It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20"x10"x3.5" Bell Intercooler installed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I finally got around to installing my new intercooler. I bought it in July and its been sitting in the garage torturing me since then.

Here it is behind the grill. I positioned it so it was as high as possible without being blocked by the upper black plastic support behind the chrome insert. This is so that some fresh air can flow under it direct to the radiator/trans cooler. You can also see I trimmed some of the plastic in the center to open up flow to the core.

Here is how I mounted the top. Its a piece of 1x1" angle iron which is bolted along the width of the radiator support. It took a hammer and some persuasion to flatten out the front of the rad support to line up with the angle iron. I drilled out the rivets on the vertical support/hood latch in the center and put in spacers to move the support forward and open up some extra space because the way the IC piping had to be run required the intercooler sit farther forward than I would have liked. Spacing the support forward allows the Intercooler to sit almost vertical. One issue this created was interference of the support/hood latch with the bottom side of the hood so that it wont fully close. It clicks into the safety latch, but doesnt full engage, so I am going to drill two new holes lower down and chop off an inch or two. Also notice that I pushed the AC Condenser back against the radiator. I did this by just pushing it back and working some of the hard pipes which bend pretty easily. the tabs on the condenser slide into the mounts on the lower radiator.

And I reused the Mishimoto CAC hoses, at least temporarily. I used 2" and 2.5" exhaust pipe to connect the mishimoto hoses to the elbows on the intercooler. On the drivers side I had to flip the CAC hose to get a better angle. It runs partially under the Sasquatch battery tray. Ultimately I will try to weld up my own rigid hoses out of exhaust piping. I may reduce both sides to 2" lines to cut down on internal volume of the intake system. Believe it or not, but our jeeps arnt that powerful and dont flow a lot of air so 2" is perfectly adequate for the whooping 200hp.

Passenger Side:

Drivers Side Connection:

Drivers side under battery tray

So far so good. One thing I had noticed with the stock CAC, which continues to occur with this one, is that it seems the IAT sensor gets heat soaked and i think its related to the coolant temp. My IAT will settle at around 85F even if I am coasting down a mountain at 60 mph with no throttle or boost on a freezing cold day. The difference is that with the OLD CAC is as soon as I am back on the throttle making boost, the temps would good up very quickly and would routinely get up to 170F+ on hills in a matter of 15-20 seconds.

It was a high of 25 degrees today so its not exactly a good test of the performance, but I couldnt get the thing to budge much over the 85F IAT that the jeep likes to sit at. Even long pulls at 15-20 psi resulted in almost no change. It would go up if I was in stop and go in town(high throttle spurts + low speeds), since air flow was limited(i am currently running an electric fan).

I will bring it over to one of the big hills around here tomorrow and see how hot it gets.

Last edited by mass-hole on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 20"x10"x3.5" Bell Intercooler installed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:01 am 
LOST Addict

Very nice! I'm determined to do the same thing NEXT time my stock crap IC leaks. I hope this solves your overheating issue. It will be an amazing mod for people that haul heavy trailers in the west if so.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:55 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
I only just saw reference to this in the 'DIY ECU Flash' thread, and the pix are missing.

Do you still have access to them anywhere that you could share?

Any longer-term quality of life kind of updates on the mod?

Thanks for any additional info you might have.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:59 pm 
LOST Addict

crasher wrote:
I only just saw reference to this in the 'DIY ECU Flash' thread, and the pix are missing.

Hmmm, weird. I will see where I hosted them and try to fix it.

Zero issues other than I am using the mishimoto hot side CAC hose and just bent it down to meet up with the intercooler and it puts it scarily close to the viscous heater pulley. You should either get custom hard pipes put together, which I am gunna do, or delete the viscous heater, which I may also do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

I missed this thread the first time around, I am also curious about the pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 am 
LOST Addict

It looks like I used postimg.org to host them, which was that free site that people started using when photobucket decided to start charging, but it looks like that site is completely down. I have to try and chase down the originals and reupload them somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:50 pm 
LOST Addict

crasher wrote:

All set. Pictures should be working now.