It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nasty little fuel sucker... tripped tranmission and gremlins
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

An update on some bizarro things on my libby. When I got it, I followed the newb guide (kudos to everyone who has ever contributed) Oil change, new air filter, new fuel filter check, (new OME Springs and Bilstien struts just for good measure), new thermostat check. Then suddenly loss of power in the transmission, randomly. As in letting off the gas going down a hill tripped it, turning on lights tripped it, shifting on the freeway tripped it, you get the point. I cleaned the MAS sensor and thought maybe it was damaged so bought the GMC one (thank you for saving me a couple of Bens).

I finally pegged it down that when I pushed the primer after any of these issues, there was air in the head of the filter. I pulled off the housing and tightened the filter again... Same problems. It seemed if I primed every couple of days no problems were happening until the final straw, pulled up to a gas station and couldn't restart until I primed. Also noted was black smoke out the pipe under hard acceleration, and haze in the headlights behind me at night.

So at the suggestion from several folks on here I replaced the fuel pump. It was far less daunting than I thought it would be. The biggest problem was either lifting the carpet or running 2 wires into the harness (and that was much easier than I thought). It was also far less expensive ($150 total) using the guide to order the right pump ($122 Carter via rockauto), 6ft of #18 braided wire ($4.50 home depot) and the pins ($4 Apex pins Jameco). About 3-4 hours later and you can have on installed and put back together. And it would take much longer, but for the great folks on here that have written the incredible instructions. To you all I say thank you!

Jeeps up going great so far :JEEPIN: and the pump prime button is hard as a rock. No drips of diesel. And surprisingly, I cannot get the black smoke even under hard acceleration.

Post subject: Re: Nasty little fuel sucker... tripped tranmission and grem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm 

jophi wrote:
An update on some bizarro things on my libby. When I got it, I followed the newb guide (kudos to everyone who has ever contributed) Oil change, new air filter, new fuel filter check, (new OME Springs and Bilstien struts just for good measure), new thermostat check. Then suddenly loss of power in the transmission, randomly. As in letting off the gas going down a hill tripped it, turning on lights tripped it, shifting on the freeway tripped it, you get the point. I cleaned the MAS sensor and thought maybe it was damaged so bought the GMC one (thank you for saving me a couple of Bens).

I finally pegged it down that when I pushed the primer after any of these issues, there was air in the head of the filter. I pulled off the housing and tightened the filter again... Same problems. It seemed if I primed every couple of days no problems were happening until the final straw, pulled up to a gas station and couldn't restart until I primed. Also noted was black smoke out the pipe under hard acceleration, and haze in the headlights behind me at night.

So at the suggestion from several folks on here I replaced the fuel pump. It was far less daunting than I thought it would be. The biggest problem was either lifting the carpet or running 2 wires into the harness (and that was much easier than I thought). It was also far less expensive ($150 total) using the guide to order the right pump ($122 Carter via rockauto), 6ft of #18 braided wire ($4.50 home depot) and the pins ($4 Apex pins Jameco). About 3-4 hours later and you can have on installed and put back together. And it would take much longer, but for the great folks on here that have written the incredible instructions. To you all I say thank you!

Jeeps up going great so far :JEEPIN: and the pump prime button is hard as a rock. No drips of diesel. And surprisingly, I cannot get the black smoke even under hard acceleration.

Good for you, and your Jeep will thank you for it in better performance all the way around! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Nasty little fuel sucker... tripped tranmission and grem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, the in-tank pump is not bad at all. And like you said, the most tedious part was the wiring just because you have to take the interior apart. Dropping the tank and swapping the pump was not bad at all.