is not limited to):
transmission torque converter and pump
rear main seal
front driveshaft joints, again
lift springs (not a need, just a want)

(Note: the above list is only things that broke or wore out due to mileage/abuse and does not include the long list "mods" that were done for longevity and/or personal enjoyment)

Last edited by flash7210 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:47 am 

project101 wrote:
thats good word.
I have been doing my homework and prices are all over the place . I found one local for $5500, with under 100k but I'm sure it needs a timing belt,egr delete and all other recommended upgrades for longevity.it needs paint as well.
I also found one a bit north of me with close to 200k , but with all recent upgrades timing belt and and rockers/ egr delete. full leather interior. looks very nice as far as paint and interior. the guy claims her rebuilds crd liberty for a living. he's asking 6k
but said he could build a lower mileage one for a bit more. So I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do.
ill take any advice.
Thanks guys.

Finding one with EGR deleted or blanked off for the longest period is a big plus as it causes a lot of problems with this engine over time! :wink:
The longer it ran with EGR in service, the more detrimental it was for the engine!

These are not cheap vehicles to own from the start! Requires quite a few items/mods to get them into reliable shape for longevity. But once you get one there, they are truly unique and most who own one love them as there is nothing else out there like them!

To add to what Flash listed,
mine is coming up on 160k and these are the things I have done to it or going to do to it since I purchased it at 139k.

I have either replaced or upgraded the following:
timing belt, tensioner pulley, and both idler pulleys along with new water pump
in-tank fuel pump
ProVent CCV filter
DIY tune, several times, different versions
SunCoast torque converter
transmission front pump replaced
tires, twice
serpentine belt and tensioner
added V8 GM cooling fan and fan clutch
alternator pulley first, then later replaced alternator
upgraded battery to Northstar AGM
Weeks battery tray
front upper control arms & ball joints
front driveshaft joint, transfer case end
bilstein shocks, front & rear
heavier front and rear springs (Ironman 2.5" lift)
skid plate under transmission and transfer case
rear upper control arm (boomerang)
front diff axle seal, drivers side
CAC silicone boost hoses
Weeks elbow kit
boost gauge
turbo inlet hose
added secondary fuel filter and better primary fuel filter
added fuel cooler on return line
and there may be a few more I missed???

current in progress:
rebuilding rear axle, all new bearings & seals
adding trac-lok posi carrier to replace open diff.

future list includes (but is not limited to):
head studs & rockers
aux. transmission cooler
lower front ball joints
and gosh I hope thats it, but I bet it's not!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDIESEL (These are not cheap vehicles to own from the start! Requires quite a few items/mods to get them into reliable shape for longevity. But once you get one there, they are truly unique and most who own one love them as there is nothing else out there like them!)

with that said the one I'm looking at with under 100k is bone stock. ok I just checked the add again and its $5900 he's asking

or would you rather get a higher mileage with all the upgrades already done? for roughly the same price.
im not against doing the upgrades but more concerned about it being reliable for my wife . I already have a project rig lol

I might be looking into this too much lol
send it boys!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:19 pm 

project101 wrote:
WWDIESEL (These are not cheap vehicles to own from the start! Requires quite a few items/mods to get them into reliable shape for longevity. But once you get one there, they are truly unique and most who own one love them as there is nothing else out there like them!)
with that said the one I'm looking at with under 100k is bone stock. ok I just checked the add again and its $5900 he's asking
or would you rather get a higher mileage with all the upgrades already done? for roughly the same price.
im not against doing the upgrades but more concerned about it being reliable for my wife . I already have a project rig lol
send it boys!

IMHO, cost wise, it certainly would be cheaper to find a good used one with most of all the mods and upgrades already done to it that someone has truly taken good care of it!
But on the other hand, finding a very low milage one in real good condition that has been well taken care of and doing all the mods and upgrades to it yourself if you have the time and resources is certainly a good and worthwhile consideration!

Decisions, decisions; life if full of them unfortunately and sometimes there just are no real easy answers! :juggle: :dizzy:
This is one of those tough ones to call.... :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm 
LOST Addict

project101 wrote:

send it boys!

The problem with the old one is it could have had the EGR running for 190k miles and only got "fixed" a few thousand miles ago. If the guy blocked it off at 40k miles then I would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable.

The bottom end of these motors are generally pretty stout, so if they worked on the top end recently(rockers valves etc) then its probably a pretty safe bet that its in good shape and will last a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Having been down this road myself, I would choose the one with all the upgrades.

I bought an '06 supposedly completely stock, with known problems that would start and idle.

What I found once working on it, 136K miles had left it in far worse condition all over than I had imagined as the worst scenario.

Even doing the work myself, It's been far more expensive doing all the upgrades myself than had I bought one (Limited) with 195K miles for sale ($6000) at the time that had all the upgrades done, and goodyear duratrack tires (good tires alone, will add over $1000 if the rig doesn't have good, newish tires already).

Had I then known what I know now I'd have gone that route.

With the work I've done, plus the price I paid, I'm pushing $9000. All the mods I've done, have been exactly as I want, but had I bought the other one, I'd be much money ahead even if it needed timing belt and EGR delete.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I have a 2005 Sport for sale that has a new engine (30k on it since it was built) and *all* of the engine upgrades done. New valves, rockers, ARP studs, timing belt, glow plugs, full EGR delete, Hemi converter. I'd be happy to send you any pictures you want, the body officially has 175k on it, but the engine has been properly broken in and gets an honest 26mpg at 85mph all day long. It will need tires soon and I'm cognizant of that, so the price right now is $7500. Delivery or fly / drive can be discussed. Pictures here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGNwkLGhMmgsheOi1

I'm curious who said they rebuild these for a living and where he's at - this is a very small community and there are only a very few of us that do work on these - and I only know of 3 people that rebuild them.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

(geordi)I'm curious who said they rebuild these for a living and where he's at - this is a very small community and there are only a very few of us that do work on these - and I only know of 3 people that rebuild them.

Email sent .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:12 pm 

Do the math!
Buy a new or newer SUV and make payments of $400 to $600 per month for five years.

or

Buy a used Jeep Liberty CRD for a good price and spend $2k to 4k to get it into good reliable condition with a few nice mods. :wink: (provided you do the labor yourself)
This equates to around four to eight car payments and you are pretty much done other than normal maintenance as it is driven...

:juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

project101 wrote:
(geordi)I'm curious who said they rebuild these for a living and where he's at - this is a very small community and there are only a very few of us that do work on these - and I only know of 3 people that rebuild them.

Email sent .

I'm curious to know too...I'm a newbie here, have an 05 CRD LIMITED that just blew the head gasket and who knows what else.
It was a little neglected as a work truck so I think the coolant ran out and nobody checked it then poof!

I refuse to send it to salvage for hope of someone who needs a project, I drove it for 12 great years.
Any leads here in South Florida on where to find interested buyers would be appreciated.
:BANANA:

thanks!
Here's a link if anyone likes to see the pretty blue!
https://cargur.us/jSQPk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Welcome to LOST - Your CRD is likely fixable, but it will be a good bit of work. If this is something you are interested in, I am the traveling mechanic for these and can put together a quote. We are fairly close to each other though... Look to your South, you will see my city. ;) You would actually not have any travel expenses!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:40 pm 
LOST Addict

project101 wrote:

Email sent .

Ok, just so everyone is up to speed, you were talking to Nick and looking at one of his. He is on here and goes by Mountainman as a username, but is out of contact for at least the next 2 weeks (probably 3) b/c of the Alaska hunting season. He was one of the three rebuilders that I was thinking of, and I trust his work completely. If he builds you a vehicle, the result will be better than the factory built it.

I think I know which vehicle you might be talking to him about, and that also sounded like a solid truck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
LOST Addict

ontheroadtv wrote:
project101 wrote:

Email sent .

I'm curious to know too...I'm a newbie here, have an 05 CRD LIMITED that just blew the head gasket and who knows what else.
It was a little neglected as a work truck so I think the coolant ran out and nobody checked it then poof!

I refuse to send it to salvage for hope of someone who needs a project, I drove it for 12 great years.
Any leads here in South Florida on where to find interested buyers would be appreciated.
:BANANA:

thanks!
Here's a link if anyone likes to see the pretty blue!
https://cargur.us/jSQPk

Look at picture 5 in that listing.
I see black oil around the radiator cap.
That’s a bad sign. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well there certainly is black something on the left side of the coolant tank but it's shiny black and has run in discrete trails down what looks like the outside of the tank and I can see orangish coolant color at the edges of the black. Whatever it is I'm not convinced it's oil; almost looks like spilled black paint but that seems odd too. Weird.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:45 am 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Even doing the work myself, It's been far more expensive doing all the upgrades myself than had I bought one (Limited) with 195K miles for sale ($6000) at the time that had all the upgrades done, and goodyear duratrack tires (good tires alone, will add over $1000 if the rig doesn't have good, newish tires already).

You can do a decent set of new tires for much less than $1000. You can get a good set for $600 balance & installed.