It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Losing brake pedal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys- a few weeks ago I took my 2.8crd for its annual MOT check. Its been stood a wee while. On arrival, the rear left disk was pretty warm - caliper sticking. It put the ABS warning light on - at home freed off the piston in the caliper but started losing a firm pedal - suspected master cylinder - replaced with a new secondhand one - still same. So losing pedal = fluid leak , master cylinder or abs unit right ? So changed abs unit - bled at each wheel - now rock solid pedal - until you start the engine then pedal slowly goes to floor - abs light still on - What do you think ??
Any help much appreciated. Thanks Dave P

Post subject: Re: Losing brake pedal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:34 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
until you start the engine then pedal slowly goes to floor - abs light still on - What do you think ??

I believe this is a normal function for this vehicle with ABS.
Mine, with engine running, will allow the brake pedal to slowly drop. Maybe not to the floor but if I keep pushing on it will slowly drop. Its like the ABS system allows excess pressure to slowly bleed off.
Otherwise, my brakes work great. No problems stopping. ABS does what its supposed to.

If your ABS light is still on, you probably have a bad wheel sensor.
Has your speedo or odo quit working?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:41 am 
LOST Member

A normal way to test the vacumn assist is working is to press on the pedal before starting....as the engine starts the pedal should drop a bit under your foot but nowhere near to the floor.

ABS problem can be caused by a bad brake switch....the brake switch has three contacts.....one for brake lamp, one for cruise control and one for ABS. Once removed the switch supposedly cannot be put back in place...need to buy a new one.

The ABS switch as far as I know works in tandem with an auxiliary brake switch which is inside the master brake fluid canister I think...the two switches have to agree with each other. Check if your old master cylinder has a switch installed in it....there should also be a 1K Ohm resistor across the connector inside the canister....at least on newer models. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply's guys - looks like I have something on for the weekend after all !