It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sasquatch Battery Tray, Group 65 Battery and Provent 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm 
LOST Member

Is anyone running a Sasquatch Battery Tray, Group 65 Battery and Provent 200? I'm interested in upsizing to a group 65 battery with a Sasquatch battery tray, but I am concerned It won't fit with the Provent 200. I have the Provent located in the typical location behind the battery. The cap of the Provent is about 3/16" from the master cylinder.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

Post subject: Re: Sasquatch Battery Tray, Group 65 Battery and Provent 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:
Is anyone running a Sasquatch Battery Tray, Group 65 Battery and Provent 200? I'm interested in upsizing to a group 65 battery with a Sasquatch battery tray, but I am concerned It won't fit with the Provent 200. I have the Provent located in the typical location behind the battery. The cap of the Provent is about 3/16" from the master cylinder.

I thought most CRD owners are mounting the Provent 200 on the passenger side of the engine bay, close to the coolant overflow tank. Are there any advantages to installing the Provent 200 by the master cylinder? Seriously curious here; if it is better where you mounted it, I would like to know.

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 pm 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
95Z28A4 wrote:

I though most CRD owners are mounting the Provent 200 on the passenger side of the engine bay, close to the coolant overflow tank. Are there any advantages to installing the Provent 200 by the master cylinder? Seriously curious here; if it is better where you mounted it, I would like to know.

I've seen more installations on the driver's side by the master cylinder. I think it's easier to mount and route the drain hose on the driver's side. But, you could be correct. More CRD owners may be mounting them on the passenger side.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:53 pm 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
95Z28A4 wrote:

I though most CRD owners are mounting the Provent 200 on the passenger side of the engine bay, close to the coolant overflow tank. Are there any advantages to installing the Provent 200 by the master cylinder? Seriously curious here; if it is better where you mounted it, I would like to know.

I've seen more installations on the driver's side by the master cylinder. I think it's easier to mount and route the drain hose on the driver's side. But, you could be correct. More CRD owners may be mounting them on the passenger side.

I dont recall it sitting any farther back towards the firewall than the OE battery and mount. There is a flange on the back but you might be able to work around it, or even mount it there. I have Provent that I havent installed yet I will take a look and see how it fits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 pm 

Many including myself have mounted the ProVent 200 filter on the passenger side next to the turbo vacuum control station!
I have secondary fuel filter mounted next to the master cylinder and I have the Sasquatch gp 65 battery tray!

:SOMBRERO:

ImageImage

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:09 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Many including myself have mounted the ProVent 200 filter on the passenger side next to the turbo vacuum control station!
I have secondary fuel filter mounted next to the master cylinder and I have the Sasquatch gp 65 battery tray!

I really like that setup you have with the Provent by the coolant overflow tank and the secondary filter by the factory one. It does seem like it would make replacing the primary filter a bit difficult, but considering the limited space available, it appears to work out pretty well overall.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 am 
LOST Addict

Its no harder to change primary fuel filter, except for removing tow extra nuts that are easier to get to than primary on mine done in similar fashion. Just allow enough hose to move secondary out some to get to the original filter mounting nuts. While you are changing things make the hose to primary filter longer and you can undo water sensor and pull whole thing out the top to make it easier but i would loosen filter a little before pulling head off mounting bracket. I change both the primary and secondary filters at same time anyway.

I have provent to be installed soon also and plan to put it where WW did.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
Its no harder to change primary fuel filter, except for removing tow extra nuts that are easier to get to than primary on mine done in similar fashion. Just allow enough hose to move secondary out some to get to the original filter mounting nuts. While you are changing things make the hose to primary filter longer and you can undo water sensor and pull whole thing out the top to make it easier but i would loosen filter a little before pulling head off mounting bracket. I change both the primary and secondary filters at same time anyway.

I have provent to be installed soon also and plan to put it where WW did.

I made a simple bracket out of some 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock and bolted it to the existing bracket that the turbo vacuum modulator and reservoir attaches to, and then bolted the Provent filter mount to it.

From a couple of my pictures you can see the bracket to the side of the Provent housing:

Image Image

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:46 pm 

joe_ wrote:
It does seem like it would make replacing the primary filter a bit difficult, but considering the limited space available, it appears to work out pretty well overall.

Not at all with the way I mounted the secondary filter head on an extended bracket away from the OEM filter head and up higher on the firewall.
The bracket actually bolts to the OEM filter head attachment studs and I made a 1/4" square tubing brace that goes down and screws onto to a mounting stud for the ABS controller to support the weight of the big secondary filter. :wink:

If you change both filters at the same time and remove the secondary one first, it is actually makes it no harder to change the primary filter than it was before adding the secondary filter as these closeup shots should reveal. :mrgreen:

There is still several inches of clearance between the secondary filter and the battery!

Image Image

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:28 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:

ImageImage

What hose are you using for the Provent? The fuel/oil rated hose here locally was like $20 a foot or something ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:37 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

What hose are you using for the Provent? The fuel/oil rated hose here locally was like $20 a foot or something ridiculous.

Something cheap that will hold up to the heat and last forever! I got tired of the rubber and plastic hoses not holding their shape and swelling up.
That vapor coming out of the CCV get HOT at normal operating temperature!!!! :shock:

Built this out of 3/4" copper pipe and wrapped it with AC copper pipe insulation! Using high temperature connectors on each end!

This is what is looked like before I wrapped it! Did it last winter, it has held up perfect through the summer heat, pulling a 3k loaded trailer and a long trip to FL and back!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I used reinforced clear vinyl hose from Home Depot.
It will not soften or deteriorate from the oil.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 am 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:

You mean the hose that has the cross-hatch pattern of white fabric re-enforcement that you can clearly see through the hose? If so, I was not aware that the hose you are referring to was resistant to crankcase fumes and waste oil combined with the elevated temperatures. If it works, it works, I suppose.

I really like what WWDiesel has done with his copper pipe set-up, though.... very steam-punky! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 am 

flash7210 wrote:

Flash, I tried the clear vinyl reinforced hose for a while after ditching the premium heater hose and I liked it a lot, but it kept collapsing in the bend around the coolant reservoir tank when it got hot and I got real concerned about it possibly closing off enough to restrict vapor flow. :o
Did not want to chance that so that is when I decided to build the copper tubing pipe with materials I had on hand!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I wonder if a group H8 (group 49) with 900 cc and more reserve than group 65 would fit in tray its only about 2 inches longer weighs 8 lbs more.
The 31P I have on my kubota m9000 tractor has 950 CCA but about 2 inches taller than H8 but since its designated a commercial battery it only has 12 month or 18 month warranty @ $99 including tax with the online 10 percent off coupon at batteries plus.

Guess I will try the 31p from tractor to see if it will fit before i buy another optima. I assume the plates are thicker and certainly vibration resistant on a battery meant for a tractor.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:19 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
I wonder if a group H8 (group 49) with 900 cc and more reserve than group 65 would fit in tray its only about 2 inches longer weighs 8 lbs more.
The 31P I have on my kubota m9000 tractor has 950 CCA but about 2 inches taller than H8 but since its designated a commercial battery it only has 12 month or 18 month warranty @ $99 including tax with the online 10 percent off coupon at batteries plus.

Guess I will try the 31p from tractor to see if it will fit before i buy another optima. I assume the plates are thicker and certainly vibration resistant on a battery meant for a tractor.

The GP 49 will not fit due to being 15 inches long. Way too long to fit in the space allowed!
The GP 31P will not work due to being why to high at 9 7/16"! If you do happen to set it in the battery tray, (it will fit) just be sure and do not try and close the hood! :roll:

This is a good site if you want to view battery group sizes/dimensions, etc...

BCI Group Numbers and Dimensions

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:07 pm 
LOST Addict

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1HIRPU7B2KWK7/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01F2NZ6RQ

I just wanted to share this. For some reason I was looking at the provent on amazon and someone with a CRD posted some pics of their install. I like it in front of the airbox so I may try this. The only thing that sucks about this is i think he may have removed the intake tube to fit it in place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1HIRPU7B2KWK7/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01F2NZ6RQ

I just wanted to share this. For some reason I was looking at the provent on amazon and someone with a CRD posted some pics of their install. I like it in front of the airbox so I may try this. The only thing that sucks about this is i think he may have removed the intake tube to fit it in place.

Interesting location! I see in one of the pictures he drilled a bunch of holes in the lower air box face. Looks like a bunch of about 1/2" holes?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the replies. I used Gates 3/4" 30R7 fuel hose for the Provent. I swedged up to 1" at the provent with PVC hose barbs and reinforced vinyl hose. I installed the Provent at 46k Miles. The CRD now has 149k miles on the original hoses without any issues.