It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intercooler to engine blower hose change
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:52 am 
LOST Newbie

I've sent a couple of personal messages asking if there might be a thread about this issue already. I've received no replies so I am opening this thread seeking assistance.
I've been able to change the turbo to intercooler hose with little problem. The Intercooler to engine hose is another matter. Space is tight and tolerances are tighter. I removed the battery but still not enough to be able to put the hose onto the intercooler nipple. I had some help from a friend to attach the hose to the engine intake.
As I stated above, the tolerance is real tight at the intercooler. I can't move my hand around the nipple so as to facilitate placing the hose onto it. I am working in the blind. In addition, the hose is so limber it doesn't stay in place to assist. The Jeep has 102,00 miles. It is a 2006. It had the original factory hoses. I am replacing with original factory hoses. I couldn't economically justify $400 for silicone when the originals last over 100,000 miles and I might not me alive when the new ones require replacing. I'm 76 years old now and the Jeep is 11 years old. You do the math.
The fuse box is also in the way. There are three posts holding the fuse box to the battery tray. I can't open the locks or whatever they are called. is there a method for that other than breaking them and then buying a new battery tray and fuse box. If that's the method it stinks. Sorry, but this has been a very frustrating task. The Jeep has been laid up for three weeks now since the hose in question split and put it out of commission. Any one have any ideas about how to?
Is there another thread about how to do this chore?
Does any one know of any video that shows the method?
Does any one reading this live near Amherst, VA? If so, maybe you would like to share a cold brew or a glass of wine and help this old futz get that hose on.
Please help if you can.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Intercooler to engine blower hose change
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:09 pm 

The tabs on the Power Distribution Panel should be easily released by inserting a flat blade screwdriver to unlock while at the same time be pulling up on the assembly. You certainly DO NOT have to break anything to pull it up and move it aside to facilitate connecting the boost hose to the CAC nipple! :wink:

Wish you were closer, would be more than happy to help you install your hoses! :roll:
Maybe one of the members in your area will see this and offer help?

Note: Could not find any video's on this!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Mine is tough as well. It’s best to try and get the bottom of the hose on first and then work the top over the end. It might help to use a flat something to lift/stretch the top over the fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

I just removed my last month and sort of developed a twist and turn system to do it. Just releasing the fuse box, no need to remove it, will create sufficient space to work it out. Be sure that the clamps are fully open. Follow WWDiesel and mass-hole advice, that is sort of what I did.

How far are you from Rockville, MD?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 pm 
LOST Member

I just removed mine last month and sort of developed a twist and turn system to do it. Just releasing the fuse box, no need to remove it, will create sufficient space to work it out. Be sure that the clamps are fully open. Follow WWDiesel and mass-hole advice, that is sort of what I did.

How far are you from Rockville, MD?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the flat blade something, or screwdriver to open tabs. I will try that.
Distance from Rockville to Amherst, VA is 167 miles via US 29, and 214 via I 66 an I 81 and US 60 according to Google earth. Thanks but that's a long hike. I appreciate the thought.
Hank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:36 pm 
LOST Member

Just happen that I am going to be driving in that area in my way to Charlotte NC for my grandson's birthday party. I will be driving south on Friday the 3rd, and returning north on Monday the 6th. I will not have time to stop there on Friday, but I will have plenty of time on Monday. Will be glad to stop and offer my hand to you. Hope that by then you have already solved the tricky installation, but let me know if you still need assistance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:17 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
I'm in Bedford, Virginia.
Let me know if I can help out.

I can do it any time, so Sergio del Castillo doesn't have to detour on his trip.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm 
LOST Member

Tank you crasher. Your help will arrive faster than mine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 pm 
LOST Member

Sergio del Castillo wrote:
...Follow WWDiesel and mass-hole advice, that is sort of what I did...

X4. I've had to mess with mine recently more than I care to. I grab the hose at the bottom and near the top and work/wiggle it over the bottom of the intercooler connection then work it over the top. Cussing is allowed.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks everybody for the truly helpful responses. I am overwhelmed by the offers to come up here to help. I am also sorry that I haven't responded sooner. I've been busy and haven't looked at the forum for a while. I know that's no excuse for being rude, but I just didn't think about the forum since I wrote the post on October 31st regarding using a flat blade screwdriver. Truly sorry. I was able to remove the fuse box and then finagle the hose onto the intercooler outlet nipple and secure it by using the screwdriver to open the tabs on the fuse box posts.
Funny anecdote here though. After having put both hoses on I took the little beasty for a test drive. Everything was alright for about a quarter mile until I punched the throttle. All of a sudden a loud bang and then no power again. Oh my gosh what did I do? ran through my mind. Actually the words were a little different than that, but this is a family forum ... eh ?
Anyway, I shut down the engine and popped the hood. I looked around and saw that the hose from the blower to the intercooler had become dislodged from the blower end. I hadn't tightened the hose clamp securely so it let go the first instance of pressure. I refit the hose and securely tightened it. The second test drive was fine. It has been running smoothly since.
Hank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm 

hankdz wrote:
Thanks everybody for the truly helpful responses. I am overwhelmed by the offers to come up here to help. I am also sorry that I haven't responded sooner. I've been busy and haven't looked at the forum for a while. I know that's no excuse for being rude, but I just didn't think about the forum since I wrote the post on October 31st regarding using a flat blade screwdriver. Truly sorry. I was able to remove the fuse box and then finagle the hose onto the intercooler outlet nipple and secure it by using the screwdriver to open the tabs on the fuse box posts.
Funny anecdote here though. After having put both hoses on I took the little beasty for a test drive. Everything was alright for about a quarter mile until I punched the throttle. All of a sudden a loud bang and then no power again. Oh my gosh what did I do? ran through my mind. Actually the words were a little different than that, but this is a family forum ... eh ?
Anyway, I shut down the engine and popped the hood. I looked around and saw that the hose from the blower to the intercooler had become dislodged from the blower end. I hadn't tightened the hose clamp securely so it let go the first instance of pressure. I refit the hose and securely tightened it. The second test drive was fine. It has been running smoothly since.
Hank

Great! Glad you got it going man!!!! :-)r
Ever need any more help or advice, just ask! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH