It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

How do you feel about stripping out parts that make it 4WD and adding in any needed to make it 2WD?
Poll ended at Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:05 pm
Wow, bad idea! 56%  56%  [ 10 ]
Whatever, I can't see an issue either way. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Nice, do it! Lighten the load. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Other... 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
How did I get here? 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: 4WD vs 2WD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Every 20k I change the front axle fluid. It pours out so clean that it looks new.
I never use 4WD on the Jeep, maybe once a few winters back because of icy roads.
Thank you for sharing in the poll.

Post subject: Re: 4WD vs 2WD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I mean if you dont ever use it then go for it, I would. That is a lot of weight and a lot of drag that you could get rid of.

I dont have the option and use Full-time basically all winter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:34 pm 

Another option: sell the 4WD KJ, buy a 2WD, pocket the difference. 2WD models almost always have lower resale value than 4WD models, so unless you have a ton of mods on a 4WD model that you want to keep, this may be the more effective route.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have 2 2005 crd one is modified to use in winter ei cold weather starting and no ac
two summer truck with no drive shaft from transfer case and gets about 2 miles better gas mileage per gal. this was summer driving using both trucks about 760km per tank both have yeti stage 1 tune
I will just remove front drive shafts this summer see what happens If you have posi it will work very good in winter too
thanks for all the help to all who have put hrs upon hrs so I can have a great truck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dh100m wrote:
I have 2 2005 crd one is modified to use in winter ei cold weather starting and no ac
two summer truck with no drive shaft from transfer case and gets about 2 miles better gas mileage per gal. this was summer driving using both trucks about 760km per tank both have yeti stage 1 tune
I will just remove front drive shafts this summer see what happens If you have posi it will work very good in winter too
thanks for all the help to all who have put hrs upon hrs so I can have a great truck

You can't gain any mpg's by removing the front driveshaft your still turning the front Diff regardless with the driveshaft installed or not and 10lbs driveshaft can not gain you that kind of mileage.

You would have to remove the CV axles also to prevent the front diff from turning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Read here:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81072

Personally, I think that any gains would be negligible and not worth the effort.
If you were in a position where you needed to rebuild the front diff and didn’t have the money to do so, then maybe it would be worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I don’t know, the difference between 2x4 and 4x4 pickups is pretty dramatic, especially on the highway. And at least with the Ford F-150 that includes disconnecting hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
dh100m wrote:

You can't gain any mpg's by removing the front driveshaft your still turning the front Diff regardless with the driveshaft installed or not and 10lbs driveshaft can not gain you that kind of mileage.

You would have to remove the CV axles also to prevent the front diff from turning.

X2, I could see a nice gain if all the components are removed, especially the heavy transfer case. I think most of the gain would be seen in stop and go unless there's some unhealthy bearings in there.
I think it's a great mod if you never use 4wd, but why not buy a $3,000 jetta that gets 46mpg? Well, jetta if you don't tow or need the clearance/cargo.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 pm 

Four wheel drive is not worth a darn till you need it, then there is nothing else like it! :roll:
Sort of like a winch that is rarely used.... :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:
I don’t know, the difference between 2x4 and 4x4 pickups is pretty dramatic, especially on the highway. And at least with the Ford F-150 that includes disconnecting hubs.

There will be difference between a 2wd vehicle and 4wd vehicle of the same make,about 300-1500lbs difference(depending on said vehicle).

Just removing a 10lbs item from a 4wd that does not have any type of front axle disconnects will not see any difference since your still spinning the front diff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

There will be difference between a 2wd vehicle and 4wd vehicle of the same make,about 300-1500lbs difference(depending on said vehicle).

Just removing a 10lbs item from a 4wd that does not have any type of front axle disconnects will not see any difference since your still spinning the front diff.

I do believe that the original poster is considering removing the front diff.

Post subject: 4WD vs 2WD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 am 
LOST Addict

I would expect similar to this for improvement. The non-supercrew F150s weigh about the same as the CRD. The only difference here is the F150 has unlocking hubs so the whole front driveline is disconnected in 2wd. This give the jeep a little advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 am 
LOST Member

I got mine for the 4x4, ABS, and reliability. Two out of three isn't bad. When it's running I use the 4x4 a lot in the winter.

Weight is weight though and you can always put it back in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:

I would expect similar to this for improvement. The non-supercrew F150s weigh about the same as the CRD. The only difference here is the F150 has unlocking hubs so the whole front driveline is disconnected in 2wd. This give the jeep a little advantage.

So I went to fueleconomy.gov to compare 2wd and 4wd Libertys.

2007 Liberty 3.7L auto 4wd = 20 MPG highway
2007 Liberty 3.7L auto 2wd = 21 MPG highway
Both are listed as combined city/hwy 17 MPG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:41 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
So it looks like between 5% and 10% improvement.
For people who drive a lot of highway miles and don't do much offroading, that's pretty significant. Not per tank necessarily, but over a year, it is. With the price of (edit) fuel going up, it's even greater savings.

(edit2) If you never use it, then you've bought something you don't need. Pull the parts while they're still in good shape. Put them on Ebay or Craigslist or other. Sell them for even more savings.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
For people who drive a lot of highway miles and don't do much offroading, that's pretty significant. Not per tank necessarily, but over a year, it is. With the price of (edit) fuel going up, it's even greater savings.

(edit2) If you never use it, then you've bought something you don't need. Pull the parts while they're still in good shape. Put them on Ebay or Craigslist or other. Sell them for even more savings.

Thus making your KJ worthless when you plan on selling it,no dealer would ever take it on trade in without the missing parts re-installed and looking at a law suit selling private party unless you find that 1 idiot that doesn't mind it not being 4wd.

I drove my KJ for almost 2 years with the front diff(and all mounts),both CV axles,and front driveshaft removed and saw zero improvement in mpg's.That was after blowing a CV axle thus cementing the SFA swap,collecting parts for said swap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thx all for the insight.

tjkj2002 wrote:
that 1 idiot that doesn't mind it not being 4wd.

A bit harsh but I understand.
I use my Jeep to pull a small trailer and we seldom see below freezing weather.
It is Dec and currently 41°F (5°C).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Squeeto wrote:
Thx all for the insight.

tjkj2002 wrote:
that 1 idiot that doesn't mind it not being 4wd.

A bit harsh but I understand.
I use my Jeep to pull a small trailer and we seldom see below freezing weather.
It is Dec and currently 41°F (5°C).

It probably makes perfect sense for you if you're going to drive it until it's time to crush it, or if you keep the parts to reinstall them later. I thought doing the same and seeing what kind of mileage I could get out of one, and have it as a dedicated tow rig except winter. Stock old sagged springs ride really soft, and make for a nice lowering. Sounds like a Detroit locker would be really nice for you if you off road a bit

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
tjkj2002 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

Thus making your KJ worthless when you plan on selling it,no dealer would ever take it on trade in without the missing parts re-installed and looking at a law suit selling private party unless you find that 1 idiot that doesn't mind it not being 4wd.

I drove my KJ for almost 2 years with the front diff(and all mounts),both CV axles,and front driveshaft removed and saw zero improvement in mpg's.That was after blowing a CV axle thus cementing the SFA swap,collecting parts for said swap.

Mountainman wrote:
It probably makes perfect sense for you if you're going to drive it until it's time to crush it, or if you keep the parts to reinstall them later. I thought doing the same and seeing what kind of mileage I could get out of one, and have it as a dedicated tow rig except winter. Stock old sagged springs ride really soft, and make for a nice lowering. Sounds like a Detroit locker would be really nice for you if you off road a bit

Exactly. And tjkj2002 is also correct if you don't plan to drive it till it falls completely apart. I failed to consider the instance of those who would trade it in, as that's not something I would consider. But if you are that 1 person and already own a 4wd, but never use it, it makes more sense than trading it in for a 2wd of unknown provenance.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set