It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strut don't fit lift puck.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all.... HELP !! I have a 05 CRD liberty with a 3" Rough Country suspension lift. Lift has been on since 08. went this weekend to do some maintenance that included new front Monroe quick struts. The issue is that the underside of the strut where the puck mounts is longer. So the puck don't slide to the rite spot. Trying to install the new strut with the puck wont happen. The difference in the puck position is over an inch. The struts are the Monroe Quick strut 271577L / 271577R.

Post subject: Re: Strut don't fit lift puck.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 pm 

hammerboyone wrote:
Hello all.... HELP !! I have a 05 CRD liberty with a 3" Rough Country suspension lift. Lift has been on since 08. went this weekend to do some maintenance that included new front Monroe quick struts. The issue is that the underside of the strut where the puck mounts is longer. So the puck don't slide to the rite spot. Trying to install the new strut with the puck wont happen. The difference in the puck position is over an inch. The struts are the Monroe Quick strut 271577L / 271577R.

According to Monroe's web site, those are the correct part numbers so they should fit! :shock:
What are you calling the "puck"?
Got a picture of the problem or issue your are speaking of?
The strut simply slides into the bottom clevis device once you loosen it...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

WW. the part is the rite direct fit for the vehicle. would fit rite in if i didn't have a lift. The puck i refer to is the spacer puck in the front that is used in the lift. lift is the Rough Country 3" lift. (lift model @ 692.20). Spacer puck fits between the lower strut housing and the clevis. fit with no problem on the OEM strut. Don't fit rite on the New strut.I have pics but having trouble loading them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 pm 

hammerboyone wrote:
WW. the part is the rite direct fit for the vehicle. would fit rite in if i didn't have a lift. The puck i refer to is the spacer puck in the front that is used in the lift. lift is the Rough Country 3" lift. (lift model @ 692.20). Spacer puck fits between the lower strut housing and the clevis. fit with no problem on the OEM strut. Don't fit rite on the New strut.I have pics but having trouble loading them.

Having a little trouble understanding how the OEM strut fit the puck & clevis and the new one will not. Have you measured the base of both struts with a caliper, and if so what is there a difference in diameters?

Looked up the install instructions for the RC lift, is this a step you may be missing???

11. Using a hand grinder, remove the spline on the stock strut body as shown in Figure 9.

This is a download link for install instructions for the RC lift. You may want to review them?
> https://www.morris4x4center.com/downloa ... c_692s.pdf

If you can afford it, you may be much better off going to a lift by Jeepin by Al > http://jeepinbyal.com/
or less money
going with some good quality OME (Old Man Emu) springs with Bilstein or OME Shocks?

Both of these online vendors sale kits:
http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-liberty-ome.html
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... berty-crd/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

WW.... Thanks for time ... After quite a few calls. I know what the problem is.. The factory strut bottom end is flat,and so is the inside of the spacer puck.The new Monroe struts have a rounded or tapered end. That is what is keeping the spacer from slipping into the correct position. The Rough Country tech told me that i need to go back to a OEM strut in order to keep the spacer in the front.. Like i really want to spend that kind of money on a strut. The conversation i had with a local shop gave me several other options. #1.. Mill out the inside of the spacer as to accept the rounded strut bottom end. #2.. Remove the spacer all together and install a 2" leveling kit to the top of the strut in order to make everything the same height. #3.. Swap out the strut with new 2" over lift struts. As i already have new struts im going with option #2. I've ordered a leveling kit and will see how it works. Yet i am still going to have a friend mill the inside of the spacer out also just in case i need to go back to it. Over the years the Rough Country lift that is on my truck has been fine for what it is used for. I just cant believe how blind two guys can become as not to notice the simple difference of the strut bottoms. :dizzy: To much work not enough play. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm 

hammerboyone wrote:
WW.... Thanks for time ... After quite a few calls. I know what the problem is.. The factory strut bottom end is flat,and so is the inside of the spacer puck.The new Monroe struts have a rounded or tapered end. That is what is keeping the spacer from slipping into the correct position. The Rough Country tech told me that i need to go back to a OEM strut in order to keep the spacer in the front.. Like i really want to spend that kind of money on a strut. The conversation i had with a local shop gave me several other options. #1.. Mill out the inside of the spacer as to accept the rounded strut bottom end. #2.. Remove the spacer all together and install a 2" leveling kit to the top of the strut in order to make everything the same height. #3.. Swap out the strut with new 2" over lift struts. As i already have new struts im going with option #2. I've ordered a leveling kit and will see how it works. Yet i am still going to have a friend mill the inside of the spacer out also just in case i need to go back to it. Over the years the Rough Country lift that is on my truck has been fine for what it is used for. I just cant believe how blind two guys can become as not to notice the simple difference of the strut bottoms. :dizzy: To much work not enough play. Thanks again.

That answers that, and it makes sense! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch