It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5 qt synthetic oil less than $20 at Walmart
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 am 
LOST Member

I know some people don't like Walmart, but I'm shopping there for oil! I needed some 0W-40 for my Winter oil change and looked at the website and saw that Mobile One was less than $20, and Rotella T6 was about $2 less! Although the store price is about $5 more, the store manager approved the lower website price with no issues...I ended up walking out with two 0W-40s and two Rotella T6s for about $85 total. Or spend more than $35 and they'll ship it to your house for free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/23636902

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

Post subject: Re: 5 qt synthetic oil less than $20 at Walmart
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
European car formula is a VERY OLD diesel rating and the absolute minimum rated that we are supposed to use in the CRD - the CF rating dates back to the mid 90s, and in 2005 the current ratings were CH or better. I personally would not use this in a CRD, and would not go longer than 5000 miles on an oil change no matter what oil is used. It just is not worth the risk.

From Mobil's website, the "European Car Formula" is just packaging - it is the same as their base full synthetic product.
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
VW 502 00/505 00
PORSCHE A40
According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is of the following quality:
API CF <<<THIS IS THE DIESEL RATING AND THE ONLY ONE SHOWN
VW 503 01

Their claim on Walmart's page that it is rated for diesels... Is only true if you are talking about VERY old diesels. I would not use this in the common rail CRD. They usually will price match the website and have sales on occasion for Delvac-1 or Delvac ESP (both of which are the same as Turbo Diesel Truck and a very good oil for the CRD. The Rotella T6 you got is the other accepted option.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 am 
LOST Member

Yep, I use Rotella T6 in all my other diesels (except for the VW while it was still under warranty), but I try to give the Jeep every benefit heading into the cold weather...nothing like walking out to the parking lot after a 10 hr day of 20 deg F weather and pleading with your Maker to let the darn engine fire up on the first try. Luckily I have other vehicles to drive if it gets REAL cold.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:29 am 

Not to start another endless oil debate, but CF-4 may not be the best oil to use in a Jeep CRD! :roll:
If it is not good for later model engines, it probably is not the best stuff to put in earlier model engines either....
These engines need all the advantages they can get!!! :roll:

If the oil is not API rated CJ-4 or better, I simply would not recommend it!

From API (American Petroleum Institute):
CF-4--- Obsolete
CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 2009.

CJ-4--- Current
For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 non-road exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust after treatment system durability and/or drain interval. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

CGman wrote:

I would not use that oil. Instead, find Rotella T6, Mobil Delvac 1, or Total Quartz 9000.

Also, 5W-40 is preferred over 0W-40.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Last week at my local walmart I saw Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 for $20.99 per gallon.
Mobil1 turbo diesel truck 5w40 was $24.99 per gallon.
Rotella T6 5w40 was $18.99 per gallon.

Was surprised that the Delvac1 was less than the TDT.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm 
LOST Member

Looks to me like the big change from CF to CJ is the sulfated ash and phosphorus levels had to be reduced to prevent DPF problems, so they can up with some different additives to permit higher soot loadings and help lubricate better since sulfer was reduced.

Also, I'm not sure why there would be a blanket opinion of wanting 5W vs 0W when it's colder than hell outside, especially if it's just regular city driving. (not that I'm planning on being someplace REALLY cold) So yes, I would almost always recommend Rotella T6 over any others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm 
LOST Addict

I think the 5w helps the rockers and turbo bearing last longer. They both wear out too fast on our jeeps. Just like the VW PD/bew cams, heavier oil makes a huge difference. Maybe someone can comment that used 0w for 100k miles or long term anyhow, and then put hands on their turbo and rockers?
What about the Chevron delo 5w40 I just started seeing at Walmart? Is it better or worse than T6? Slightly more expensive. I bought 2 just to research the specs. I'll use it as a flush oil if it sucks.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:59 pm 
LOST Member

Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is good stuff. I've used it for the last few years. My Jeep seems to require less fill at mid-point check vs. T6 I used prior.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 pm 

As long as it is a fully synthetic oil and API rated CJ-4 or better, it should be just fine regardless of brand! There just aren't that many available that meet the all the correct criteria!
As to weight, personally I would never use any oil rated 0W, but I live in the south and never have to deal with the extreme low temperatures that some members in the northern states and Canada have to deal with during the winter.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 am 
LOST Member

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 has $12 per gallon rebates on up to 5 GL until the end of the year. I bought mine on sale at Blain's Farm & Fleet for $19.99. $12 rebate brings it to $7.99/GL.

https://www.mobil.com/mobil-delvac/~/me ... -pr-v2.jpg

https://www.mobil.com/mobil-delvac/~/me ... een-xl.jpg

Save up to $60 on Mobil Delvac™ engine oils

Promotion ends: Dec. 31, 2017

Get up to $60 back when you protect your big rig or pickup with Mobil Delvac engine oils. With our limited-time offer, choose from:
•Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP or Mobil Delvac 1™ LE: $60 rebate with purchase of a 5-gallon pail or $12 rebate with purchase of a 1-gallon jug
•Mobil Delvac™ 1300 Super or Mobil Delvac™ Extreme: $35 rebate with purchase of a 5-gallon pail or $7 rebate with purchase of a 1-gallon jug

Offer valid until Dec. 31, 2017. Some restrictions apply. See participating retailers.

Shell Rotella products have a $5/GL rebate until Dec 31, 2017.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 am 

joelukex4 wrote:
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 has $12 per gallon rebates on up to 5 GL until the end of the year. I bought mine on sale at Blain's Farm & Fleet for $19.99. $12 rebate brings it to $7.99/GL.
•Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP or Mobil Delvac 1™ LE: $60 rebate with purchase of a 5-gallon pail or $12 rebate with purchase of a 1-gallon jug
•Mobil Delvac™ 1300 Super or Mobil Delvac™ Extreme: $35 rebate with purchase of a 5-gallon pail or $7 rebate with purchase of a 1-gallon jug
Offer valid until Dec. 31, 2017. Some restrictions apply. See participating retailers.

That is a good find! :wink:

In my area it says Autozone, Advance, O'reillys, NAPA, and Walmart are all participating retailers..

Here are the full details for those who what to know:> https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil ... -promotion

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:52 pm 
LOST Addict

wilco549 wrote:
Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is good stuff. I've used it for the last few years. My Jeep seems to require less fill at mid-point check vs. T6 I used prior.

Thanks for the report. I'll have to see how these prices level out, as I don't like to change chemistry of the engine.
If that mobile is the right weight I'm going to get a ton of it, thanks!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

Picked up a gallon of the NEW Chevron Delo Full Syn at Walmart, $19.95

IT NOW HAS THE NEWEST RATING CK-4 The jug has a RED cap.

I've ran This oil (Delo full Syn) for 4 years now. 6 quarts per change with filter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 pm 
LOST Member

The new Delo is the XSP 5W40. You previously ran the Delo LE 5W40.

You can't go wrong with any of the four products, Shell Rottella T6 5W40, Delo XSP 5W40, Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 or Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40.

Right now the Mobil Delvac has a $12/GL rebate and Shell Rotella T6 has a $5/GL rebate.

The Delo rebate program ended 9/30/17.