It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mechanic Suggestions - Houston
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 pm 
LOST Addict

I still wonder if they didn't fix something else that was actually causing the no start. And in addition did the ECM to fix other problem the jeep transmission etc had especially since someone came to the shop to program it. Especially since the codes reported should indicate it was not the ECM. I guess we will never know for sure , but next time maybe they will get Pinhead or other to troubleshoot first.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

PANHEAD wrote:
I’m not on forum much but I live in central Houston and have a CRD WITH 180k mile on it which means I have suffered thru most of the idiosyncrasies of the Diesel KJ, This is my second CRD I have done head jobs timing belts fuel pumps etc. so if you need some local help pm me
Awesome! I'll keep you in mind, glad to know you understand the frustration! Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 am 
LOST Newbie

TKB4 wrote:
I still wonder if they didn't fix something else that was actually causing the no start. And in addition did the ECM to fix other problem the jeep transmission etc had especially since someone came to the shop to program it. Especially since the codes reported should indicate it was not the ECM. I guess we will never know for sure , but next time maybe they will get Pinhead or other to troubleshoot first.
I'm planning on that next time. The last shop I had taken it too years ago screwed up the system, so my computer had been reading the jeep as a manual this whole time. Tried to get it flashed in the past, but it never worked.

Thankfully at least that problem is for sure solved.

New problem though, my crank is extended when I start it sometimes.

With all the recent life events happening, just learned I'm also expecting. So.... taking a breather before tackling that! Lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:14 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Congratulations on the new addition (pending)... And the extended cranking will likely be an air leak / air in the fuel. If you don't have the new fuel head and eliminate the couplings back by the tank, then that can explain why you may still have air leaks.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
Congratulations on the new addition (pending)... And the extended cranking will likely be an air leak / air in the fuel. If you don't have the new fuel head and eliminate the couplings back by the tank, then that can explain why you may still have air leaks.
Thank you Geordi! I'll check on that. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 am 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
Would this be the correct part? Same damned problem happened again today, but after pushing the pump a few times under the hood it started no problem. Wish I knew then what I know now right? Ha live and learn.

https://www.idparts.com/updated-fuel-fi ... -4723.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 am 

LyndseyPaige wrote:
Would this be the correct part? Same damned problem happened again today, but after pushing the pump a few times under the hood it started no problem. Wish I knew then what I know now right? Ha live and learn.

That is the correct part!
OEM PN 68043089AA

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
LyndseyPaige wrote:
geordi wrote:

Yes, that is the updated one. Filter included.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Comments on swapping in new filter head.
1. remove old head - unplug WIF sensor on bottom of filter; undo clamps holding fuel lines and PUSH them off don't try to pull them off; unplug both electrical plugs; and undo the 2 bolts holding the fuel head in place.
2. install is the reverse except for the new heater plug as noted below. You do not have to fill the filter with clean fuel as once the new head is installed you can use the bleeder and primer pump to fill the new filter from the tank (pump primer until hard, crack bleeder to let air/fuel escape; retighten bleed but no godzilla on tightening; repeat until fuel with no air comes out - Note a bit of vinyl hose on the bleeder and a catch can keep the mess down)

The new electrical plug comes with 2 identical sets of wires but only one is used. To hook up:
1. disconnect battery
2. match new wires to old as close as possible by size - colors won't match
3. slip new wires thru new plug and secure with the blue clip
4. cut the old heater plug off and splice the new plug on - I used marine grade butt connectors with heat shrink tubing.
5. plug new plug into new filter head
6. hook battery back up.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Agree with answers about the filter head etc HOWEVER!!!!

This will still likely not completely fix your problem at least not permanently. You need a lift pump. The simplest would be to install and least expensive would be one similar to the facet 40109 hopefully the following link will workhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/FACET-FUEL ... 2224841221

If its installed in the engine compartment possibly under battery tray takes about 30 to 60 minutes and you probably don't need to replace the fuel head unless it is actually leaking fuel, just unplug the heater wire that goes to the right side of the filter head to keep down fire hazard , or do both and prevent future headaches.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe or maybe not. Both me (05) and my son (06) had air in the fuel filter issues and both 1st gen filter heads had burned heater elements. We both replaced the 1st gen filter heads with the 2n gen and in both cases doing so "fixed" the air in the filter head problem; in fact we both have (Chance now has mine) Facet inline pumps we never bothered to install as there was no need.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 pm 

An in-tank lift pump install cures ALL air inleakage or air infusion into the diesel fuel on these vehicles once in for all!
They should have been installed in them from the factory but were not for some dumb reason!
Many members on this forum have installed lift pumps with all kinds of great reports by doing so!
Even an in-line lift pump is still better than no lift pump at all....

The CP3 is having to SUCK diesel fuel all the way from the fuel tank, through all the lines and fittings which were never designed to seal under suction but only under positive pressure, through the filter head and filter and then on to the injection pump. A very poor fuel delivery system design indeed!!!!! :shock:

Doing anything else or less is simply a temporary band-aid approach to solving a known problem! :roll:
Many, many, writeups or threads on LOST concerning this subject....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I agree, but the lift pump would likely correct the problem with either cause from line fittings or fuel head and later enable 2 micron filter addition. I also believe though no real evidence exists that the fuel ( injector) pump will last longer and if add secondary fuel filter which you cannot do without a lift pump the injectors will last longer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
I agree, but the lift pump would likely correct the problem with either cause from line fittings or fuel head and later enable 2 micron filter addition. I also believe though no real evidence exists that the fuel ( injector) pump will last longer and if add secondary fuel filter which you cannot do without a lift pump the injectors will last longer

The secondary fuel filter's primary purpose is to protect the fuel injectors but of course the CP3 also benefits from cleaner fuel!
And yes, a lift pump is needed if you install a secondary fuel filter...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
An in-tank lift pump install cures ALL air inleakage or air infusion into the diesel fuel on these vehicles once in for all!
They should have been installed in them from the factory but were not for some dumb reason!
Many members on this forum have installed lift pumps with all kinds of great reports by doing so!
Even an in-line lift pump is still better than no lift pump at all....

The CP3 is having to SUCK diesel fuel all the way from the fuel tank, through all the lines and fittings which were never designed to seal under suction but only under positive pressure, through the filter head and filter and then on to the injection pump. A very poor fuel delivery system design indeed!!!!! :shock:

Doing anything else or less is simply a temporary band-aid approach to solving a known problem! :roll:
Many, many, writeups or threads on LOST concerning this subject....
I'm going to look into this, thank you so much. This whole mess is driving me mad. Just replaced the tensioner and all that because of general wear, and this is on the list.

Took it to a shop because i had to prime is again to get it to start, the guy told me "well you can't really prime the fuel because it won't really do anything unless the car is running".

I responded, then why did it start after I primed It?

He claimed he forgot I was talking about a diesel.

Shoot me now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
TKB4 wrote:

The secondary fuel filter's primary purpose is to protect the fuel injectors but of course the CP3 also benefits from cleaner fuel!
So what all do I need to buy?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm 
LOST Member

LyndseyPaige wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
TKB4 wrote:

So what all do I need to buy?

You would need this,

https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... berty-crd/

and this,

https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... 5143160aa/

and someone good at turning wrenches with about 5 or 6 hours worth of time to follow the guide and do the install.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 pm 

LyndseyPaige wrote:
You would need this,
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... berty-crd/
and this,
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... 5143160aa/
and someone good at turning wrenches with about 5 or 6 hours worth of time to follow the guide and do the install.

You certainly need the Carter in tank pump module!
Many on LOST have made their own wiring harness by buying the proper ends and modifying their existing harness to the fuel tank.
If you don't want to do this, then the Sasquatch premade harness is plug and play!

See this thread for more information:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26385&start=20

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch