It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow Coolant Leak - from the Engine "Oil Cooler" area?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm 
LOST Member

Hello CRD community!

I am hoping y'all can help me answer some questions and provide me with some advice.

My CRD has had a slow coolant leak for a little while now, and I couldn't find out where it was coming from. Also, there weren't any other symptoms that might help me figure out where it was leaking from... no rough-running/power-loss engine, no new out of the ordinary noise, white-smoke-from-tail-pipe, drips/puddles inside or outside, etc. Every month or so I'd simply add more coolant. Back then I also did pressure test the coolant system, but it didn't show any contamination in the blue chemical reagent (turning color for engine exhaust chemical contamination) when I tested it then, and the pressure held constant from what I could tell (tested pressure for an hour).

I replaced the Coolant Cap as well just to make sure.

The slow coolant leak has increased slightly, but not much, and now I think I found the source.

I recently did a UV-Dye & UV-Light test, and found a very small puddle of coolant on the bottom left edge of Engine Oil Cooler.

My questions are these:

1.) How likely is the Engine Oil Cooler to be the primary leak point for the Coolant? Or is there a more likely culprit in that area (given that I've replaced the Turbo recently)?
2.) How difficult (time, tools, and skill level) is it to replace these Engine Oil Cooler part(s), and should I also replace anything else while I'm down there?:
ENGINE OIL COOLER $130.00 https://www.idparts.com/oil-cooler-liberty-crd-p-3887.html
ENGINE OIL COOLER GASKET $48.00 https://www.idparts.com/oil-cooler-gasket-liberty-crd-p-3216.html

3.) Might simply tightening the bolts fix this problem?

Please share any and all ideas.

Thanks!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

Post subject: Re: Slow Coolant Leak - from the Engine "Oil Cooler" area?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Infinite_Karma wrote:
Hello CRD community!

I am hoping y'all can help me answer some questions and provide me with some advice.

My CRD has had a slow coolant leak for a little while now, and I couldn't find out where it was coming from. Also, there weren't any other symptoms that might help me figure out where it was leaking from... no rough-running/power-loss engine, no new out of the ordinary noise, white-smoke-from-tail-pipe, drips/puddles inside or outside, etc. Every month or so I'd simply add more coolant. Back then I also did pressure test the coolant system, but it didn't show any contamination in the blue chemical reagent (turning color for engine exhaust chemical contamination) when I tested it then, and the pressure held constant from what I could tell (tested pressure for an hour).

I replaced the Coolant Cap as well just to make sure.

The slow coolant leak has increased slightly, but not much, and now I think I found the source.

I recently did a UV-Dye & UV-Light test, and found a very small puddle of coolant on the bottom left edge of Engine Oil Cooler.

My questions are these:

1.) How likely is the Engine Oil Cooler to be the primary leak point for the Coolant? Or is there a more likely culprit in that area (given that I've replaced the Turbo recently)?
I cleaned my oil cooler when I was in there but it was motor oil dripping from the turbo drain, and a small oil seepage from behind the cooler.

2.) How difficult (time, tools, and skill level) is it to replace these Engine Oil Cooler part(s), and should I also replace anything else while I'm down there?:
I would first try replacing the rubber coolant lines if that's where the coolant is showing up. Especially if it's showing up on the face opposite the block.

The most inconvenient part is dealing with the coolant drain and re-fill. If it's not requiring refill every week, I'd just get the parts, and back-burner it until time to do the Timing Belt, then do that and the thermostat, water pump, and lower radiator hose along with. all in one go.

ENGINE OIL COOLER $130.00 https://www.idparts.com/oil-cooler-liberty-crd-p-3887.html
ENGINE OIL COOLER GASKET $48.00 https://www.idparts.com/oil-cooler-gasket-liberty-crd-p-3216.html

3.) Might simply tightening the bolts fix this problem?

Please share any and all ideas.

Thanks!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:15 pm 
LOST Member

I retightened all the clamps and bolts that were connected and supporting the coolant system in that area, and the leak seems to have stopped!

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Glad you have one less thing to worry about.
Stress is never a good thing.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 pm 

Infinite_Karma wrote:
I retightened all the clamps and bolts that were connected and supporting the coolant system in that area, and the leak seems to have stopped!

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

You may want to consider replacing the rubber hose and clamps on the oil cooler, they are getting up there in age..... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve