It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locked up rear axle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:24 pm 
LOST Member

Another CRD locked up rear axle and sheared off the driveshaft at the rear U-joint this weekend. Have many users had issues with the rear u-joints and ring & pinions in these vehicles? Stared hearing a grinding & squealing noise which kept coming and going up & down hills. Thought it was the torque converter until the driveshaft dropped. Rear axle won't move and had to have it towed. Thoughts on rebuild diff vs rebuilt axle replacement.

Post subject: Re: Locked up rear axle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

joelukex4 wrote:
Stared hearing a grinding & squealing noise which kept coming and going up & down hills.

And you kept on driving.

Wonder why you trashed the rear end,simply stopping when 1st heard could have saved thousands in repair bills.

Problem these days that people just keep driving when a strange noise appears and just wait for the major failure that will ensue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:22 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:
Stared hearing a grinding & squealing noise which kept coming and going up & down hills.

And you kept on driving.

Wonder why you trashed the rear end,simply stopping when 1st heard could have saved thousands in repair bills.

Problem these days that people just keep driving when a strange noise appears and just wait for the major failure that will ensue.

Totally agree TJ! Unreal! :shock: :dizzy:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:33 am 
LOST Member

Junkyard replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

New used junkyard axle. Less miles for $250. Changed, running and quiet. Cheaper than rebuilding the pumpkin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 am 
LOST Member

In the middle of a junkyard replacement myself. Actually Craigslist came through just in time. $200 and he gave me a bunch of extra parts. Read up on the differences between years. Newer ones have 2 speed sensor, older only one.

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 am 
LOST Addict

JieselDeep wrote:
In the middle of a junkyard replacement myself. Actually Craigslist came through just in time. $200 and he gave me a bunch of extra parts. Read up on the differences between years. Newer ones have 2 speed sensor, older only one.

2005 to 2006 was the changover.

2005 has the single rear sensor, 2006 has the dual rear sensors.

You could swap the backing plates from a 2006 axle onto a 2005 to keep the sensors, but you cannot mount a 2005 pickup in the 2006 pumpkin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

I put one from 2004 gaser with positraction same ratio works fine very easy to change
good luck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am 
LOST Addict

How many miles on the clock for these lock ups? At 200k I'll be checking my backlash...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 pm 
LOST Member

Well, strictly speaking, mine wasn't the fault of backlash directly. I had a pinion nut 'fall off' and can only assume the previous owner had removed it at some point and didn't put locktite on it when he reinstalled it...

Ultimately, when the nut came off, the pinion gear was sucked inside and exploded a few teeth on the gears inside.

I now have a limited slip axle to install and am halfway through the process.

Good luck!

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
How many miles on the clock for these lock ups? At 200k I'll be checking my backlash...

My brother's rear end went at 110K. I am still good at 140K.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:55 pm 

I replaced my open carrier at 159k with a new TracLock unit! Replaced both carrier bearings and axle bearings while I had it apart. Both pinion bearings looked and felt perfect so I did not replace them. Carrier bearings had just a little wear/play in them, so I replaced them both.

But I really believe the rear end would have went on for thousands of more miles had I not done this! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

joelukex4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Here is an interesting find from putting in the new rear axle. The replacement axle came from a 2007 Liberty. After installation when pushing the button to turn off overdrive the transmission only drops one gear now. My brother took it in to his dealer to check out the situation and they determined that the sensor on the rear axle must be different in the gas Liberty and only drops the tranny one gear. This means that he is running in 4th gear instead of 3rd with the overdrive off button pushed. This seems to be a much better scenario for towing & pulling when a little more rpm's are necessary. I hate on mine when you disengage overdrive on the highway and the tach is looking at 3500rpms or greater. Now upon disengaging overdrive my brother gets about 500rpm increase.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

joelukex4 wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Here is an interesting find from putting in the new rear axle. The replacement axle came from a 2007 Liberty. After installation when pushing the button to turn off overdrive the transmission only drops one gear now. My brother took it in to his dealer to check out the situation and they determined that the sensor on the rear axle must be different in the gas Liberty and only drops the tranny one gear. This means that he is running in 4th gear instead of 3rd with the overdrive off button pushed. This seems to be a much better scenario for towing & pulling when a little more rpm's are necessary. I hate on mine when you disengage overdrive on the highway and the tach is looking at 3500rpms or greater. Now upon disengaging overdrive my brother gets about 500rpm increase.

2007 was a odd year for the KJ since it was it's last and more KK then KJ.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

joelukex4 wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

That makes no sense.
The gear it drops down to when pushing OD-off is purely a function of the TCM programming. The TCM has no idea what kind of rear axle is in the vehicle and the sensors on the rear axle are purely for ABS and traction control. (edit: and speedo and odo)
Assuming that its the stock TCM, you have to get the vehicle up above 60mph for it to shift into 5th. From there, turning OD-off will drop it down to 3rd.

I'm using a Dodge Ram "hemi" TCM and even though its shift characteristics are slightly different, it too drops to 3rd when OD-off. This hemi TCM has no clue that its in a Jeep Liberty CRD. It just does what its programmed to do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

That's what I thought also. His friend is the service manager at the CDJR dealership. The manager said the signal is taken from the speed sensor on the rear axle.

I believe the axle came from a liberty with an automatic and the gas engines only came with a 4A. Maybe the sensor for the 4 speed is different than the 5A and sends a different signal for the TCM to drop 1 gear. Seems strange to me also but it is a great option.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

joelukex4 wrote:
That's what I thought also. His friend is the service manager at the CDJR dealership. The manager said the signal is taken from the speed sensor on the rear axle.

I believe the axle came from a liberty with an automatic and the gas engines only came with a 4A. Maybe the sensor for the 4 speed is different than the 5A and sends a different signal for the TCM to drop 1 gear. Seems strange to me also but it is a great option.

You say sensor (1) but shouldn't it be sensors, as in two of them?

AFAIK, 06 and 07 Liberty rear axles had two rear wheel speed sensors to support the traction control functions.
2005 and older had only one speed sensor on the rear axle and no traction control, only ABS.

Still doesn't make any sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:13 pm 
LOST Member

You are correct, I should have said 2 sensors as it is a 4 channel ABS system. My '05 has only 1 rear sensor. I don't know how the TCM picks up the vehicle speed based on the ABS sensors but I remember the old days when it was cable in the rear of the tranny. For whatever reason it has changed in his CRD and now only increases about half the rpm's then it used to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

joelukex4 wrote:
You are correct, I should have said 2 sensors as it is a 4 channel ABS system. My '05 has only 1 rear sensor. I don't know how the TCM picks up the vehicle speed based on the ABS sensors but I remember the old days when it was cable in the rear of the tranny. For whatever reason it has changed in his CRD and now only increases about half the rpm's then it used to.

The wheel speed sensors(3 for '05 with ABS,1 for non-ABS and 4 for '06+) all read MPH and that info is sent to the TCM/PCM(ECM)/IC.It's an "average" of all the sensors if you have ABS regardless if you have 3 or 4 sensors,if you do not have ABS you only have 1 sensor on the rear diff that is only for the speedo and TCM('05 and older only).

Hooking up a real scanner and displaying the ABS module live data it will show you each wheel speed in MPH as your driving,you will see the wheel speed difference when you turn hence why it "averages" the speed reading if you have ABS.