It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: engine stalls @ 1500rpm/ key off, restart, repeat!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have tried everything I can think of, and about everything I have read. 218k, all stock, I found a small hole in the fuel line today. Cut it out and installed a lift pump. No change. Still starts as it always did. Just when you drive off as soon as it hits 1500 rpm the engine stop running. Will not restart unless you turn the key off and then it cranks right up. Sounds normal, drives normal, until you hit 1500. Crank sensor was changed about three weeks ago.
Just maybe?
I think I will change it again.

This is all you guys and gals fault. Without this community I would never have bough 6 of these things!

Post subject: Re: engine stalls @ 1500rpm/ key off, restart, repeat!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Have you scanned for codes?
Maybe it’s the cam sensor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

No codes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

MPROP valve at back of CP3 pump , that can starve fuel supply ,,,,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I hope not, but it just might be. I will try the cam sensor in the morning. Thx guys.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Changed cam sensor this morning. No change, still dies upon reaching 1500 rpm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 pm 
LOST Member

Can you get a fuel rail pressure reading with a scan tool (or the Torque app on an Android phone/tablet + a bluetooth OBD II adapter)? It could be some sort of failsafe ... possibly either it's not able to read the rail pressure, or the rail pressure is rising too high.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:11 pm 
LOST Addict

What about revving it in neutral?
Will it still cut off at 1500 rpm?

There is really no reason for it to cut off at a specific rpm. Even if it is a fuel supply problem. Fuel pressure to the injectors is driven by engine load. When in neutral there is no load, so there should be plenty of fuel supply.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I changed the Mprop, no help, but now I have a cose p0093. In addition to p0671, 72, 73, 74. Which weird because it 30 and windy out and it starts right up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

The glow plug codes could be due to loose connections. Either at the plugs themselves or at the relay.
The P0093 is most likely a loose connection at the fuel rail pressure sensor. Make sure its firmly connected.

And just to rule it out, check battery voltage and alternator charging voltage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks to everyone that responded! I have fiddled with every sensor on this engine. Either by swapping them out with another and or bench testing. I cannot find a thing wrong. A hour ago I changed the fuel rail again, had to crank for ever to get the air out and BINGO it now smokes the tires on dry pavement. My only guess is the pressure sensor or the pressure control at the end of the rail was defective. I know it will not start without the control plugged in, so could it be that was killing the engine after 1500 rpm?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If it wasn't plugged in, it would never start or even fire.

It is the application of PWM voltage that allows the fuel pressure to increase at all. Without it functioning, (for whatever reason), the fuel pressure solenoid becomes a fuel bypass and no pressure is possible.

The fuel volume solenoid, (some refer to as MPROP), is the exact opposite. No PWM voltage results in unregulated volume and potential extreme overpressure.(If the fuel pressure solenoid is functioning but is unable to fully compensate)

The Fuel Pressure Sensor is the most likely culprit. One More thing.. The fuel pressure sensor from a dodge cummins, is the exact same part with the exact same calibration as the Jeep part, but is WAY cheaper (about $50) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLS3QYW/ref=pe_850140_228900710_em_1p_1_ti

A close second, is the Fuel Pressure Solenoid (back end of the fuel rail) would be a close second. GDE has found some of these sticking and causing fuel pressure fluctuation, dying, and whatnot. Mine had like failure, and I dissected it to find out why. I replaced it with a Duramax 6.6L GM # 12611872 and at great savings, it works flawlessly.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you GordnadoCRD, I really appreciate saving cash!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
It is the application of PWM voltage that allows the fuel pressure to increase at all. Without it functioning, (for whatever reason), the fuel pressure solenoid becomes a fuel bypass and no pressure is possible.
The fuel volume solenoid, (some refer to as MPROP), is the exact opposite. No PWM voltage results in unregulated volume and potential extreme overpressure.(If the fuel pressure solenoid is functioning but is unable to fully compensate)
The Fuel Pressure Sensor is the most likely culprit. One More thing.. The fuel pressure sensor from a dodge cummins, is the exact same part with the exact same calibration as the Jeep part, but is WAY cheaper (about $50) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLS3QYW/ref=pe_850140_228900710_em_1p_1_ti
A close second, is the Fuel Pressure Solenoid (back end of the fuel rail) would be a close second. GDE has found some of these sticking and causing fuel pressure fluctuation, dying, and whatnot. Mine had like failure, and I dissected it to find out why. I replaced it with a Duramax 6.6L GM # 12611872 and at great savings, it works flawlessly.

Hi Gordon, A clarification if you can?
I have this OEM number listed for the Fuel Pressure Sensor: Fuel Pressure Solenoid - 05159964AA
Slightly different than the PN number listed on the Amazon site you shared, i.e. 5093112AA
If you can enlighten us on this, that would be great! Having alternate PN's available is always a good thing for everyone, especially if the cost is much less and it performs exactly the same as the OEM part!!! (I do collect them, PN's, for posterity :wink: )
Thanks,

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I don’t know about the Cummins, but I used a duramax pressure sensor.
Sorry, didn’t save the part number but it was Bosch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:03 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

Hi Gordon, A clarification if you can?
I have this OEM number listed for the Fuel Pressure Sensor: Fuel Pressure Solenoid - 05159964AA
Slightly different than the PN number listed on the Amazon site you shared, i.e. 5093112AA
If you can enlighten us on this, that would be great! Having alternate PN's available is always a good thing for everyone, especially if the cost is much less and it performs exactly the same as the OEM part!!! (I do collect them, PN's, for posterity :wink: )
Thanks,

The number you list, is the Jeep part#
The part I linked is the Dodge Cummins part#
Both parts work perfectly. And by perfectly, I mean within 10psi when run at the same RPM. That is both PSI and RPM as read with the (digital) Snap-On tool via OBD2, not an eyeball estimate on dial gauges.
Believe me, I am sincerely grateful for your collection of part numbers! It has saved me significantly on both money and time. :BANANA:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I ended up changing 2 rails with the solenoid on my 2010 Sprinter, one cause low rail pressure, the next caused high rail pressure. I also had a problem on my 2006 Libby, I fixed it by unplugging the solenoid at high RPMs to blow out any possible blockage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am 

Just in case anyone happens to need this part in the future;
these are the part numbers & notes I have on file:

*Mopar PN's:
Fuel Pressure Regulator – (on the back of the CP3 High Pressure Injection Pump (AKA mprop Fuel Pressure Valve, Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator, etc.)
Mopar PN: 05159962AA

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor – (the sensor on the middle of the fuel rail with 3 wires)
Mopar PN: 97361561, 05159963AA, 68020556AA
Mopar PN: 05093112AA; (OEM Dodge 5.9 diesel, OEM Factory Part Manufactured by Bosch Replaces 0-281-002-921)

Fuel Pressure Solenoid – (on very end of the fuel rail)
Mopar PN: 05159964AA; (OEM Jeep 2.8, SOLENOID. Export. Fuel Pressure)
Duramax 6.6L GM PN 12611872 (can be used in place of PN: 05159964AA)

Notes:
*There are no Jeep or Dodge PN's per say, only Mopar PN's designated for certain applications.
when searching online, be sure and use the Mopar part number just as listed above using the ("0") on the front of the PN!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 am 
LOST Addict

Mopar PN: 05093112AA; (OEM Dodge 5.9 diesel) Is not a fuel pressure solenoid, it's actually a fuel pressure sensor (the thingy in the middle with 3 wires), and it will work in that application in the CRD

Notes on the Fuel Quantity Solenoid on the back of the High Pressure Injection Pump (AKA mprop Fuel Pressure Valve, Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator, etc):
I tried using one from a model of Cummins that has no Fuel PRESSURE solenoid in the rail. I don't know what years this applies to, but in this case, the product is correctly called Fuel Pressure REGULATOR. This is because of the lack of a Fuel Pressure Solenoid in the fuel rail, and is the sole means of regulating pressure.

This model does not work in our CRD application due (IMO) to the much greater fuel flow potential. The control orifice size and shape are such that it requires very near maximum voltage to keep the rail pressure down. I have tried it.

THIS is the genuine OEM CRD part, and this supplier consistently has the lowest price.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:26 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Mopar PN: 05093112AA; (OEM Dodge 5.9 diesel) Is not a fuel pressure solenoid, it's actually a fuel pressure sensor (the thingy in the middle with 3 wires), and it will work in that application in the CRD

Notes on the Fuel Quantity Solenoid on the back of the High Pressure Injection Pump (AKA mprop Fuel Pressure Valve, Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator, etc):
I tried using one from a model of Cummins that has no Fuel PRESSURE solenoid in the rail. I don't know what years this applies to, but in this case, the product is correctly called Fuel Pressure REGULATOR. This is because of the lack of a Fuel Pressure Solenoid in the fuel rail, and is the sole means of regulating pressure.

This model does not work in our CRD application due (IMO) to the much greater fuel flow potential. The control orifice size and shape are such that it requires very near maximum voltage to keep the rail pressure down. I have tried it.

THIS is the genuine OEM CRD part, and this supplier consistently has the lowest price.

Thats Gordon, I updated the post with corrected PN's. Let me know if you see anything that is not correct.

Odd that Oregon Fuel Injection does not list the Fuel Pressure Solenoid on the end of the fuel rail! :roll:
and the Cummins, has a fuel pressure relief valve which I suppose takes the place of the fuel pressure solenoid on our Jeeps? :shock:

These items can get kind of confusing!!! :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch