It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valve cover/intake R&R tricks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:11 pm 
LOST Member

I'm removing my valve cover/ intake to install ARP studs and new rockers and I remember someone here has a trick using pieces of plastic conduit to hold the valve cover/intake above the rocker-lifters.

Been searching around without luck for the thread. Does anyone remember where that might be?

Post subject: Re: Valve cover/intake R&R tricks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 pm 

turblediesel wrote:
I'm removing my valve cover/ intake to install ARP studs and new rockers and I remember someone here has a trick using pieces of plastic conduit to hold the valve cover/intake above the rocker-lifters.
Been searching around without luck for the thread. Does anyone remember where that might be?

This owner used long studs to align it straight down on the rockers which is what several have recommended in the past.
Could not find anything about using plastic conduit! Did find some references to tying up "plastic wire conduit" when R&R the rocker cover...

see this thread on using long studs:

viewtopic.php?p=904216#p904216

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:25 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the thread reference. Maybe I was imagining the conduit trick. I did use different sized wood blocks to lift the "valve cover..." off the head as well as a guide pin up front to limit travel. I made several guide pins and I'll shorten two of them after I do some measuring. I'll be measuring and cutting wood blocks for the reinstallation and future work.

It looks good inside. None of the roller pins seem loose although new roller/rocker/lifters are going in. The intake goop is mostly where the intake elbow connects. The elbow itself was half plugged. No EHM or Provent for the 75,000 miles. Adding a Provent as part of my endless timing belt change.

Happy to be making slow progress after being sidelined with medical hobbies for the 3-4 years this thing's been sitting in my shop. Very thankfull for all the good advice I've found here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:31 am 

turblediesel wrote:
Thanks for the thread reference. Maybe I was imagining the conduit trick. I did use different sized wood blocks to lift the "valve cover..." off the head as well as a guide pin up front to limit travel. I made several guide pins and I'll shorten two of them after I do some measuring. I'll be measuring and cutting wood blocks for the reinstallation and future work.

It looks good inside. None of the roller pins seem loose although new roller/rocker/lifters are going in. The intake goop is mostly where the intake elbow connects. The elbow itself was half plugged. No EHM or Provent for the 75,000 miles. Adding a Provent as part of my endless timing belt change.

Happy to be making slow progress after being sidelined with medical hobbies for the 3-4 years this thing's been sitting in my shop. Very thankfull for all the good advice I've found here.

Good for you! Working and tinkering on vehicles can be very medicinal at times! :rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
turblediesel wrote:

Good for you! Working and tinkering on vehicles can be very medicinal at times! :rockon:

Unless its a Liberty CRD, then it requires MEDICATION at times... :-)r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
LOST Member

Plenty of theraputic treatment and tinkering ahead for me. I'm 2 Jeeps, 4 Fords, 2 Audis, and 9.5 bikes behind the curve and I need more beer boxes so my plan is to be patient and medicate often.

I'll post "block" dimensions in awhile after a successful reinstallation. Didn't knock any rockers off on the removal so I'm hopeful the re-install will go well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm 

APC9199 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Working and tinkering on vehicles can be very medicinal at times! :rockon:

Unless its a Liberty CRD, then it requires MEDICATION at times... :-)r

For you or the Jeep? :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo